• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Terrible noisy blacks on BluRay (picture)

tombarnes

Standard Member
Hi all,

I know that this has been a very deeply discussed topic on this and many other forums.

I have a PS3 and a 40inch Full HD Samsung LCD TV. For most things they go very well together and the picture results are extraordinary. But recently I bought 'Earth' on BluRay (Earth [Blu-ray] [2007]: Amazon.co.uk: Patrick Stewart, James Earl Jones, Ulrich Tukur, Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield, Alix Tidmarsh, Amanda Hill, Andre Sikojev, Connie Nartonis Thompson, Don Hahn, Jon Thompson, Melissa Caron, Michael Henrichs, N), and one particular scene (the one in the picture) has VERY dirty flickery white noisy blacks.

Reading other threads similar to this, no-one has come up with a picture, I hope this picture will help resolve my problem.

Since noticing this on the 'Earth' BluRay, I have noticed more and more other noisy blacks when watching other BluRays, but the distortion shown in the picture is the worst by far.

I have tried fiddling with my TV settings, but it only makes small differences.

Can someone tell me what setting it is most likely to be. Sharpness? Contrast? Or any other information that may help.

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 219

LanceR

Distinguished Member
Christ it looks like you have every thing overcooked to the max and then sent to the TV via RF cable!

ARe your sharpness controls maxed out?

I have to say i have never seen a blu ray image look like that.

KRW

Prominent Member
How are you sending the signal to the telly? Try a different way/cable..it looks too bad to be a settings issue to me.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Isnt Earth the edited down version of Planet Earth? because if so then the quality does dip is places as it isnt 100% HD, some is SD footage.

LanceR

Distinguished Member
Isnt Earth the edited down version of Planet Earth? because if so then the quality does dip is places as it isnt 100% HD, some is SD footage.

Indeed but that pic is less than SD it's horrendous, perhaps someone who has it can comment further.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Christ it looks like you have every thing overcooked to the max and then sent to the TV via RF cable!

ARe your sharpness controls maxed out?

I have to say i have never seen a blu ray image look like that.
Indeed, definitely looks like sharpening.

What scene is that from? I'll try and have a look at my Planet Earth disc.

Dave H

Prominent Member
Sharpening or to much Contrast.

tombarnes

Standard Member
Thanks for all the replies. That image is displayed using a HDMI cable from my PS3. I have since found an excellent site with a full guide to setting up my TV here.

I have tried fiddling with the picture settings before. And I really didn't know what I was doing. Just trial and error really, and it never seemed to sort out my blacks. I nearly bought a calibration DVD or BluRay. I wanted to demonstrate in the photo the fuzzyness, so I used the setting I had found to show the problem up the most so it could be seen in the photo.

The mode I was using was 'Dynamic' - an out-of-the-box preset. The dynamic contrast was high, the contrast was 95%, backlight 100%, and colour turned right up. But as I say above, I have played with these settings before, and it has made no difference to the noise.

I am glad to say that the above linked website has sorted out my problem 90%. There is still some noise in that particular scene on 'Earth', so I wonder if it is that BluRay to some extent.

I would highly recommend setting up a TV properly!!! Not only have I got the best picture, I have nearly halved the power consumption of my TV!!!

Tom

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Having it on Dynamic would explain why it looks so shocking, why they need to put that setting on any screen is beyond me as you never want to use it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom