1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible CD recording quality Keane Hopes and Fears

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Crocodile JD, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is it just me or just my recording? It sounds badly distorted at times. It can be heard specifically on track 11 (Untitled 1) from the start over the instrumental intro. There is a snare drum that comes in and it sounds like someone is scrunching up a plastic bag it is so distorted. Also, on 26 seconds, it reminds me of my vinyl days when someone would knock the turntable and you got that horrible stylus wobble in the sound. It's very distinctive and that is just one of them, there are several. I have the so called special edition which is the one with the black cover (ref: CID8145/986657-3 if that means anything?).

Would you give your copy a listen and LMK. Also what about other CDs with bad production quality?

I really want to find out because I've just installed a PC based system at work - M-audio sound card, Foorbar software player (ASIO enabled), headsave headphone amp and Sennheiser cans. The problem is that it seems very analytical to the point where I can pick up faults in many of my CDs that I hadn't heard before. Obviously I've tried the Keane album on other kit to be sure it wasn't my new kit and the errors are still there, but what experiences have you had?

Cheers

Croc

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Are you using replay gain?

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I do have Replygain enabled in the Playback preferrences although I believe you have to scan the tracks to actually activate it. It adds/modifies the code. I did scan the CD which seemed ok but it gives an error on playback to say that it couldn't play a modified file and just plays the original. I think it only works on files that have been burned to hard drive, as mine are on CD it won't modify those.

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Crocodile JD,

You're quite right - it is badly distorted. If you play the disc in media player with the oscilloscope enabled, then you can clearly see 'clipping' occuring. It's a shame really for such a good album.

Regards,
    Ian

5. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find the sound is meant to be like that... Just like most electric guitars are through distorting pedals...

I may be wrong but the only people who will be able to tell you is keane themselves or their producer...

Anyway stop looking for faults and enjoy the music of one of the best new bands for years

6. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starnge, I can hear (a little) the distortion you talk about, but it doesn't strike me as bad. I agree with jimbob, I think it's meant to be there.

I also think that this album is one of the better recorded/produced ones that I've heard. I tend to think bad ones are those that have been compressed (the treble seems to lose definition, and become harsh) or just badly produced (they sound lifeless).

It could just be that your equipment is more capable than mine, though.

7. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ....don't get me wrong guys I love the album, I agree with Ian, with such great music it's a real shame that it is so badly produced
    come on JiMbOb_74 you must be kidding? check out 26 seconds on track 11, no way is that right, it sounds really bad. :thumbsdow Try it with headphones if you've got them, you can't miss it.

Croc

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    hmm I'll give this a try, I've heard distortion in one particular place (the ending to untitled 1 I think - I'll double check) and that's clearly meant to be there.

The opening synths on Bedshaped are a real speaker tearer.

Fantastic album - have the SACD on order...PJ

Update: Re-reading this I presume you must mean the last 26 secs where the percussion goes distorted, as I said it's meant to be like that...