Terrestrial - Sky+ Discrepancy ?....

BoomBoomBarney

Standard Member
Has anyone experienced a difference,(albeit minimal at first glance) between Sky+ and Terrestrial PQ ?

In terrestrial mode I receive a perfect picture,yet suffer slight picture grain when switching to Sky+ ? The colours don't look as vibrant and the picture just looks flatter overall.I should point out that I first noticed the problem a month ago and did not suffer from the difference prior ?

I've spoken to Sky and they inform me that I should pay £65 for an engineer to visit as my 1 yr warranty on their box has just expired,however,my gut feeling is that this is a simple issue that I could possibly resolve without the added expense and time wasted ?

There is also a discrepancy in picture size between the two ?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Well putting aside you didn't have a problem a few months ago:)

By terrestrial do you mean analogue or digital and using an internal tuner?
Either way SKY is broadcast using a different system and even you are watching digitally for both the resolution and bitrate is done on a channel by channel basis and then you have the need to connect a SKY box to the TV via an analogue cable with adds a conversion process which never really helps a signal to remain it's maximum validity. Make sure you are using RGB scart (check the STB settings and TV settings) but at the end of the day the three broadcast formats will look different.

Broadcast ratios are different for analogue and digital, analogue is either 4:3 or 14:9 where as digital channels use 4:3, 14:9, 4:3 Letterbox and 16:9 anamorphic all of which are then processed by the TV which can adds it's own ratio adjustment.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
To get a quality picture from SKY assuming you have a widescreen TV.
Set Sky box output to 16:9 not 4:3, Set to RGB not Pal and use a QUALITY SCART cable, for me a QED scart cable REALLY made the difference (colours became vibrant and the picture sharper), also you can adjust the contrast setting.
Terrestial Freeview is broadcast in 16:9 but set top boxes can be set to 4:3 and are so by default unless you tell it otherwise.
Terrestial Analogue is broadcast these days in 14:9, this is a compromise for all the 4:3 CRT sets still out there.

BoomBoomBarney

Standard Member
Thanks Guys,i've checked and re-checked each area within the current config. and i'm convinced it's the sKY+ box still on the wane:rolleyes:

Do you know if i would be better off suffering the Sky £65 call out fee or search for a local Sky installer ?

BTW,I'm on the Bucks/Sth Oxen border (Thame),if anyone knows of a local engineer/technician ?

freeman

Thanks Guys,i've checked and re-checked each area within the current config. and i'm convinced it's the sKY+ box still on the wane:rolleyes:

Do you know if i would be better off suffering the Sky £65 call out fee or search for a local Sky installer ?

BTW,I'm on the Bucks/Sth Oxen border (Thame),if anyone knows of a local engineer/technician ?
Won't the £65 call out from Sky get you a recon box if yours is on the way out ? I doubt a local engineer would/could do the same ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom