terrestial and ntl analogue cable, compatible?...

N

neily

I have ntl analogue cable. (Can't get digital :-() So I have upgraded my aerial to enable me to receive Freeview digital through my iDTV. I want to be able to run both ntl and freeview, but there seems to be interference on most channels when I connect both feeds from cable and terrestial into my setup.

How can I solve this problem. Please help.

Originally posted by neily
I have ntl analogue cable. (Can't get digital :-() So I have upgraded my aerial to enable me to receive Freeview digital through my iDTV. I want to be able to run both ntl and freeview, but there seems to be interference on most channels when I connect both feeds from cable and terrestial into my setup.

How can I solve this problem. Please help.

I think that you'll need to be a bit more specific about how you've got everything connected up at present, before anyone can offer any advice.

my terrestial aerial lead goes into my video via a 2-way adapter, so I plug my RF lead from my SAT box also into the 2 way adapter which goes into my video. The RF out from my video then goes into the TV. The TV is connected to the video also by scart. Is there anything else u need to know?

Originally posted by neily
my terrestial aerial lead goes into my video via a 2-way adapter, so I plug my RF lead from my SAT box also into the 2 way adapter which goes into my video. The RF out from my video then goes into the TV. The TV is connected to the video also by scart. Is there anything else u need to know?

Ahhhhh... The mists begin to clear ;)

Digital terrestrial + 2-way RF splitter = :(

The DTT signal is a notoriously fussy b*gger. Unlike analogue, the digital signal is very poor at tolerating low signal strength. It's more of an 'all or nothing' situation (this is an over-simplification of course, but you get the point).

Plug you're aerial down lead directly into the iDTV. Then use the RF out socket on the TV (assuming that it has one) to pass through the analogue terrestrial to the VCR. If you want the analogue cable connected in as well, you could try running the RF out from the TV to the RF in on the cable box, then taking the RF out from the CB and connecting it to the RF in on the VCR. This set up would mean that you would have to watch analogue cable through the VCR (via the scart connection), but that should be acceptable.

My advice would be to connect up as described, then see how it all looks. If you see some loss of picture quality on analogue due to reduction in signal from all the connections, then try adding a signal booster. Could try either between TV and CB, or or between CB and VCR. (DTT doesn't seem to like RF amplifiers much either, judging by the experiences on these forums!)

Hope this gets you started :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom