• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be down from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for quite some time while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Terratec NOXON iRadio or Magicbox IMP Radio

CelticChris

Hi

I can't decide between these two devices:

Terratec NOXON iRadio
Magicbox IMP Radio

Could someone please advice on which is the better one? My girlfriend wants a DAB radio for the kitchen, but I reckon one of these internet radio/mp3 streamers would be better.

Can they both stream BBC One Radio Live through my wireless router without the need of a PC being turned on?

Can they both stream BBC One Radio Archived Shows through my wireless router without the need of a PC being turned on?

Can they both stream MP3 from a PC?

I believe they both have an integrated speaker, or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance
Chris

andrew1810

Hi

I can't decide between these two devices:

Terratec NOXON iRadio
Magicbox IMP Radio

Could someone please advice on which is the better one? My girlfriend wants a DAB radio for the kitchen, but I reckon one of these internet radio/mp3 streamers would be better.

Can they both stream BBC One Radio Live through my wireless router without the need of a PC being turned on?

Can they both stream BBC One Radio Archived Shows through my wireless router without the need of a PC being turned on?

Can they both stream MP3 from a PC?

I believe they both have an integrated speaker, or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance
Chris
They both do have an integrated speaker and will both stream MP3 from a PC quite happily.

For your needs, I would recommend the MagicBox ImpRadio as it supports Real Audio

The BBC stations are currently in Real Audio format and although they are gradually moving over to WMA (which will work on the Noxon), the listen again stuff still hasn't been moved across.

For radio, neither need a PC switched on, simply connect to a wireless network and away you go.

I had the ImpRadio for a couple of weeks and it worked perfectly with BBC stations (and thousands of others on there)

Hope this helps

Andrew

godfarter

Novice Member
Hi celticchris,

which one did you decide on in the end?

i was considering the IMP and the Acoustic Energy for last Christmas and just when it seemed to swing in the IMP's favour (i even had already called Comet to hold one for me at their store for me to go down to collect) i had a complete change of heart and went for the Noxon iRadio in the end

What did it for me?
  1. The Imp had been around for awhile whereas the Noxon iRadio had come out more recently
  2. The option for ethernet connection in the back
  3. The retro design of the Noxon iRadio appealed to me
  4. Cool website presentation (haha i'm a sucker for such things)

After having it for about a month and more, I've been pretty pleased with my purchase. The firmware update added the ability for podcasting and dimmer screen lights, can't wait to see what else they can improve with the next update.

Some gripes about my iRadio:
  1. I love the fact that you can access music from your computer's hard disk over a wifi connection but there's a lag between scrolling down and changing folders
  2. Remote control seems to have a short range but it could be time to change new batteries (after less than 2 months?)
  3. Reciva for AE/Imp vs vTuner for the Noxon iRadio: I dont know about Reciva but I'm not to impressed with the vTuner interface so far
  4. I bought it in the hope of listening to uk stations like LBC and another station EWTN but i can't (iradio only plays mp3/mms radio streams)

whatever the case, i still love it!

K

kbp

Does any of you know if it is possible to specify an exact stream? Eg. if I have a device that can compile/generate a mp3-stream on my wifi-network.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom