1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terratec EWX 24/96

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I've just installed a Terratec EWX 24/96 which on paper at least could be better the the M-Audio Audiophile card. I haven't managed to get proper DD/DTS passthru working yet, but I am running Windows XP so probably no real suprise. CD playback though really is superb, I actually thought that my Live! wasn't that bad, but this blows it out of the water. I now have the best hifi that I've ever owned and its a PC!

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeff,

I have briefly tried Windows XP with M-Audio DeltaDio2496 and had no luck with AC3 or DTS pass-thru.

How are you connecting Terratec to your audio system (SPDIF or analogue)?

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Branxx ]

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It's connected via toslink to a Denon AVC-A1SE. I have now reverted to my Windows 98 build and installed the released (non beta) drivers. It all works as it should do, quality is excellent. Its so difficult to do a before and after comparison, CD play is miles better and I'm fairly sure that DVD sound is also improved but it's a bit more difficult to quantify, more oomph and detail i would say. I'm also much happier having the PC connected via optical rather than coax (no chance of it blowing up my amp)

Jeff

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where did you get it

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I got it from here http://www.makingwavesaudio.co.uk/

They also sell the Audiophile.

I'll have a proper play with it tonight, the footy and a few beers got in the way yesterday. :)

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeff,

This message of yours is just about 1 month old. Being a computer man myself, at first I was equally suspicious about merits of a different sound card believing bits-are-bits.

On the other hand having invested in a fairly expensive hi-fi system (set of M&K professional monitors and a battery of Bryson amplifiers) it looked strange that I should try to save £100 by using SB Live rather than trying one of the professional sound cards. Well that was a year ago.

I agree with your assestment of sound quality improvement and firmly believe that a properly configured HTPC will offer serious competition, in terms of audio quality, to any similarly priced consumer CD player.

AFAIK Terratec EWX 24/96, M-Audio DeltaDIo2496, M-Audio Audiophile 24 and Hoontech AudioDSP24 are all based on ENVY sound DSP chip, so performance should be similar. To make next jump in quality we should probably need to look at higher spec pro audio cards.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring that one up. :) Before someone else digs it up I also changed my mind on the Radeon, having gone from a Radeon AIW to a Geforce 2 and now back to a Radeon 64 DDR. Actually the main reason for changing to the Terratec was that I have been listening to more and more music and that I knew that with music the Terratec would make a big difference. As it is it does seem to have benefited DVD sound as well.

Jeff