• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Terraria

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Hey, anyone seen or playing this game?

Dont know too much about it myself, just watching youtube videos now.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGo7iMUcxLc

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uOhFTrrq0&feature=youtu.be

Someones 1st play
YouTube - ‪Terraria Ep.1 - Shelter‬‏

The obvious way to explain it is 2D minecraft, (not that minecraft was the first game ever, but everyone can relate to it) loads of things similar.

Crafting, day night cycle, monsters at night etc.

About the Game
Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.

Grab your tools and go! Make weapons to fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes. Dig deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things. Gather resources to create everything you need to make the world your own. Build a house, a fort, or even a castle. People will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey.

But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?

Key features:
Sandbox Play
Randomly generated worlds
Free Content Updates

Seams to have much more content than minecraft as in NPC's and also maybe a story or at least boss battles.

----------

Purchased this today and had a few hrs on it already, still finding my way round.

The wiki is def needed, as with Minecraft.

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki

Last edited:

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the tip, I picked this up this morning and got about 20 mins to play with it!.....

A nice little fun game. I tried Minecraft, but couldn't really get into it. I kind of like the retro 2D looks and it seems a lot simpler.

Would recommend it, a nice change from the blockbusters (as I await my LA Noire copy :p ).

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Yep been on it more today, it def needs a read though a guide, or a youtube video watch or you'll just not know what to do.
Really enjoying it so far.

Been recommended to play a small world to start with as it loads, saves faster & items are not so spread apart..

I just been looking for a printable crafting guide to all items, so if you find one post it please.

I need some armoury and better weapons.

Next mission, off down the caves to find & kill a skeleton to get the grappling hook!!! :D

I also need to make my bed my spawn, needs certain requirements.

Enjoying it, very much a 2D minecraft, but possibly more content i'd say.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Haha, this little game is dam addictive.... probably ranks up with the best 10 euros I have spent on Steam.

Currently busy mining away underneath my little forest hut. I am on a small map too, however, it seems to be really massive anyway. Not sure how it really works with the materials, I dunno if you are supposed to go further away and they are easier to find. Finding pockets of ore is really difficult.

If I go too far from house, just end up with slimes with stupid amounts of hit points that take 2 damage from my little wooden weapons.

Just before I logged off, finally got my Iron Pickaxe and Copper armour... looking forward to getting back to the mining with that new pickaxe :)

Personally I like it better than Minecraft, you can't create an impressive world, but it gives the same type of gameplay without the headaches of really having to plan your constructions out :)

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Glad some people are liking it, i'm hooked.

Finally, got my bed as my spawn, that will save me hassle.

You keep all your items when you die, so now my bed is spawn i can go off exploring, and not really worry about dying, although you got to get all the way back again!

Im still pretty weak, so need to make some armour, and better weapons.
Im after killing a skeleton, so i can make the grappling hook, that sounds fun.

Could really do with a printed out full guide to what items you can make, as it will give me some goals to work to, then i can really go out fighting the enemy's and do some boss battles.

Still so much to do, need to build more houses so the NPC's will move in, so the nurse can heal me and i can buy items from the shop keeper.

My current house

Attachments

• 2011-05-24_00001.jpg
    2011-05-24_00001.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,982
Last edited:

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Nice house :)

I just got started on my castle and built the foundations for my first tower..... trying to get the NPCs to move in as well.

Currently decided to dig a really deep mineshaft to see where I end up :)

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Have you been out to the sides of the map?

It all goes wired and scary!

Loving this game!

Because you dont have to start a new character again with each world, its kind of like a massive RPG, i see youtube videos and people have laser guns, jet packs and fancy rocket boots!
Mana to cast spells, loads of equipment, big boss battles, you have to summon up the bosses!

And here's me struggling to make a grappling hook and a crappy copper hat for protection lol, its go so far to go.

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Is there any multiplayer?

I've not played this but if it's like Minecraft then the Multiplayer will really make the game something different.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member

I've not played this but if it's like Minecraft then the Multiplayer will really make the game something different.

Yes, there is Multiplayer :) You can set up servers and the like. Haven't tried it in multiplayer, there is enough to get on with just at the start.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
:eek:!

Spoilered -->
Just went wondering, and came across a big castle!!, there was a guy outside who said, 'lift my curse and i will let you in?', He also said 'come back at night', however i could go in the castle, so i went in and was descending down when a massive skull with 6000 damage came and killed me!!!!!
:eek:

Just read upon this and its something to go back to waaaay later on!!

Last edited:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

Have you not seen the Yogscast videos of Simon and Lewis playing this Iccz?

I'll probably buy it at some point, but not anytime soon (note: this means I'll probably buy it this weekend at daft o'clock when extremely drunk :D)

The Bass

I've played it for a bit, just multiplayer though as I have no interest in single player. It feels less finished than Minecraft even though I thought it was meant to be a full release. I like how there are actually things to do though like kill bosses and hordes of enemies unlike Minecraft where you get diamond to get more diamond to get more diamond. I think I'll hold off buying until they've significantly updated it to fix the mp lag, glitches and add more mobs that aren't just different coloured slimes.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
I keep returning to this thread and looking at the 8bit little lad swinging his pickaxe......

I dont need a multiplayer game though. Is this all perfectly playable in single player? Enough mining and crafting and exploring withut the need for other people to spoil my fun?

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I'm opposite of Bass, i have no interest in MP.

Ive not touched MP at all, and its highly entertaining me, theres boss battles you can summon up, but im nowhere near that stage.

Best thing i can suggest is have a read of the wiki: Terraria Wiki - Terraria Wiki see if it interests you, and watch some youtube videos.

As i said, people have rocket boots, lasers, magic spells etc. i'm still in a mud hut, with a metal sword, quite a way to go yet and my steam account says ive played 7 hours already.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Another hour passed, another mini adventure, something i didnt know about and just discovered. :)

I think its best not to read too much about this game if your gonna get it.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I have clocked up 6 hours now, have a copper suit of armour, with googles. Started my little castle off and busy exploring.

I find it difficult to go for long sittings on the game, but as a title that you can pick up, spend an hour or so pottering around, it is really great.

I hope they add some more enemies too, a little bit more variety in the underground. Although it can sometimes get annoying when you are trying to do something constructive and a stream of goo keeps coming at you!

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Im actually wanting slimes at the moment, you need to get 60 silver coins for the shop keeper to move in.

On a massive dig down mission at the moment. killed loads of skeletons but none have dropped a grapple hook yet. :(

oasismark

Distinguished Member
10 hours played now.

Got copper armour, mining helmet that lights up the dark! found a lucky horseshoe, that stops falling damage.

Gold Sword!

Lovin it.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Just bought it. :D LOL @ 16mb! I have excel documents bigger than that!

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Just bought it. :D LOL @ 16mb! I have excel documents bigger than that!

Hope you enjoy it, its actually drawing me in more than LA Noire is to be honest.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Right, played about 3 hours last night. Without too many spoilers as such, what do I need to be looking at next?

I have cleaned out an underground area and put doors on it, as Zombies can beat down doors, I put a earth 'plug' to stop from being assualted from above.

As the creepers kept spoiling my house, I have built it with stone, placing torches often for lighting.

Dug out pockets of water, dispersing them below.

Burrowed sideways and downwards, hitting worms while mining.

There are these weird 'worm mouth' like things that looking like they are spewing out bees, I just blocked these in with stone - what are they?

I have an Anvil, and on the advice of the helper bloke, built a table and chairs (is this suppposed to attract people?) - if true, I should remove the plug really :D

I have a bronze short sword, and dont have the option to make armour - I have tons of copper, but not much Iron, I dont think I have much wood as I am burrowing underground more.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Make a bed to set your spawn point.
Make more houses and NPC's will move in when certain goals are achieved.
Explore the world, left, right & up as well as just down. Also keep going down (
apparently it goes down to hell
:devil:)
Mine for minerals, you need quite a lot to make stuff.
Search for chests in mines & dungeons, these hold special items.

What i do, is have a look in the wiki for something that looks interesting, weapons or equip-able items, find out what components are needed to craft it, then go looking for those things. I'm still after a grappling hook from a skeleton, but none have dropped one yet. Just read that if i go get a
Water Candle
from a
Dungeon
there's more chance rare items will be dropped, it will also attract more enemies tho. My next job. :)

I felt quite vulnerable at first, but now with my armour, gold sword and mining helmet, i can deal with slimes quite quick, and have a decent expedition.

Last edited:

The New Black

Standard Member
I keep watching videos of this game and thinking 'I can't see the appeal,' but most of the people I know who's played it are raving about it. I like minecraft, but a similar concept in just two dimensions isn't really grabbing my attention.

Perhaps it's one of them games you simply have to play to know if it's good or not?

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Make a bed to set your spawn point.
Make more houses and NPC's will move in when certain goals are achieved.

What is the definition of a house - something enclosed with a door, a table, lighting and chairs? Anything else I am missing to qualify as a house?

I did have a sneaky peek at the wiki, so know what I need to make a bed now - I nearly had everything I think.

In your pic above, you have 'wooden slats?' do they enable you to jump 'through' them to go upwards? I keep making stone or earth steps, but you have to spend ages to get them to work both left and right.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
What is the definition of a house - something enclosed with a door, a table, lighting and chairs? Anything else I am missing to qualify as a house?

I did have a sneaky peek at the wiki, so know what I need to make a bed now - I nearly had everything I think.

In your pic above, you have 'wooden slats?' do they enable you to jump 'through' them to go upwards? I keep making stone or earth steps, but you have to spend ages to get them to work both left and right.

Yep i use the 'slats' all the time, you can jump up through them, and also drop down through them. :thumbsup:

A house for NPC's has to include table, chair, and a light source i think.

A house is a structure that meets the following criteria:

Has side and back walls, a floor, and a ceiling. The back walls must be uniform, as two different wall types leave a small gap. You can cover this with blocks to allow for settlement, but otherwise NPCs won't move in.
Has a table and a chair.
Has a door in a wall or a Wood Platform in the ceiling or floor.
Has a light source.
Is at least 7 blocks wide and 5 blocks tall, not including walls, floor or ceiling.

To set the player spawn point using a bed, the size and wall requirements must be met.

An NPC requires a house to spawn. For an NPC to move in, the house must also be unoccupied. To forcefully move an NPC to another house, simply destroy any of the house requirements listed above (e.g. table) and make sure you have an unoccupied house available for the NPC to move in.

But for a bed

The Bed is a piece of Furniture you can set your spawn to, which can be useful if your house isn't near your spawn. Once a bed has been placed you can right-click it to set its location as your new spawn point.

For a bed to function properly and allow you to set your spawn point, the following criteria must be met:

The bed must have enough space. The interior must be at least 8 blocks wide and 4 block high.
The room's exterior walls must be crafted from material other than dirt such as wood, stone, or bricks .
The background wall must also be crafted from a material other than dirt or dungeon brick.

If the requirements are met, right clicking the bed should set your spawn and show the message "Spawn point set!".

Ive highlighted one bit as i made it out of the wrong stuff and was stuck for ages.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom