1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terminator SE R2 - Disc Problem

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tayke, Jun 7, 2002.

1. tayke

tayke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a copy of the Terminator Special Edition DVD when it was first released and it played fine. On trying to watch it again tonight the disc kept pausing. On closer inspection the disc has a sort of 'mist' under the surface which I don't recall seeing when I bought it. I have another MGM disc (The Silence Of The Lambs) and this does not have the same problem. None of my other discs seemed affected. I am assuming it is a manufacturing fault and would obviously like the discs replaced. Can anyone advise me how I go about getting this done, as I no longer have the receipt and the MGM website - where I've left a message - is U.S. based?
    Thanks.

2. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Where did you get it from?

Take it back.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just checked my copy and its like that too, havn't played it in a while though.

Nicked from uk.media.dvd:-

MGM Home Entertainment Europe
    5 Kew Road
    Richmond
    Surrey
    TW9 2PR
    Fax: 020-8939-9314

For UK DVD enquiries you should contact Darren, Alice or Alex at DNA.

There number is as follows: 020 7851 8627
    darrenN_O@S_p_a_Mdna-pr.com
    aliceN_O@S_p_a_Mdna-pr.com
    alexN_O@S_p_a_Mdna-pr.com

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't own up to stealing anything on here. You never know who is reading.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    [edit]

Mine plays fine, but it DOES have the misting!!! :mad: :mad:

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS. Forgot to add - Mines still ok.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, reading this thread made me go and check my copy (bought on day of release), and both the feature and the extras disc has this strange 'mist' almost like condensation on the disc below the surface.
    I've not had chance to check the disc yet (as my TV expired pre Jubilee weekend and it's still not back from the repair shop) so I don't know if playback has been affected.
    Like tayke, my other discs appear OK so must assume a manufacturing fault. I'll be contacting MGM on Monday, thanks for the info, Cybersoga.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed the "mist" on several of my DVDs and CDs. It's never affected playback however (even after several years in the case of the CDs). I can only presume it's something to do with the bonding of the various components of the disk.

9. tayke

tayke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who replied - Especially cybersoga for the UK contact details.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tayke,

Have you had any sucess? I sent an e-mail to Darren as above on Monday with no response. I phoned on Tuesday, and spoke with him and he said he had not got my e-mail. I explained the problem with the disc, and he said he was not aware of any problems and that it was not his dept, he was just PR, but he would pass the details on to MGM. I sent another e-mail, but so far, have heard nothing. I was going to give it a week, then contact them again.

11. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked mine

disk one (main feature) is fine but disk two (extras) has the condensation, it also feels slightly tacky and wont play at all

12. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just checked mine- both discs appear to be affected, but start to play ok. Have not had time to examine the rest of my discs, will do that tomorrow. ps mine are R2. Are all others R1 or R2? Vmax

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine are R2, as I believe the others are. I will be ringing Darren at DNA again today, as I have had no response to my last two e-mails. I'll post again with any uodate

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

I've also just checked my copy. I own the two-disc, single-sided Region 1 edition, and both discs are as clear and clean, as the day I bought them.

Pooch

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked my reg2 special edition (2 disc) and both discs have the misting on them, although they don't feel tacky. There are also some finger marks in the mist. But both discs play okay, just watching it fact and hadn't realised how great it sounds.

16. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has the finger marks too. As i said mine wont play at all so i wonder if its something that will get worse with time.

17. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any news about this yet?

I have just emailed play247.com who I bought the disc from. I dont know if they will replace it as it must be over a year now. I am hoping they will, as I am quite a good customer of theirs but I have asked if they can advise me.
    Surely they must have had discs returned and be aware of the problem

18. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have the R1 single disc 2 sided version which is clean as a whistle and plays both sides fine.

dr_mabuse

19. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have checked my R2 and both discs have gone cloudy although they do still play. Was bought when originally released last year.
    First time I have ever seen this on any of my DVDs so does look like some manufacturing fault, letting condensation between the layers or under the covering.

My R1 does not have any problems and still looks normal.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spoken to Darren at DNA. He said he forwarded my original e-mail to MGM but has not yet had a reply. He will chase it up and get back to me. He also suggested writing to MGM at the address previously posted by cybersoga. He couldn't (wouldn't) give me an e-mail address for them. Does anyone else have one?
    It certainly seems as though there is some sort of manufacturing fault here, with so many people reporting their discs affected in this way, both on this forum and on uk.media.dvd.
    Perhaps if we all complain to MGM, something might get done to address the problem.
    Maybe there is someone from Total DVD reading this, who may like to investigate on our behalf?

I'll post any updates I get.

21. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a reply from play247.com. They say they wont replace faulty discs after 28 days.

I have informed them that the disc was not faulty in the first 28 days. I have also pointed out that I sometimes will not watch a DVD within the first 28 days and if I do there may be a gap of 2 or 3 years before I watch it again.

This puts me in a position where i would be unable to obtain a replacement.

Having bought in the region of 400 DVDs from play in the past few years I expected better service

22. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen this policy of Play before. Seems a reasonable time to test any new DVD you buy and protects them from you returning scratched etc disks.

However does not answer your problem this time which is caused by a manufacturing fault which develops over time.

Rather than try MGM (the studio) have you considered approaching 20th Century Fox who I believe distribute the DVDs in the UK on behalf of MGM (worth checking the back of the case). As distributors it is more likely to be them and the manufacturers / presssers fault.

23. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcy

Thanks for that

I agree that Play need this policy to protect themselves. However I feel they should have a little flexibility and make decisions on a case by case basis.

24. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    MGM were also responsible for the Robocop DVD which did not work. They did not seem remotely interested in replacing those from new, so I don't suppose they will replace year old discs either. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My R2 SE Terminator is also affected by the misting (both discs)

26. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Surely this is a Trading Standards issue? "Goods of a merchantable quality" etc. The whole point of DVD was that it did not deteriorate like VHS and would last a lifetime?
    Vmax

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its obviously a manufacturing fault that gets worse with time, mine have the mist but play perfectly, however this could quite easily change so I'd rather get them replaced. I see what I can find out. My retail law is a little hazy, i'm not sure if it's play's problem (or Virgin Megastore's in my case) or MGM. Can anyone answer that with any authority, bearing in mind that the fault has developed over time?

28. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a simple solution.

We could go out and buy/order a brand new copy of these discs, then return the faulty ones and demand a refund.

Normally I would never consider this however, having spent around 6 grand with play over the past 4 years I expected more help from them with this matter

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes we could, but do we know that the problem has been rectified or are we the first to complain?

you're a bit devious aren't you:D ;)

30. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes indeed I am when the situation calls for it;)

I have also cancelled all of my outstanding orders with play247:mad:

I have emailed a DVD magazine about this, maybe they can reach a wider audience? If nothing is done it is only my extras disc which is affected and I never watch them anyway.