1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

terminator milking the public AGAIN

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by SILVERBACK, May 23, 2003.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO SAY THEY COULDNT DO ANYMORE MILKING WITH THE FRANCHISE HERE COMES THE REGION2 BOXSET,is there no end to the greed of dvd makers lol its bad enough you have a new evil dead every fortnight but terminator is close on its tail lol.http://www.dvddebate.com/r2news.php#Terminator 1 & 2 Box Set

2. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But is it worth it if you have neither film on DVD yet?

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes :smashin:

Excellent "series" IMHO.

I have several copies of both the terminator & T2, but just about to order the "HD" version of T2 - aptly named T2 Extreme!

Can't really see the logic behind this "new" boxset, but defo worth a buy for any non "Terminator" owner.

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    As I don't own either on DVD it looks ideal for me :)
    Time to throw away the VHS versions me thinks

5. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

There's a 4 DVD set coming out in France called The Final Edition

I don't see any problem with this as these companies (most of them bankrupt -including the company that made the film) have to make money. If they don't make money they won't release DVDs...

I own the Region 1 Ultimate Edition and I'm very pleased with it. Why anyone would want to update from that edition is beyond me -but whatever floats their boat.

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :nono:
    Both these films already have their "ultimate" incarnations on DVD anyway. T2:UE and T1:SE are fantastic, why would anyone want any more? The new soundtrack on T1:SE was particularly good. I must admit that extras aren't a big thing for me though, the print/soundtrack are far more important.

But if they did something like a 1080p version of both movies (without having to hook a PC up in the living room), I'd be very interested. Until then the above versions will do me fine.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with your sentiment, but the problem I have with it is that we're never told. If only more DVDs were released like Lord of the Rings, then we would know in advance whether we should wait or not instead of trying to second guess things all the time :(

Same here. Having seen the comparison screenshots of the 'amazing new Hi-Def transfer' on the Extreme Edition compared to the Ultimate Edition, I'll give it a miss. Hardly any difference (most are down to the way the person doing the comparison chose the screenshots). Plus the Extreme Edition doesn't include the ultimate cut of the movie. And hey, anyone who buys the Extreme Edition is helping Microsoft gain a further foothold in the DVD market - and with us all needing to use N American proxy servers to run the damn WMP9 version, that's a terrible thing indeed. Proxy servers today, but who knows what tomorrow ...

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed, going to those lengths just to watch a movie is ridiculous. I don't care how stupid it sounds, but I've worked in IT for many years, and know enough to say that Microsoft are EVIL. I've yet to pay for a version of Windows or Office, and won't be buying an XBox either. They make enough money from extorting small and large businesses alike IMO.

They completely undermine each sector they do business in, and I for one don't want to see them do the same to home cinema.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point is, give Microsoft enough scope and they will really screw us up.

Forget illegal software and how they combat that - if you didn't buy the software and you can't use it, then fair game. It's illegal after all.

But imagine Microsoft taking that approach with DVDs, as they're already proving they're happy to do. We've bought a Reg 1 (or other region) DVD, we have a legal original, but we're in the wrong country and they won't let us use it! I shudder to think what things might be like with "MS-DVDs" several years from now. I really do.

10. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with your sentiment, but the problem I have with it is that we're never told.

Told what? :)

The original (excellent) T2 was released many many moons ago (3-4 years- which is a long time in DVD time) and I guess things tend to get updated. If we didn't update we'd all be running around in Ladas and calling each other comrade :D

I'd say T2 is an extra special case due to T3 coming out and as the rights owners (Universal/Vivendi/StudioCanal etc -which the French courts were going to bankrupt) need all the dosh they can get.

I think I've updated 3 of my DVDs to different versions and those discs were well over 3 years old. I can't imagine me updating many more of my 500 or so. It's back-catalogue I want.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough mate. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like a crystal ball :D

I've 'upgraded' several of my DVDs. Couldn't tell you how many, but certainly more than 3. The latest one to be updated will be "There's Something About Mary" in June. I don't normally bother if it's just new extras, but this time it's an extended cut :) Shame they didn't just do the extended cut the first time round though :suicide:

12. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough mate. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like a crystal ball

I'm sure it would be more comfortable to have the 2 mate :D

I've 'upgraded' several of my DVDs. Couldn't tell you how many, but certainly more than 3. The latest one to be updated will be "There's Something About Mary" in June. I don't normally bother if it's just new extras, but this time it's an extended cut Shame they didn't just do the extended cut the first time round though

I still have my 'old' Something About Mary -very pleased with it. I guess the best thing you can say to persuade yourself is you're getting added value. Of course as long as that's true. We all love movies though so I don't see owt to complain about as it's supporting film-makers.

The last disc I updated was Trainspotting. The Candian disc cost me £7. Sold it for £8 and bought the new 2-disc (from the same bankrupt Universal who own T2) UK set for £10.40. That's no big loss and I WANT to support the guys that made that film and of course the distributor.

That's why I don't buy copied DVDs.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, thank goodness for trading forums. I sold my old copy of Mary. Lost a few bob on it, but at least what I got for it goes towards funding the new version, which only cost £11 or £12 from DVDSoon :)

No pirate DVDs have ever and will ever enter my player. I like the whole package :blush: :D and refuse to give anyone any money for just giving me essentially a blank disk that took them 40 minutes to copy something onto, stuffed in a case with a blurred photocopied cover :thumbsdow

14. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the T2 Ultimate edition a couple of years ago & I'm not buying any more versions thank you!

15. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if these "new" R2 releases have the original mono track and the proper text intro for T1? I also wouldn't mind having the the original theatrical cut for T2 which wasn't included on the R2 release...
    I might consider buying them then, as long as there cheap :(

16. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have bought the ultimate edition on Region 1 and its fantastic. However, I do also own the Special edition on Laser disc and have just bought the collectors edition on LD too. Although the DVD is better picture, the LD just looks cool in a big fancy (leather trimmed??) case. Also planning on buying this Extreme jobby too.

Yup - one of my fave films.

Question for you guys tho - I have entered the special code on the DVD to get the super-dooper-mega-extended-edition, but mine has Directors commentry on it. Is this always the case, or is my DVD not working as it should?? Can someone let me know, it would be appreciated...

Cheers!!

Paul.

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only tried it once, but it played without commentary on mine by default. Didn't even try to see if there was a commentary to be honest.