Terminator: Dark Fate Review & Comments

maverick177uk

Have to agree with the review, this should’ve been Terminator 3 and forget the rest, the opening sequence effectively means the other films don’t exist anyway. Arnie brings that little bit of humour to it and his chosen job :D
Linda Hamilton comes across a lot better than she did in the Graham Norton show as well :facepalm:Great action sequences however how many time’s can the future be stopped as with everything it calls in to case that they can just keep sending Terminators back ad infinitum, time to stop now I think.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Cas going against the stream it seems? I'm not sure I'll be going to the cinema for this, but we'll see, Cas' review has kinda put the cat among the pigeons. TBO it's probably this or Metallica S&M 2

Have to agree with the review, this should’ve been Terminator 3 and forget the rest, the opening sequence effectively means the other films don’t exist anyway. Arnie brings that little bit of humour to it and his chosen job :D
Linda Hamilton comes across a lot better than she did in the Graham Norton show as well :facepalm:Great action sequences however how many time’s can the future be stopped as with everything it calls in to case that they can just keep sending Terminators back ad infinitum, time to stop now I think.
Yeah she didn't win me over on Graham Norton.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas, off to see this next Wednesday, so looking forward to it.

kahlua

thanks cas,glad its not a disaster,think ill hit the cinema for it.

THX1138UK

Based on the terrible trailer, I was expecting the worst, but the (mostly) positive review has peaked my interest, and I shall make an effort to go and see this at the cinema.

Until now I was planning on avoiding it!

Regards,
James.

UMAR 3:16

Wow... wasn’t expecting this. Looking forward to watching it now..... when it arrives on 4K!

Slinkywizard

Cas going against the stream it seems? I'm not sure I'll be going to the cinema for this, but we'll see, Cas' review has kinda put the cat among the pigeons. TBO it's probably this or Metallica S&M 2

Yeah she didn't win me over on Graham Norton.
The man liked it. Fair play. I like plenty of movies that critics hate. It's a good trait.

mb3195

thanks Cas, T2 is still my favourite film of all time, still remember queuing up as a nervous 13 year old trying to convince as a 15 year old!!

Early trailers on this looked absolutely terrible, so nice to hear that they have made a decent attempt. Still think I'll wait for the 4k release though.

spikecast

Review is spot on. 7.5 for me, doesn't really add anything new, it's definitely played it safe but it's easily the 3rd best terminator film. The original two will never be surpassed, products of their time as well.

Dean

Good to hear it's not a turkey Cas. Have to say that the trailers looked awful and I didn't have much hope for this at all.

DrHarvey12

Thanks for the review Cas. Off to see it on Saturday morning and now I'm starting to really look forward to it after reading your review.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Wasn't expecting that, if the score wasn't on the header I may not have even read the review (no offence Cas, your reviews are of course fantastic & timely). Interest peaked!

Arno586

Banned
Due to the nature of the trailer seen, i have some compelling wrong feelings against that new Terminator. Everything was done and told at the highest point of Arnold's career; Jim Cameron was probably the king of Hollywood and art mixed with financial side effects were the regular basis of the viewers. Now i think, from a strictly personal point of view, that it was not necessary to bring back the franchise again, standing on old recipes that are now stale and hard to swallow. The review is vg though, so later i will check that out probably on video, just because i like to take some distance from immediate reviews, comments and the potential wrong feelings i may have from this new flick.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Sounds like this may finally be mankind's last best hope...
Cheers, Cas.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Cheers Cas , a very real T3 to get on board with and enjoy for what it is :smashin: . Took their own bloody time to get there , but hey timelines are a bitch, ain't they :).

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Great to hear they're back on track, they've been getting progressively worse til now.

gfreek

Cas I think you're being generous with your review, I would give it more a score of 5! Yes it's better then the last 3 garbage we've had but this is still average at best nothing new original just a mismash of the first two films! I don't know why Arnie is even in this he was a joke!

I hope they stop at this enough is enough! The T1 & T2 still the best!

Indiana Jones

Caught it at 3pm this afternoon, as others have said it’s definitely the best sequel since T2 and while it plays things fairly safe I found it enjoyable enough.

Hats off to the
de-ageing at the beginning, some of the best I have seen or was it just unseen footage from T2?

greenline

i saw it today. i would only give it 6.5/10. it was "ok" not amazing, no big twists.. the trailer pretty much tells the whole story.

slight spoiler:
i thought the de-ageing in the 1998 flashback looked pretty cool.. definitely a marked improvement in special effects.

but imo the glimpse into the future war ("flashback") shown in this movie has got to be the worst in any terminator film . the terminators are over the top, almost reminded me of the matrix. i know its only a movie but every other terminator film made it seem like they were metal, heavy machines in this future war not flying spaghetti monsters.

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
The trailers looked so bad that I'll wait for the iTunes rental. Also getting a bit fed up with the virtue signalling grandstanding that pervades everything lately. Disappointed to hear that it's present once again.

Evinger

Thanks for the Review, Cas. Definitely want to see this one :)

Diagnosticz

Thanks Cas as usual always a good read. I did have my doubts on this being a flop, so nice to see a decent score will be checking this out over the weekend at my local Greenwich odeon

richp007

Distinguished Member
What are these "other" Terminator films everyone are talking about?! There's only been two :D

Cheers Cas. Just simply has to be a big screen jobber for the return of Arnie and Linda.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Decent enough, some really good set pieces let down at times by wonky CGI that they really should have sorted before release.

Liked the cast, I had no idea about how they were going to set up the story so that was unexpected and a good start, but otherwise it felt like a greatest hits of the first two films. The franchise is built on a never ending chase by an unstoppable killing machine, so not really sure how much more there is to mine there.

A few moments where I rolled my eyes, but I found myself having fun with the movie pretty early on, so on the whole I enjoyed it and am glad I saw it on the big screen.

7.5-8/10

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
I think Cas's review is pretty spot on. I got home today, and saw the review on the avforums front page. I thought - bollocks - I'm off to the cinema to see it and told the boss to get her gear on.

Well, there were only about 20 people in the screen - which surprised me. Maybe they've been put off by the last two movies.

But I had a great deal more fun at the cinema than I've had for quite a while. There was some amazing stunt work, but blow me down, it actually had a bit of a story and fully formed characters that you actually cared about. The cast were all up for it, and it showed.

It was a bit PC preachy in places, but it was a blast, and gave me a bit of nostalgia at the end. It's never going to win any Oscars, but it was a decent end to what should be remembered as a trilogy.

So as Alan Sugar would say - With regret, I hope that this is the last outing for the Cyberdyne Systems Model 101.

In fact, you could say, I hope he won't be back....

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Just got back from seeing this tonight and I would give it a 5 maybe a 6.
Good film but some proper dodgy cgi in a latter part that was complete boll**ks and should of been in transformers.
Overall good story and nice to see Linda back in her role but there will be no topping JUDGEMENT DAY that movie will stand the test of time period.