Quantcast

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Livemo

Will be picking up the uhd in the future. Really enjoyed this, not sure why all the hate. And agree best one since judgement day

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas. As mostly with where I live in Germany, Purchase or Rental will be the way to watch it. And I am truly interested in seeing this. Do you think the failure to "own" the part by one of the key characters was a factor in it's lack of Box Office Success?

(Always enjoy the fact that you watch these on exactly the year/brand/size of TV we have - no, not profi calibrated, but I used a mixture of settings from Rtings & Darko, & I think we got an excellent panel thanks to the OLED Gods!)

UMAR 3:16

Distinguished Member
Awesome review cas. Can’t wait to see this!

dr no

I was looking forward to this
The box office numbers disappointed but always worth reserving judgement until we see it for ourselves

Having seen it, I would say it resembles and feels related to the first 2.
So that is a good job for a start.
The opening scene really kicks things off well
The old characters feel like they belong and helps link into the terminator universe
Action sequences are awesome

BUT I feel the the new characters are a little weak
The new 'Connor' is the weakest and we don't develop a liking/care for her wellbeing
Hints of women power wasn't needed
The rev 9 is a little over-powered although the threat to life is felt
The plot doesn't leave anything memorable
Even now I'm struggling to remember any specific plot development

So I give it a 7/10 at best but worth seeing

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas, really looking forward to watching this later, sounds like AV heaven! :)

Coulson

Will be picking up the uhd in the future. Really enjoyed this, not sure why all the hate. And agree best one since judgement day
Overall it is a relatively competent homage to T2.
If you like the film then it did look good and the Atmos audio had some great moments. Linda was good and it was nice seeing her back. Arnold was funny which I enjoyed but I can understand why some would hate this.
When I watched it I didn't notice how much they played "homage" (read: ripped off) T2 plus others so I won't pretend otherwise.

I'm just a fan of T2, but for die hard fans, the first two minutes "literally" killed the franchise. For me, they just delivered what they said they would. What I mean is that, those two minutes should have been no more than a fiercely discussed plot point amongst fans. But, with the deliberate marketing, media spin and the director's comments, I know it to be a deliberate attempt at going broke. The rest of the film just confirmed it.

Last edited:

Tim2049

Well, the vile, tiresome PC nonsense surrounding this film, plus Sarah Conner's cringeworthy uttering of "I'll be back" has ensured that...I certainly won't be.

Stepalex

A really good action movie - but an atrocious Terminator movie, on par or worse than Genysis... I cannot understand how Cameron could have played a major part in this mess.

WhyDoIBother

I don't disagree with some of the plus points in the review about this film but at the same time I think the film score is far too generous. A 5 maybe 6/10 at best, added nothing new overall to the story/franchise, I don't think being mildly better made than the previous 3 films should equate to extra goodwill points - This is watchable but ultimately just another Terminator film that didn't need making.

This film lures you into thinking it could be quite good once it kicks into gear near the beginning but once it slows down (or jams on the anchors and goes into reverse) I began to wonder if the break neck pacing was to deliberately distract from the fact that most of what had just flew past is from previous entries and quite a lot from the very films they chose to ignore...

Rev9 is just the TX from T3 but this time can split in two though, even with it's endoskeleton painted black is just as underwhelming

The truck chase was straight out of T3 with a splash of T2

There's a human/machine hybrid similar to T4 that's another tortured soul to feel sorry for

John Connor's replacement is completely unbelievable, it's like they just wanted to replace the boy with a girl because that scores points with an audience that are quite vocal on social media but don't actually go to the cinema...

Couldn't they have thought of a better name for Skynet's replacement? Felt cheap when it was discussed

And there's a fair amount of stupid which wouldn't be out of place in T5

This was a predictable failure, it was just a pointless retread/soft reboot trying to pander to a cinema audience that doesn't exist. The film makers themselves knew it was going to bomb which is why Miller started blaming it's failure on misogyny (a real seat winner, particularly with fans of this and a certain other franchise that had female leads from the beginning - decades ago) before it was even released and James Cameron, yet again, distancing himself from the project, blaming it on everyone else.

Yet another classic scifi franchise flogged to death then periodically resurrected to be flogged again, let it rest now.

Last edited:

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review, Cas. Was not expecting an 8! I know everything is subjective and everyone has a different opinion but I just can’t see how this could be anywhere near that.

I watched it recently and thought it was awful, just a CGI overload that often looked really ropey and the CGI of the new Terminator reminded me at times of Agent Smith in Matrix Reloaded. Just completely unrealistic. I don’t know why they keep trying so hard to make this super duper Terminator that just ends up being ridiculous, just keep it simple. The beauty of the original film was its simplicity and although it was about a time travelling cyborg killing machine, there was still a realism to it because of the fact it looked and acted human. That was the scary thing about it.

T2 upped the ante with liquid metal but even that seemed almost believable due to Robert Patrick playing it so well and the fact it was still fairly simple with him only creating stabbing objects.

This new film though just tries too hard to throw in too much action and too many new things in terms of Terminator-tech.

I did quite like the fact they killed off John which was a bit of a shock and could have set the tone for a good new twist on the franchise but the rest of the film just went all over the show. Plus the killing of John meant the first two films were now redundant as John now never makes it to adulthood and therefore never becomes the leader of the resistance.

The whole Terminator turned good with a family arc was just unnecessary too, as was Connor saying Arnie’s famous line and eventually calling him Carl :facepalm: Oh, and Arnie's "I won't be back", oh dear :thumbsdow

At best I would say a 6.5 out of 10 if I was feeling really generous and nostalgic but I think a 6 is fair. All personal preference / opinion of course…

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
@WhyDoIBother a few mild spoilers there for anyone who hasn't seen it, you may want to use spoiler tags.

Seriously 9/10 that means that the greatest film ever can only get 1 more point! Maybe a zero after the 1 & 0 was missing

WhyDoIBother

@WhyDoIBother a few mild spoilers there for anyone who hasn't seen it, you may want to use spoiler tags.
There's really nothing there that wasn't in the trailers and the entire truck scene was released as a promo clip before the release.

WhyDoIBother

Also I did try and use the spoiler tag to start with but it appeared to break the bullet points and formatting in the preview :suicide:

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Seriously 9/10 that means that the greatest film ever can only get 1 more point! Maybe a zero after the 1 & 0 was missing
9/10 is the 4K blu-ray score overall (movie, picture, sound, etc)

He's given the film 8/10, still well out though :laugh:

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
There's really nothing there that wasn't in the trailers and the entire truck scene was released as a promo clip before the release.
Some people don't watch trailers though and there are a few things that weren't in the trailer
Connor replacement, new Skynet, etc

Granted they're not huge but they do give away plot points that people may not want to know.

gpt

It was a terrible film - i dont know how these reviews can be so distant from the 100k people who reviewed it on imdb

SonOfSJ

Some people don't watch trailers though and there are a few things that weren't in the trailer

(spoiler deleted without reading its content which became visible when I quoted it here)

Granted they're not huge but they do give away plot points that people may not want to know.
I tend not to watch trailers, so I'd prefer not to know in advance before watching the 4K disc in about four months' time (when the price has dropped!). Good point by @djpaulc247 :)!

stack1

Standard Member
It was a terrible film - i dont know how these reviews can be so distant from the 100k people who reviewed it on imdb
lol yes its a mystery as it truly was awful, it was that bad i actually forgot i went to see this tripe

Coulson

I tend not to watch trailers, so I'd prefer not to know in advance before watching the 4K disc in about four months' time (when the price has dropped!). Good point by @djpaulc247 :)!
Fair enough which is why I try not to insert spoilers. I know this wasn't directed at me but 4 months+ after a film has been released is asking a lot :)