Terminator 3 - What a disappointment!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Well, got a chance to see T3 yesterday afternoon, and all I can say is thank goodness I didn't pay to see that, or buy the DVD. It was terrible! As an action film, it was tolerable, but as the third Terminator film, it was just abominable!

I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't already seen it, but let me just say that the ending is such a gigantic cop-out, in every sense of the word! :eek:

Arnie's acting (if you can call it that) was ropier than a very long piece of rope. Claire Danes character, Kate Brewster, is barely fleshed-out, so all she ends up doing is a lot of "Oh my god"'s and screaming! Nick Stahl was okay as John Connor, and his likeness to Edward Furlong from T2 is nice, but I was still left thinking that this isn't the John Connor that James Cameron and William Wisher (the original Terminator story creators) had intended us to see.

Kristanna Loken looks stunning, but her TX Terminator is nothing more than an inferior female version of the T-1000 from T2. And apart from one or two clever effects, the T1000 just comes across like an unstoppable cartoon character, rather than an unrelenting, nightmarish, deadly-than-dead cybernetic organism!

The first chase scene, with the huge tow-truck was fun, but totally implausable. And the rest of the movie just doesn't make you feel like the story writers cared at all about giving viewers who have grown up with the Terminator series (since 1984) anything to bother with.

The effects, overall, are tolerable, but hardly ground-breaking, and in my opinion, don't come anywhere near Terminator 2's ground-breaking effects anywehere close! This makes the film all the more disappointing.

There is one saving grace though: Arnie's appearance at the beginning of the film, and his aquisition of clothing! Superb, and very, very funny! :clap:

Also, the film should NEVER have been given a 12A rating for cinema! The violence, and language, is not at all suitable in my opinion, for under 15's! This new 12A certificate is pointless, and is treated by most customers in the same way that a U or PG is! Would those of you who were parents be happy to show your children scenes of Arnie cutting open his own chest with a knife, and seeing another man having an arm put through somebodies stomach, in fairly lengthy detail? And the f-word turns up three times as well! There's leniency for certification, and total stupidity! This is definitely the latter!

Ultimately, not a film worth buying the DVD for, unless you absolutely have to have every Terminator film in your collection! Wait till you can rent it instead, but pray that no one in Hollywood dares make T4! :thumbsdow

Pooch

Tend to agree with you: although I felt it perked up towards the end, Could see a twisty ending coming a mile away.

Really not interested in a T4 they should have left it alone after 2 to be honest.

Arnie just looks daft,

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll be buying the DVD to see if I agree with you or not.:D

Sorry to say, but I liked the movie
Likewise.

The first chase scene, with the huge tow-truck was fun, but totally implausable
I would say cyborgs from the future is failry implausable but it doesn't make it a bad movie :D

Anouther Thumbs up here, loved the movie, disagree with just about every point the first poster made,

Great action flick and although not as good as the first 2 movies was a worty sequel i can think of so many worse sequels.

Also i have the DVD on Pre order and i say BRING ON T4!!!!!

I took it positive but J.Mostow should be banned forever!

The man who did T3 without real suspense (he learned nothing from Cameron) , who casted Loken (she might do mortal combat and maybe playboy but please not more) , who makes biggest action scene without good introduction just few minutes into the movie and who is missing at least 20 minutes of the film (how the hell can top armed T-101, Connor and Brewsrer enter that military complex of her farher without fight) should be banned forever.

Also:
Kyle said to Sarah in the first movie that machines have ben beaten and their last move was to sent the Terminator back to erase her from the future line.
T2 misses this one in the plot but T3 destroys this claim
Mr. Mostow should have studdied prior movies more accurate before making the sequels :(

At least it will be good test DVD for us HC fans . .. crash boom bang . .. .

So, ban Mostow, don't do T4 and do good DVD mastering on this one . . . please

In the defence of the plot.....

Given that time travel is pretty much a mind mess as soon as they send someone back then it creates a new timeline as it will change the future. Then there might be a case for multiple futures, in which case there may be a future when Skynet sends back another Terminator. Which ever way you think about it, it doesn't matter as no one has ever time traveled so they don't really need to explain it.

What Kyle says for his future is true, however may not be true for the future he creates....see :)

you might have enjoyed it more pooch jd if they didnt have cut 18mins out of it for the cinema

and there are some excellent scenes which no one got to see

:nono:

The thing that I didn't understand about the plot is when John Connor et Claire Danes' character were driving away from the Vet's...

And the police cars started chasing them. Now I understand that the TX can control them, but how on earth could she see what she was chasing, and how did she navigate the cars???

And why was she plastered with make-up immediately after she arrived from Time Travel?

Now I understand that the TX can control them
Now this I couldn't understand - how could she control them? How can she remotely operate the clutch? Without that the car(s) aren't going very far! Still a good film though.

And why was she plastered with make-up immediately after she arrived from Time Travel?
Would you have preferred it if she wasn't? ;)

hmm, you guys are questioning things like controlling cars remotely when the film is based on Robots coming back from the future?? how many films nowadays are 100% true to life, i watch alot of films and 90% i say to myself that couldn't be done in real life, but i dont watch for that i watch to be entertained.

i quite liked it, daft but enjoyable

I didn't like the remote control bits

I agree it should not have been a 12A when I went to see it there were certainly children under the age of 10 in the cinema.

Ratings are a joke now when I saw American Pie 3 the other day there were quite a few 12-13 year olds in the cinema

I have not been to see it what put me off was that scene with the mobile crane, it looked so ridiculous and they spent millions on just that one scene.
I will wait to see it on DVD or even on TV. Then decide whether to buy it.

the crane chase was a Much better chase scene that Matrix Reloaded IMO, it was excellant.

i liked it as a action movie, but it should not be given a 4th outing. the prologue was very cameron in execution, and was very well presented.the middle parts were ok, but it just went to fast and the ending has surely left the franchise well open. terminator 2 was just a completly different movie and was and still is the best terminator movie.

the ending has surely left the franchise well open
Everyone seems to think this - and I suppose it does. But a Terminator 4 will be a very different beast to the previous three films as it will be set AFTER the nuclear strikes. Terminator films have always about watching the future in a present day, normal setting. That won't be so with Terminator 4. Would such a film work? :confused:

I thought the crane chase was pretty cool. Unfortuntely (as seems to be happening more and more), lots of the action is shown close up.

It would have been much better to have had long shots of some of the action so you could get a true feel for the amount of carnage going on.

I think T4 could work. We could finally get some decent length scenes of the future war. Terminators wandering the streets, HKs flying overhead. Hit and run tactics of the remaining humans.

Take any old Vietnam movie, replace the US forces with the terminators, and the Viet-Cong with the humans and you're sorted :D

Effectively though Terminator 4 if it was set in the future war period would end up being a fantasy war movie. The only similar film I can think of would be starship troopers and the only reason that works is that its tongue in cheek and self knowing.

A gritty terminator 4 future war just wouldn't work as a movie: the audience would be hard pushed to feel any involvement with the plot and characters unless it was treated as a full on fantasy which would clash completely with the here and now setting of the former 3 films. The first two films have all sorts of themes going on relating to society and technology. Think of all those great iconic images from the first two that stay with you.

The third one was a much more straight forward actioner. (the image of arnie carrying the coffin and gun around the cemetry and the coffin full of guns was straight out of spaghetti western : Django in particular. This is about the only resonant image and its telling its the one that pops up most frequently for publicity)

Terminator 4... maybe a one season TV series set in abandonded warehouses with the odd murky cg action sequence but I doubt it would take off.

in the original terminator when reese is in the police stationa cop asks him why he didnt bring a ray gun from the future to which he replies "you cant send dead things through" so how can they send terminators through. Always botherd me that not picking fault or anything as i have terminator 2 ultimate ed and the original box set (with t2) and i love them and i loved the 3rd terminator ending was a little lazy but if theres going to be a 4th film WHOS GONNA PLAY THE TERMINATOR

Effectively though Terminator 4 if it was set in the future war period would end up being a fantasy war movie. The only similar film I can think of would be starship troopers and the only reason that works is that its tongue in cheek and self knowing
Perhaps they could do something in the same vain as The Postman or Waterworld or Mad Max? Or perhaps not... :D

Originally posted by luv ya jen
in the original terminator when reese is in the police stationa cop asks him why he didnt bring a ray gun from the future to which he replies "you cant send dead things through" so how can they send terminators through. Always botherd me that not picking fault or anything as i have terminator 2 ultimate ed and the original box set (with t2) and i love them and i loved the 3rd terminator ending was a little lazy but if theres going to be a 4th film WHOS GONNA PLAY THE TERMINATOR

Terminators are in fact surrounded in LIVING tissue which is why they can be sent, Guns are not :)

Terminators are in fact surrounded in LIVING tissue which is why they can be sent, Guns are not
Which makes you wonder why they didn't cut open a cow or something, fill it up with loads of weapons, sew it back together and chuck it in the time machine as well. I'm sure it would have lived long enough to be killed by the Terminator who wanted his weapons... :D

another thing often mentioned is the shortness of the movie, but be honest it was none stop action all the way....and millions of people [me included ], expected the movie to suck ...., and it didnt.all we are doing now is exploring all the plot holes etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom