Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 23rd May 2009
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, is a watchable, solid third installment in a highly enjoyable sci-fi action franchise. Arguably, there are many reasons why it should never have been made, but it is worth putting up with any of the more disappointing aspects of the production just to see Arnie back in action for one last time. In terms of its presentation on Blu-ray, this movie offers a decent benchmark for the media, with noticeably superior video and audio and some nice extras to boot. If you haven’t picked up this movie and you like the previous two, like sci-fi actioners in general or just like Schwarzenegger, this is the definitive release to own.
Read the full review...

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
In terms of audio, we also get a superior True HD track to top the previously encountered standard Dolby Digital 5.1 Plus track back in 2007.

Just curious, in what way is it superior to the DD+ soundtrack? Did you compare the two side by side?

Cheers
Matt

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I've thankfully had the benefit of being able to look at the three main versions of the movie - the original SD-DVD release, the HD-DVD release which showed a marked improvement but never boasted a DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD track, and this latest BD release which finally has TrueHD. Whilst the content of the movie certainly gets the most out of whatever tracks have been utilised I felt that the former two were holding back in some ways on fully immersing you in the action. In cross-comparing the three you can barely notice any difference during the quieter, expositional moments, but since the movie's packed with action it isn't long before the TrueHD track takes the lead. It's a richer, more enveloping mix which, whilst perhaps no more or less good at picking up the nuances, has the edge when it comes to providing bombast. I don't think there's anything wrong with the previous tracks, the format just lends itself to higher quality and I think this kind of movie is where you can see a more obvious difference, even if it's the kind of difference that many people will find difficult to notice.

Thanks, Cas

Apone

Been holding out for this to come out with a HD soundtrack. Have no reason to wait now:clap:

I loved the film, even more than T2:devil:

Apone

MJeeves

I've thankfully had the benefit of being able to look at the three main versions of the movie - the original SD-DVD release, the HD-DVD release which showed a marked improvement but never boasted a DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD track, and this latest BD release which finally has TrueHD. Whilst the content of the movie certainly gets the most out of whatever tracks have been utilised I felt that the former two were holding back in some ways on fully immersing you in the action. In cross-comparing the three you can barely notice any difference during the quieter, expositional moments, but since the movie's packed with action it isn't long before the TrueHD track takes the lead. It's a richer, more enveloping mix which, whilst perhaps no more or less good at picking up the nuances, has the edge when it comes to providing bombast. I don't think there's anything wrong with the previous tracks, the format just lends itself to higher quality and I think this kind of movie is where you can see a more obvious difference, even if it's the kind of difference that many people will find difficult to notice.

Thanks, Cas

Thanks Cas!
Is the picture quality identical to the HD-DVD version? :confused:

Thanks bud:smashin:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
As far as I can tell (and I have both versions) yes. The original Blu-ray release in the US sported a disc manufacturing error that resulted in the picture only displaying in 1080i resolution, whereas the HD-DVD was always 1080p. This UK BD (and I suspect most of the later-released US discs, after they corrected the error) displays in full 1080p and looks superb.

Mister Q!

Standard Member
As far as I can tell (and I have both versions) yes. The original Blu-ray release in the US sported a disc manufacturing error that resulted in the picture only displaying in 1080i resolution, whereas the HD-DVD was always 1080p. This UK BD (and I suspect most of the later-released US discs, after they corrected the error) displays in full 1080p and looks superb.

My first post here on AVFORUM :clap:
How can we be sure that this is the 1080P version?
does it say it's corrected on the cover or?

My first post here on AVFORUM :clap:
How can we be sure that this is the 1080P version?
does it say it's corrected on the cover or?

It does say it on the cover yes - though it's a Sony/Columbia release and all their covers have it on so that's no guarantee...however, I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 amp which has a facility on the menus to tell you what signal is coming in (both audio and video).
I'll fire it up later and let you know - but I'm sure if Cas says it's 1080P, then that would be good enough for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom