1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terminator 3 ...NO DTS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many people WILL NOT buy this disc simply because it dosen't have a dts track...?
    details here...

Personally...I don't give a monkeys. Seems more scope for a better picture quality without an overloud dts track eating away at the bit rate...:smashin:

2. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    It'll be on the super duper release of it, sometime soon, I'm sure!

3. Fusionator

Fusionator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the info on the American release which is released by Warner and they don't do dts unless it's released by Morgan Creek Productions (like Robin Hood and American Outlaws).

The region 02 release on the other hand is from Columbia Tristar and there is a chance that this will have dts and if it doesn't it will eventualy with a Superbit release.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it's a Warner release. Warner hate dts as much as I do...:devil:
    There's a piece floating about somewhere that was released when they release a few DVD's a while back (Interview with a Vampire, Twister and all 4 Lethal Weapon movies). I Think it concluded with something along the lines of their encoding engineers thought it was a waste of time and money - and it started a very public slanging match between between Dolby and DTS...
    May be released by somebody else on R2 with a dts track - but as long as Warner have the rights to the R1 release, I think you've got more hope of Bill Gates dressing up as Santa and dropping free X Box's down evertone's chimneys this year....:zonked:

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might have to insert the word "cut" somewhere in there...

6. NoelStar

NoelStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO DTS! :eek: but it will have EX Surround for those that are interested

7. Fusionator

Fusionator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warner's decission not to do dts is their loss.
    They don't even do full bitrate dolby and they claim it is still beter.
    Their engineers realy are a bunch of dumbasses and they should try and look at other studio's who release very nice dvd's with dolby and dts on one disc.
    Many of their releases like The Matrix 1 for example would benefit of a new dts track, hell even a new dolby track would be better because the original track sucks and the laserdisc was WAY beter.

My personal choice is dts and I will keep supporting it.

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One things for sure - it's probably already been marked down a point or 2 in the DVD reviews...:rotfl:

9. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amadeus Directors Cut is full rate Dolby.

10. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I though the sound on Matrix 1 was damn good!

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too!!

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some Warner Village Roadshow titles ARE released with DTS tracks in Australia and on another thread i notice a link for Matrix Reloaded which says the Swedish version will have DTS.

Incidentally is there any logical reason to hate a sound format with so much passion as you do army bloke ?
    did a DTS decoder fall outta a window onto ur shoulder and now you despise the format for causing such a massive chip there ?

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's one main reason I don't like dts mate - I have 3 kids who go to bed a 10pm latest. DTS dosen't even enable a simple click of a button to engage dynamic range compression so that my kids can sleep peacefully at night.
    For me, I leave "night mode" on on my amp all the time and don't even have to think about engaging it anymore...I just choose to ignore dts.
    There is another reason that involved me getting rid of the best amp I ever owned because I had how good dts was rammed down my throat by HT magazines and fanboys - only to discover on hooking it up, it sounded exactly the same...I'm talking about DVD here.
    I will hold my hand up and say that the best thing I have ever heard in my house is Casper in dts...:blush: But that was on laserdisc. I'm sure when the DVD comes out next month, the dts track will be compressed to the point where the Dolby Digital version (which, incidently, was never available on laserdisc, on Dolby Surround) sounds so much better.
    Have you ever heard dts on laserdisc? Makes ALL DVD's sound like old 78 gramaphone records. But they cost a fortune now...some people pay 60 or 70 quid for one title...:nono: :eek:

14. NoelStar

NoelStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    army bloke is entitiled to his opinion if he Hates DTS then good for him

its like me i want to be able to buy a film without years later finding out the film was cut and then a uncut ripoff edition being released

i wouldnt mind waiting ages for a DVD to be released if they get it right being uncut if there is different cuts! all special features included and DD5.1 or DTS atleast audio features

especially when your paying £15-20

:smashin:

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :nono: Read the thread properly mate...do you think I actually LIKE dts??:confused:

Thanks for backing me up BTW...;) :smashin:

16. NoelStar

NoelStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: i only scanned quick i thought you were mad for DTS what format do you like then

i just wanted to get my points across about buying films and then years later uncut editions which really pisses me off

and which some people dont understand they are just happy to buy loads of editions ;)

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some 1536 kbps full bitrate titles such as Cutthroat Island and DragonHeart and i think they are better than the Dolby alternative, having said that i hope the next high definition players which appear within the next 5 years provide scope for higher uncompressed audio as i think it can and should be better.

Mind u the Haunting has a half bit rate DTS track as does Saving Private Ryan and both blew me away.

My Amps a Sony and does provide a compression feature for DTS as well as Dolby, why hate a sound format embrace both formats competition can only be good for us the consumer as Dolby and DTS try to outdo one another.

18. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I could care less about DTS, I always listen the the DD 5.1 track.

It is odd how some poeple think it is miles better, personally all the DTS tracks I have heard have been exactly the same as DD 5.1 or in a few cases some of my disks they are actually worse in DTS.

19. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    In many cases I can't spot the difference, and its subjective anyway as dts soundtracks (or DD for that matter) can be mixed louder....which people mistake for "more dynamic and punchy."

That said, I personally think the dts SPR on R1 DVD blows the DD version out of the water...with ease. Also the dts mix of LOTR (R1) is much better than dd...the dd mix is too fatigueing with it's overblown LFE.

20. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    cant think of any other dts titles that I can honestly say are clear winners over their dd counterparts however...

21. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :clap: dts rocks...........

Sorry that was a little childish I know :blush:
    I dont ever buy a movie purley 'cos it has dts but admittedly I still take a look on the cover to find those little letters. Of all the movies I've seen with a dts soundtrack they have sounded fuller, I mean the sound stage "feels" a lot bigger, enveloping, dont get me wrong DD is still amazin' but I still feel dts is better. Oh and if you find it all a bit much and kids are in bed........just turn your sub down:p

22. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    by Army bloke :rotfl:

23. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He He Night mode.........:smashin:

24. Paul Howard

Paul Howard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand Army Bloke.

The reason is.

I remember laserdisc DTS sound, I owned Titanic and Armageddon, both in DTS and the Audio was teeth rattlingly powerful, open and dynamic. DVD is amazing, DTS on DVD is amazing but DTS on Laserdisc pisses all over anything else (if it was still around.) I wish some of you experianced those COOL but overpriced discs. They were the origional home cinema format.

25. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    That's what it's called on the Marantz amps! :lesson:

26. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Only messin, chill :rolleyes:

I understand what Army Bloke means too. I also have Laserdisc aswell as dvd and have noticed a remarkable difference in sound quality from LD over some dvd titles I have. For instance the dvd release of Apollo 13's launch sequence sounds mint while on the other hand the LD version is breathtaking. Oh and I know that my Marantz receiver has "Night Mode" , Well spotted :smoke:

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Night Mode...whats so funny...:confused: Ok, to it it it's real name "dynamic range compression...":lesson: The only problem with the Marantz flavour is it's either on or off, low low middle and high modes...

Still don't like dts though.:p

28. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind if a films has either Dolby Digital or DTS, I just wish they wouldn't put both formats on the same disc... eats up the available space for picture quality.

29. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Even if Warner do hate DTS it dos'nt stop them getting there newest films mixed in DTS, ie, The Matrix, Matrix Reloaed, Romeo Must Die, Deep Blue Sea.

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you mean theartrically...I think I read here that dts is more common in cinemas these days than Dolby Digital because it was cheaper to instal...