Terminator 2: Judgment Day Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Gerard Magnier, 6th February 2009
This BD release of “Terminator 2: Judgement Day” offers a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade on both the audio and video fronts. The movie itself is still an enjoyable, if slightly dated masterpiece but that is to be expected.

This release really falls down in the extras department and with the increased space available on BD there really is no excuse for the complete omission of extras. Perhaps it is a licensing issue or perhaps it is laziness but whatever the reason it’s a big letdown.

My recommendation would be to get this Blu-ray release if you already own the Extreme Edition or Ultimate Edition versions as combined you will have the definitive “T2” edition. If you do not own a previous release that contains all the extras consider waiting for a more desirable BD package to come out. Keep an eye on the soundtracks though as a previous BD release of “T2” did not contain a HD audio track.

Overall Score marked due to the lack of extras, softness of image in places and low score mix

“Your foster parents are dead”

Read the full review...

This BD release of “Terminator 2: Judgement Day” offers a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade on both the audio and video fronts.]

Very tempting.
:smashin:

Yes indeed - if you're looking for an audio and video upgrade of this movie then go for it :thumbsup:

I have the R1 2 disc set with 3 versions of the film on (theatrical, extended, and special). Just to be clear, which does the BR disc contain?

I have the R1 2 disc set with 3 versions of the film on (theatrical, extended, and special). Just to be clear, which does the BR disc contain?

The region B bluray contains the Directors cut.:thumbsup:

Excellent sound and pic too.

Brad Freil’s classic industrial score really serves to lift the action throughout the movie

Score was actually composed by Brad Fiedel.

Good review - have the German HD-DVD special edition so will be keeping that.

Probably one of my favourite films of all time along with Aliens. The title score is still one that sticks in my mind the most and I can listen to on its own, it really shine on a good home system too :D, I just find it really well thought out. It gives a sense of industrailism and portrays the mechanical nature of the machines while at the same time evokes emotion that you would relate to a film with a real depth of story. Im a big sci-fi fan anyway so that helps its status for me. For me this and Aliens are probably the only two examples of how to properly do a sequel regardless of genre which must be a tribute to JC.

When I finally invest in a BR player this will probably be my first purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reviewer states this is the best T2 has ever sounded.

I think the 7.1 sound on my German Steelbook would be the best T2 has ever sounded. :thumbsup:

With regards to the grain, T2 was shot on Super 35 and contains a large number of very grainy shots. Whatever format you are looking at there's going to be elements of grain in the picture, and as the movie was not that sharp to begin with - one can't expect miracles from Blu-ray.

You could be correct in that the German HD-DVD has better picture quality and sound quality, but as this is a restricted German only release on a now dead format, this Blu-ray release will be the only option available to the majority of viewers.

Have you compared these two releases side by side or are you just assuming that the HD-DVD is superior in both audio and picture qualilty? If you have then I might look to source this HD-DVD myself. I will agree that this release seems a slightly rushed effort, and as a T2 fan, I'm hoping that a delux special edition BD will be released in the near future.

Are you two guys both from Germany (there could be a Straffordshire in Germany!) by any chance :smashin:

Last edited:
Ref: T2 Skynet Edition:

Has anybody had a problem trying to decode DTS MA 6.1 from the new disc?

I can only get 5.1 (listed on display as 3/2.1) for the English version, yet packaging and menus state 6.1. However, the German language version is true 7.1 (3/4.1). Is it (English version) meant to be a matrixed 6.1 (flagged) version or has there been a mastering error? And why do the Germans benefit from 7.1 when we don't?

I will be taking a look at and reviewing the UK Skynet edition early next week and will report back

The US disc is definatley DTS HD MA 6.1

Ref: T2 Skynet Edition:

Has anybody had a problem trying to decode DTS MA 6.1 from the new disc?

I can only get 5.1 (listed on display as 3/2.1) for the English version, yet packaging and menus state 6.1. However, the German language version is true 7.1 (3/4.1). Is it (English version) meant to be a matrixed 6.1 (flagged) version or has there been a mastering error? And why do the Germans benefit from 7.1 when we don't?

Are you trying to play this via PC or standalone player? I read that a couple of people were having issues with PC based setups and this disc (especially with TMT)

Are you trying to play this via PC or standalone player? I read that a couple of people were having issues with PC based setups and this disc (especially with TMT)

I have played the disc on both a Sony BDP S550 AND PS3. The output is definitely displayed as (1) DTS-MA 5.1 for English, (2) DTS-HR 5.1 for French and (3) DTS-MA 7.1 for German (which sounds more encompassing) + relevant 2 channel commentary tracks. :mad: Hope this helps?

Hmmm not too sure what's going on here I'm afraid - I use TMT. The US release defintely had 6.1MA and I presume that the UK one will as well. Simon will be reviewing this soon and as far as I am aware uses a PS3 so see if he has any issues. If not then it's something to do with your amp or a dodgy disc??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom