Terminator 2 (Blu Ray) which 1 to get??

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There is yet again another re-release of this classic Terminator film, on Blu Ray, I have the VHS from years ago and the DVD of it when DVDs 1st came out, the same with all the other Terminator films, so now its the turn of Blu Ray, I am not sure which version to go for (basicly I want the version that has everything on it) just wondering if someone can help me out here, here are the versions availble; also keep in mind I am in the UK so it has to be the Region B version of the Blu Ray;

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Blu Ray) (the 1st Blu Ray release)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day Skynet Edition (Blu Ray)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day Skynet Edition (endoskeleton edition) (Blu Ray)

just wanting someone to confirm which 1 of the 3 (or please state others if theres more) that has the most extras/deleted scenes/all the versions of the movie, i.e. theatrical, extended edition etc..

Thanks,

Depends what you want, There are no extras on the original UK release (Directors cut) but it is generally felt that the PQ on this one is marginally better than the Skynet edition. I opted to keep the original, It's all about the PQ for me :)

It is getting harder to find now too, Asda online have it for £11.73 which appears to be the cheapest.

The Original UK release.

Interesting, I have seen the original release and screen caps from the new one and you can see some DNR and EE but it looks ok. Bear in mind the new one has a shedload of features, lossless audio and all 3 cuts of the film. T2 is on it's way to me from play.com now. If I'm disappointed with the quality, I might pick up the original one for under a tenner online but I'm sure I'll be fine with it. I can suffer a slight drop in PQ for a big boost in AQ.

There's some comparison shots here - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews45/t2_skynet_blu-ray.htm

Interesting, I have seen the original release and screen caps from the new one and you can see some DNR and EE but it looks ok. Bear in mind the new one has a shedload of features, lossless audio and all 3 cuts of the film. T2 is on it's way to me from play.com now. If I'm disappointed with the quality, I might pick up the original one for under a tenner online but I'm sure I'll be fine with it. I can suffer a slight drop in PQ for a big boost in AQ.

There's some comparison shots here - T2 - Skynet Edition Blu-ray - Arnold Linda Hamilton

The old release also has DTS-HD MA lossless sound. It is one of the best sounding discs I have. I am happy with the picture qualtiy. Sure a remaster/restore would be even better, but it is still the best I have seen the film look.

I am only ever going to be watching the extended version.

That link doesn't compare the old UK release (which uses the same transfer as the HD DVD).

I need to decide now too which version to go for. Although people say to go with the older UK Release, i hear that the picture isn't all that?

I need to decide now too which version to go for. Although people say to go with the older UK Release, i hear that the picture isn't all that?

Picture is fine just don't expect it to be as good as a new film plus it is still better than the Skynet version. It has been as low as £7.99 too.

Here is a quick pic I did ages ago to show the difference between the R1 UE and the UK BD.

DVD
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8475/2slx3.jpg

BD
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9581/2heo2.jpg

Last edited:
i am still undecided, I might just get the skynet version with all the extras and pick up the 1st UK release version from somewhere like cash generator, cash converters for a few quid or even ebay

Picture is fine just don't expect it to be as good as a new film plus it is still better than the Skynet version. It has been as low as £7.99 too.

So you would stick to the bare bones UK release?

I've got the original UK release on Blu and have been thinking about getting the Skynet version, but would it be worth it, buying that and selling the standard one? What I can't understand is why the PQ is better on the bog standard release, how the hell did that happen.

I'm not one for watching extras but I do like a nice Steelbook :suicide:

I've got the original UK release on Blu and have been thinking about getting the Skynet version, but would it be worth it, buying that and selling the standard one? What I can't understand is why the PQ is better on the bog standard release, how the hell did that happen.

It's a very nice steelbook too.

:smashin:

Yes, the bare bones is better. I don't need the extras as I have the R1 UE DVD which has enough extras as it is. It was my first Blu Ray.

They put 3 versions of the film via seemless branching and have used extensive DNR to "clean up the image" ie. take out most of the grain. At first it looked good but it looks like it has also been artificially sharpened too (imo). I noticed some things like the background and objects (Arnies bike) were sharper in the Skynet but then the lack of detail in the actors was noticeable. The old one has quite a but of grain. It doesn't look terrible but I prefer the old one.

Here is quick comparison where a person can switch between them.

T2 Image Comparison

Move the line to the left to get the HD DVD/Blu Ray and to the right to get the Skynet (US Version). Looks at his bike for why I think it is sharper but then also look at his face and the back of the car.

They used the same VC-1 codec and from what I have read, had to also lower the bitrate over the old release to make everything fit along with the additional four audio tracks after the English DTS-HD MA (French DTS-HD MA and two headphone audio tracks) .

The old release still has DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio. No other audio tracks.

If anyone can check, I would like to know what size the Skynet one is. The old release is 27GB.

Last edited:
Yes, the bare bones is better. I don't need the extras as I have the R1 UE DVD which has enough extras as it is. It was my first Blu Ray.

They put 3 versions of the film via seemless branching and have used extensive DNR to "clean up the image" ie. take out most of the grain. At first it looked good but it looks like it has also been artificially sharpened too (imo). I noticed some things like the background and objects (Arnies bike) were sharper in the Skynet but then the lack of detail in the actors was noticeable. The old one has quite a but of grain. It doesn't look terrible but I prefer the old one.

Here is quick comparison where a person can switch between them.

T2 Image Comparison

Move the line to the left to get the HD DVD/Blu Ray and to the right to get the Skynet (US Version). Looks at his bike for why I think it is sharper but then also look at his face and the back of the car.

They used the same VC-1 codec and from what I have read, had to also lower the bitrate over the old release to make everything fit along with the additional four audio tracks after the English DTS-HD MA (French DTS-HD MA and two headphone audio tracks) .

The old release still has DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio. No other audio tracks.

If anyone can check, I would like to know what size the Skynet one is. The old release is 27GB.

I can see what you mean about the difference in the face, esp on his forehead, but its pretty subtle. Whereas the difference in sharpness on pretty much everything else (including his nose for example) is quite noticable. From looking at that pic I'd go with the Skynet version (assuming that's the one with the white line over to the right).

Hmm, you know you're taking taking things too seriously when you're debating the amount of grain on Arnie's nose :)

There's only one place the Skynet edition belongs and it's not on anyone's shelf...

There's only one place the Skynet edition belongs and it's not on anyone's shelf...

I was just going off the picture comparison posted, is that not representative of the general PQ?

From looking at that pic I'd go with the Skynet version (assuming that's the one with the white line over to the right).

That is the Skynet one. I can see where rebel scum is coming from but I wasn't as disappointed as him. The UK HD DVD of T2 got 9/10 for pic quality from many reviews and the old release is using the same transfer as it is a port (but with upgraded DTS-HD sound)

T2 BD review (old version)

I would give the Skynet one 6/10 for picture quality. There was a rumour that the Skynet would get a new AVC encode but it was just a rumour.

The PQ is smoothed over and generally lacking in detail. There's nothing sharp about it at all, an incredibly sterile looking image. The previous UK disc is the one to get.

The PQ is smoothed over and generally lacking in detail. There's nothing sharp about it at all, an incredibly sterile looking image. The previous UK disc is the one to get.

I'm confused because in the sliding line picture comparison that was posted the skynet version clearly has a lot sharper visible detail than the other one. Looking at the detail on the motorbike it is much clearer and sharper on the skynet version, unless I'm looking at things completely backwards?

I'm confused because in the sliding line picture comparison that was posted the skynet version clearly has a lot sharper visible detail than the other one. Looking at the detail on the motorbike it is much clearer and sharper on the skynet version, unless I'm looking at things completely backwards?

Yeah, it looks better to me too. But then I'm not a picture "expert" constantly on the look out for defects.

Well with the white line all the way over to the right of my screen the picture is defo loads better than over to the left :confused:
Are you sure you got this the right way around and its not to the right for the old blu cause if thats the case the skynet is loads better :rotfl:

Comparison link doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone else having this problem?:confused:

Comparison link doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone else having this problem?:confused:

You need to install the Silverlight add on to see the picture.

In the comparison the Skynet edition is sharper (line to the right).
I watched most of the new edition last night and thought it was very good.
I prefer the 7.1 sound on my HD DVD though. ;)

Well with the white line all the way over to the right of my screen the picture is defo loads better than over to the left :confused:
Are you sure you got this the right way around and its not to the right for the old blu cause if thats the case the skynet is loads better :rotfl:
Compared the to old AMERICAN disc, the Skynet does look better, as that was an early MPEG-2 job, which looked rough as hell. They both look crap compared to the Optimum's previous BD release, which was in turn a port of its HD DVD encoding.

I can understand someone having owned the first US disc and then putting the Skynet one in and thinking 'Oh, this looks miles better'. 'Oh' indeed, like a slap in the face is better than a kick in the groin... :rotfl:

I am debating weather to go out and buy this skynet edition in the UK , I already own the original blu ray release :confused:
I wish someone would put this to bed once and for all , is the original UK release or the new UK skynet the best edtion to own :confused:

I am debating weather to go out and buy this skynet edition in the UK , I already own the original blu ray release :confused:
I wish someone would put this to bed once and for all , is the original UK release or the new UK skynet the best edtion to own :confused:

Keep the old one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom