1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Termination

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kensden, Oct 22, 2001.

1. kensden

kensden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been advised to purchase an interlink between my av amp and projector consisting of five phonos on each end? Does this mean that I can buy adapters sif necessary to change the phonos to s-video, bnc or a d-sub?

Kenny

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny,

You don't say who advised this or what the situation is, but I guess you are going to have to install th cable to hide it between the projector and source - consequently you'll not want to have to replace it if you expand or improve your system.

If that's the case then installing a 5 wire cable will future-proof the installation - it will allow all connection formats, Composite, S-Video, Component, RGB and RGBHV(PC) using adapters as necessary at each end.

However I would disagree with your current advice in that I would use BNC connectors on both ends of the cable, rather than Phonos.

It really doesn't make a huge difference for Composite, or S-Video (or even component) but if you start running PC or scaled video down the cable, the phonos will become a 'bottle-neck' for the signal - Phono connectors are only very rarely true 75 Ohm connectors, and even when they are, are only specified to less than 100MHz, so they can cause reflections on the cable and high frequency attenuation - which are not good things!

If this is a permanent installation, fit some good quality solid core 75 Ohm Co-ax (like RG59 or BBC PSF1/2)and terminate with bulkhead mount BNC connectors on a wall plate at each end - then use short, flexible interconnects at each end to connect into the equipment.

Hope this helps,

Richard Ansell
    Snell & Wilcox

3. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Klotz cable should be OK anyway!

For the adapters, the Phono to BNC are the easiest, you should be able top get them from Maplin or most Home Cinema stores.

The S-Video to two Phono and VGA to five Phono - that's more of a problem! either to BNC is relatively straight forward - S-Video to BNC from someone like Composite Video (www.compositevideo.co.uk) and VGA to BNC from virtually any PC shop in the country.

Neither cable is readily available with Phono plugs or sockets though - I'd suggest someone like Lectropacks - I've never used them, so can't comment on what they are like but I believe they do advertise custom cable services - I'm sure there are others, have alook through HCC.

Hope this helps

Richard Ansell
    Snell & Wilcox

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Kenny just a bit of market reseach but do you mind saying how much the cable was and how long?

It is a service that I have been considering.

I hold with Richard and still dispair at the use of RCA phono connectors for video. Especially if it then has to go any distance 5m+.

Believe it or not Maplin have stopped selling the BNC to phono adaptors! :(

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    amazing, a phono connector effects picture? jeez... so what do i do with a sony wh10? ive yet to buy a cable (was gonna get a silver serpent from bettercables) do i need to spend this much? i have ghosting on the svideo cable.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread

Mike

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've come across a good deal of cable in my time and been forced to do some unconvententional connections even had to twist some together.

I would say the single most important factor is to get the connector right. There are some wonderful cables out there in some very glossy packs. Some even have arrows on them to show which way the electrons go. (still trying to work out how this applies with an AC signal)

I have worked with (not for) the BBC,IBM and Snell and Wilcox & BAFTA. Not one of them has specified any thing better than high quality copper.

The frequencies and voltages involved in audio are far more likely to be effected by good cables.

How long is your S-video cable? 5m could start to show probelms. That's why the profesionals don't use it. At least a SCART plug gives a half reasonable connection area.

My understanding for the reason manfactures are starting to use gold connectors is not because it gives a better connection but because it doesn't oxidise like copper. Giving a copper conetection a good old twist which then gives metal to metal contact seems just as good.

7. kensden

kensden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Thanks for your help all your assumptions are correct, excuse my lack of clarity.

Too late I have already buried thKlotz AV cable and it is already terminated high quality phonos (£5 ea), which could be changed if I ever maser a soldering iron.

Where would I purchase saida adaptors eg Phone > S-Video, Phone > BNC, Phono > D-Sub?

Thanks

Kenny

8. kensden

kensden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Thanks for your help.

Kenny

9. kensden