• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

terminating lan cables into a modular faceplate system

noviceinstaller

Standard Member
I was just wondering if it is feasable to terminate one end of a lan cable to a modular faceplate, and keep the other end as a connector into my router? Not sure but have heard there is an A and B setting when using modular faceplates, if so which wire fitting should i be using, A or B???:confused:

Kristian

It depends on the cable. If your cable is solid core then you can terminate one end on a module and another on a plug. If your cable is stranded then a plug fits well but it won't terminate into an IDC well. Make sure you get the right type of plug for the cable, stranded or solid.

There are two standards for Cat5 termination, TIA 568A and TIA 568B. As long as you stick the same standard at each end of the cable it'll work fine. The method that seems most popular, which is in use at all the places I've seen is 568B.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
All UTP has twisted pairs ('swot the "TP" means.)

Are you referring to th difference between "solid" and "stranded" (AKA "patch") cable....?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom