Question Terminating Cat 5e cable ..help

pete1866

Established Member
Reaction score
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
They are solid and not stranded in which case you are best to terminate using a face plate or patch panel. Stranded will crimp better on RJ45s

It is solid , ok thanks
I have cable all round attic going out through holes to the cameras so a face plate wouldn't be ideal

You could use a face plate and then connect with a patch cable. I need to do the same and that is how I plan on hooking up the cameras.

You could use a face plate and then connect with a patch cable. I need to do the same and that is how I plan on hooking up the cameras.
Problem with that is the cables are all through a small hole in the wall and fastened to the wall
A patched cable means a bigger hole as well
Looks like I need the right connectors for solid wire
Hopefully someone will recommend some

There aren't any as far as I am aware. Crimps are for stranded only. Faceplate inside then stranded through the hole.

Yeah solid can be crimped into rj 45 plugs... you just need a good quality crimp tool and plugs..

Any decent electrical supply shops should be able to help. No specific brand really.

My ends are from B&Q and were expensive but did the job..

Never crimped stranded....Surely they'd be more difficult to crimp? Solid is easy once you follow the basic rules of cutting and preparing the ends ....Only ever had a few issues, usually because I've not pushed them on enough and the pin has failed to catch the relevant cable.

For CCTV I would also recommend solid core, rather than stranded .

Cheers

Never crimped stranded....Surely they'd be more difficult to crimp? Solid is easy once you follow the basic rules of cutting and preparing the ends ....Only ever had a few issues, usually because I've not pushed them on enough and the pin has failed to catch the relevant cable.

For CCTV I would also recommend solid core, rather than stranded .

Cheers
It's solid I am using, it's easy enough with the right connectors, that is what I was after advice about
There is a difference apparently
2 or 3 prong
I am going to order some from an electrical wholesaler and fingers crossed

Never crimped stranded....Surely they'd be more difficult to crimp?

Quite the opposite. "Normal" RJ45 plugs are designed to be crimped onto stranded ("patch") cable. You can "get away" with crimping plugs onto solid, but it's not "as designed." I've never had any problems doing so, but I've watched colleagues struggle. Equally there are "special" plugs for crimping onto solid, though I've never used them.

Conversely, solid cable is designed to be "punched" onto IDC blocks. If you try to punch stranded onto IDC, you've likely to have problems as the V shaped knives in the IDC are going to "cut through" the strands rather than "bit into" them as would be the case with solid. (And/or you might get a lot of "micro" arcing which can mess up the transmissions - I was once mightily chastised by a sparkie for "twisting together" my speaker cables for the same reason. :D )

Someone (here at AVF) once suggested you can use solder to tin the ends of stranded cable to punch them onto IDC. I've never tried that "dodge," but if I was backed into a corner and faced with terminating stranded onto IDC faceplates, I'd prefer to terminate (correctly) onto a plug and then use a faceplate that is essentially a female-female coupler mounted in a faceplate.

Everything you wanted to know about UTP with pictures of the pin outs can be found in my favourite page on the subject....

How to wire Ethernet Cables

Last edited:
Quite the opposite. "Normal" RJ45 plugs are designed to be crimped onto stranded ("patch") cable. You can "get away" with crimping plugs onto solid, but it's not "as designed." I've never had any problems doing so, but I've watched colleagues struggle. Equally there are "special" plugs for crimping onto solid, though I've never used them.

Conversely, solid cable is designed to be "punched" onto IDC blocks. If you try to punch stranded onto IDC, you've likely to have problems as the V shaped knives in the IDC are going to "cut through" the strands rather than "bit into" them as would be the case with solid. (And/or you might get a lot of "micro" arcing which can mess up the transmissions - I was once mightily chastised by a sparkie for "twisting together" my speaker cables for the same reason. :D )

Someone (here at AVF) once suggested you can use solder to tin the ends of stranded cable to punch them onto IDC. I've never tried that "dodge," but if I was backed into a corner and faced with terminating stranded onto IDC faceplates, I'd prefer to terminate (correctly) onto a plug and then use a faceplate that is essentially a female-female coupler mounted in a faceplate.

Everything you wanted to know about UTP with pictures of the pin outs can be found in my favourite page on the subject....

How to wire Ethernet Cables
Thanks, that's a good read.
Can you confirm that the wiring set up for my solid wiring Poe should be to the T568a diagram
Thanks

T568B is what is used nowadays. In all my years of networking I've not come across 568A in use, but that's not to say it isn't used in some places. As long as both ends are terminated to the same standard then it will work.

T568B is what is used nowadays. In all my years of networking I've not come across 568A in use, but that's not to say it isn't used in some places. As long as both ends are terminated to the same standard then it will work.
Thanks, yes t568b was how I was doing it
Did something right !
Think I gave them too much of a squeeze at the end

The biggest hassle I have with crimping plugs are:

A) the wires "jump around" as one inserts them into the plug and end up in the wrong hole: check the colours three times, then crimp - you can only do the latter once.

B) the wires are not pushed right to the end of the plug and as one crimps, the "teeth" of the contacts miss the wire and/or fail to make a contact with the conductor.

C) the sheath of the cable is cut off too far and the strain relief "misses" the sheath. This doesn't necessarily cause the cable to fail electrically, but means you don't get much mechanical support. (There's usually a little plastic "V bar" at the "sheath" end of the plug and as you crimp, the tool pushes the bar onto the sheath to provide mechanical support and strain relief.)

Crimping plugs is such a PITA I tend to avoid it if possible and buy "made" patchcords. We "sentence" junior tekkies to a few hours of crimping pathcords when they've been "naughty." :D

Last edited:
It's not much help if you've already bought your plugs and crimps (or only need a few), but I've found the EZ-RJ45 range much easier to terminate correctly first time (especially as my close up vision has begun to deteriorate). I can still successfully terminate correctly with these connectors even without my reading glasses!

It's not much help if you've already bought your plugs and crimps (or only need a few), but I've found the EZ-RJ45 range much easier to terminate correctly first time (especially as my close up vision has begun to deteriorate). I can still successfully terminate correctly with these connectors even without my reading glasses!
Yes they look good, just paying that much for a crimper would be hard to do
As Last resort I'll bear it in mind

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom