Terminal Sky+ problem?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Injebreck, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Injebreck

Injebreck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently having major problems with my Pace Sky+ boxes. Mid-January (the evening of the 17th actually), my box constantly cut out after a few seconds/minutes all night, which I put down to the EPG upgrade. It eventually settled down, but would no longer record/pause/playback. I put up with for a while as I'd read that it was a problem quite a few people had had and there was due to be another download to cure it.

About three weeks ago, I got tired of waiting and contacted the useless cretins at Sky CS, who simply gave me the standard reply and told me I may need a service engineer. Cheesed off with them, I did a full system reset and (I thought) cured the problem. Until, that is, about a fortnight ago, when my box simply died on me one night and wouldn't come out of standby. I bought a replacement box, which arrived today, but I've exactly the same problem. Before I play merry hell with the seller, is there anything I could do to get either or both working or are they both fritzed?

2. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You don't say if this "replacement" is new, old, used, not used, and that makes a huge difference. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't just take advantage of Sky's box replacement service for the cost of a £65 call-out as this seems to be very good value to me. They would have fixed all your faults for this one fee.

It may be that you have a short in the LNB cable, or that one of the outputs is shorted inside the LNB.

3. Injebreck

Injebreck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The replacement is used, for what it's worth. I didn't take advantage of Sky's box replacement service, because I didn't know about it! I thought the call-out charge was £65 and then there'd be another fee for a replacement, if necessary. Is it a one-off charge of £65, then, and they'll provide a fresh box, if necessary?

Obvious question, here, but what actually needs to be plugged in to the box for it to come out of standby mode (obviously apart from the power lead!)?

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Sky do indeed have sporadic problems with the Sky+ firmware, causing all sorts of record/pause problems for users.

However, if you've had two boxes actually 'die' on you I'd have to suspect that maybe you've got some sort of other problem local to you - iffy power supply or faulty cabling/LNB?

Were the boxes from different manufacturers? If so, then definitely look to local factors.

Gav

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Only the power cable. After it has booted, it will get no further than "searching for listings" if the LNB's are not plugged in. And obviously you won't see the message if you don't have a scart connection to the TV. Gavan is correct - the most obvious cause is shorted LNB cables or a defective LNB - try running the box for a couple of hours with the LNB cables disconnected.