1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

terminal board question?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ellisbailey, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    i am currently on the market to buy a plasma tv. what confuses me is the talk of terminal boards???

if i buy a plasma display do i then have to fiddle about connecting further boards to it?

i intend to connect everything to my receiver and run s-vid from there to the plasma.

can someone shed some light on this for me? many thanks in advance.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The plasma display is essentially a computer monitor. As such it doesn't have normal video inputs. To fix this manufacturers make them modular. This basically means that a plasma by itself might have NO inputs or just a PC HD15(VGA) INPUT.

To allow the addition of normal (composite, s-video, component) or special (sdi, dvi, hdsdi) signals yo would add a seperate slot in card with the associated circuitry for use with those signals. There is a an oppening covered up on the plasma's which is unscrewed and the new board is fitted. It is VERY easy and painless. Takes a matter of moments.

On another matter if you intend to get the best performance from your plasma you may want to read about connectivity as just running s-video will owrk but doesn't give you mch scope for highest picture quality or upgredability in future

Gordon