1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terestrial reception quality on HD TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by edric, May 25, 2005.

1. edric

edric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying a Sharp or panasonic 32" LCD television. Both have High Definition capabilities. I have been told that the quality of the display for none HD programmes via normal or difgital (freeview) will be worse on this type of LCD TV than a non HD model. Can anyone throw any light on the subject
    Thanks

2. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect what the person meant was that noisy analogue transmissions and overcompressed digital broadcasts can look worse on a digital display than on a CRT, not specifically on an HD display. You'd be hard pressed to find an LCD in the size bracket you're looking at that isn't HD (1280 x 720 or higher) anyway, although some of the budget 720p LCDs don't have high definition inputs even though the panel itself is HD capable. Most reputable manufacturers have begun to employ sophisticated noise reduction algorithms to minimise the artifacts, with Sony having one of the best (even analogue looks good on their LCDs).

Bottom line: make sure you thoroughly test the panel before buying it, with a variety of sources - Freeview, DVD, analogue etc (not that analogue is exactly easy to test in a high street shop due to the poor RF distribution feeds that retailers seem to think are ideal for showing off their TVs).

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    i have a dlp tv that is high def ready i can tell u watching terrestial of a standard ariel picture is awfull you need a good feed i wouldnt reccomend anything less than a digital picture :thumbsup: