Terayon tj210 - time capsule setup issues

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by ahrc, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ahrc

ahrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Terayon TJ210 which is connected via ethernet to my Netgear wireless router. Connect my PC or recently purchased Mac to the internet wirelessly, fine. Turned everything off and replaced the Netgear router with an Apple Time Capsule. Started everything up and am trying to get my mac to connect wirelessly via the TC, but the TC is not assigned an IP address and therefore applies one itself, starting 50. Have tried over 4 days now to get it to work, without success.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Hugh:lease:

2. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Hi Hugh and welcome to the forums!

So when you setup the TC, did you select the option to allow the TC to take care of IP address (DHCP) or have you put it in 'Bridge Mode?'

I would hazard a guess and say that DHCP was being taken care of by the Netgear router you had in place before?

What is the IP address of the TC (On the Mac, using Spotlight, open Airport Utility and when it opens, it should display the IP address of the TC).

I obviously don't know your level of I.T expertise so let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. ahrc

ahrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rafe,

Thanks for your reply. I did allow the TC to use DHCP and not bridge and yes DHCP was being managed by the Netgear router. The IP address from the TC is 169.254.235.200 and the SNM is 255.255.0.0.

I connected my PC directly to the Terayon via ethernet and connected OK to the internet, but when I tried the same with the mac,nothing and got ip of 169.254.10.150.

I have tried many other combos on the TC setup, resetting each time and powering everything down, then starting up Terayon, TC and laptop, but still no success. Really stuck as to what to do now.

Hugh

4. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address is a private address so yes you do have a problem. Your TC has not been assigned an IP address from the Terayon router.

From what you have told me, I would say that your Terayon must be handling DHCP because when you plug your laptop in via ethernet, you are getting access to the Internet.

You have set up the TC to handle DHCP but in order for the TC to do that, you must disable DHCP handling on the Terayon router (which isn't exactly necessary).

Try these settings on the TC. Start from fresh!

1). Give the TC a name and password
    2). When asked, select that you want to create a wirless network.
    3). Enter in a network name i.e. Hugh's Time Capsule and wpa password
    4). Select 'Bridge' mode. This will allow the Terayon router to handle DHCP
    5). Continue past the next screen
    6). Press 'Update'.
    7). Once the settings have been saved, check back in the Airport Utility to see if it has been assigned a correct IP address (something like 192.168.0.X)

I am hoping that the TC will then pick up an IP address from the Terayon router. Then the TC will allow you to connect to the Internet wirelessly.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. ahrc

ahrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Still no luck. I configured as you suggested and still get the same problem i.e. TC assigns an IP starting 169. I have attached screenshots of all the steps I took.

The only common denominator here appears to be when I try and get an IP from my Teranyon directly to either the Mac or the TC.

Hugh

Attached Files:

6. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Superb PDF mate, that has at least given us an insight into exactly what you have done.

I spent around an hour last night trying to find out what the problem could be. I found out that when Leopard was released, lots of users had issues trying to get their Mac's to be assigned an IP address via a router.

This is the link I found (and I read through all the pages)....

SELF-ASSIGNED IP??? (ethernet) - Page 5 - Mac Forums

There are lots of trouble shooting tips including clearing out the Keychain access list etc.

You certainly have an issue because the TC has the 'Yellow' flashing light indicating in this case that it hasn't picked up an IP address. You also get the same issue when you directly connect your Mac via ethernet to the router.

I really am out of idea's from my experience so I would have a read through the link provided and see if any of them work.

The router you are using could be the issue?

7. ahrc

ahrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rafe,

Thanks for your help. I checked out th ethread and tried all the suggestions, with no luck. Not sure where to go now but will keep looking.

Regards,

Hugh

8. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    No problem - remember to use the thanks button!

Like I said, I would guess now that the router you have could be the issue?

9. jrayboul

jrayboul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sounds like you might have a dhcp issue between the time capsule and the router I have seen this before with different makes of network equipment, to see if it is definately a dhcp issue why dont you set a static ip address in the time capsule (make sure its not in the dhcp range) and the default gateway and see if this allows connectivity to the time capsule.

If this works make sure you have updated both the router and time capsule with the latest updates (just in case its a known issue) and try dhcp again.

10. ahrc

ahrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally persuaded my ISP to replace their cable modem as the one I had was about 8 yrs old. Installed it and was then able to setup my TC no problem.

Thanks to all for your help.:thumbsup:

11. Rikutter

Rikutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I noticed many people are still having problem with the Time Capsule and creating a wireless network. I solved my own problems and wrote some comments on how you might get it done on my blog.

Thanks for all the help here, it helped me resolve my issues!