Tenet Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I caveat all this with the fact Michael Bay is still allowed to direct half-billion dollar projects after seventeen, somehow unbelievably, increasingly bad TF sequels and (should-have-been-buried)Six Underground. In a world where this is a reality, Nolan should get a 100 year free pass.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well I've just watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and I'm aghast.

Nolan ripped it off for Tenet.

Bill and Ted were first to inverse and maintain the loop, long before the Protagonist and Neil.

mazon27091

I think the studios are going to have to play the long game with movies in future. The first weekend box-office will always be big (not big by previous standards) but after that they are gonna have to keep promoting the titles online aggressively, add content, get actors to live Q&A etc just to keep the movie seeming fresh/new. The marketing is going to have to change and there is no reason why they can't get back to previous figures eventually it's going to take some work thats all.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I think the studios are going to have to play the long game with movies in future. The first weekend box-office will always be big (not big by previous standards) but after that they are gonna have to keep promoting the titles online aggressively, add content, get actors to live Q&A etc just to keep the movie seeming fresh/new. The marketing is going to have to change and there is no reason why they can't get back to previous figures eventually it's going to take some work thats all.
I agree. I think Warner Brother’s plan is to hold back their other releases so there is nothing competing with Tenet and to let Tenet run to Christmas or longer and to build up the takings slowly.

This is okay for the film studies but I can’t see it be any good for the cinemas. Warner Brothers may not care if Tenet is the only thing showing for four months getting their money back in drips and drabs, but cinemas won’t be able to attract audiences with nothing to show.

Cheers,

Nigel

jdevil

Distinguished Member
True, but even in a post-Covid world would the studio be confident in Nolan's continued ability to bring in a big audience? Regardless of the pandemic, audiences haven't responded to this one with the same consensus, and that's likely to dampen enthusiasm for future projects. In fact, since The Dark Knight Trilogy, his box office numbers have been falling with each film. I know if I were a studio exec, I'd be holding my purse strings a little bit tighter for next time.

(Unless he directs another superhero movie that is :)).
I think you're looking at the box office out of context here, surely you can't be expecting a film like Tenet to bring in the same numbers as a comic book film or established known franchise.

The reality is Nolan's films have all been extremely successfully within their defined genre;
  1. Inception is one of the highest grossing Thrillers.
  2. Dunkirk I believe is the highest grossing War film
  3. Interstellar is one of the highest grossing Sci-fi films
What Nolan has achieved is far more impressive than him directing the next Marvel or Star wars film to gross billions at the box office (Captain Marvel director's proves my point).

I'm glad Warner Bros has the full support of Nolan and I would include Denis Villeneuve on that list too, the box office for Blade Runner was a criminal and even if Dune flops I still believe they will give DV one more shot at a big budget film.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I think you're looking at the box office out of context here, surely you can't be expecting a film like Tenet to bring in the same numbers as a comic book film or established known franchise.

The reality is Nolan's films have all been extremely successfully within their defined genre;
  1. Inception is one of the highest grossing Thrillers.
  2. Dunkirk I believe is the highest grossing War film
  3. Interstellar is one of the highest grossing Sci-fi films
What Nolan has achieved is far more impressive than him directing the next Marvel or Star wars film to gross billions at the box office (Captain Marvel director's proves my point).

I'm glad Warner Bros has the full support of Nolan and I would include Denis Villeneuve on that list too, the box office for Blade Runner was a criminal and even if Dune flops I still believe they will give DV one more shot at a big budget film.
I didn't quite mean that. I mean there's a possibility that Nolan might be bleeding fans, judging by the falling box office numbers (pre-covid) for each successive film. Interstellar, Dunkirk and now Tenet have failed to light the box office alight, and are relatively divisive even among Nolan die-hards. If I were working for Warners I'd be worried about his continued longevity. And yet, his last two Dark Knight films were both billion dollar affairs (hence my 'superhero' remark). Not suggesting Nolan (or Villeneuve) start making Marvel movies :).