Tenda Nova NW6 channel change

Matty Boy50

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm having problems with my virgin broadband for a while, just so intermittent and can drop to 1mb and back up to 100mb within a minute. I really must sort this. I've gone through their steps so I know it isn't anything physical. Could it be the channel that the tenda nova is on being interfered with? If so, I can't see a place in the app to change it. Can anyone help?

Matt

mickevh

Distinguished Member

Matty Boy50

Novice Member
So I may have found a partial solution. My son was using up 50mbs for some reason when he downloading something. So if this is the case would that mean if I was doing a 'test the internet speed' on my phone sitting next to the tenda nova main cube that I would see less mbs or should I still see 100mbs (which is my virgin package) ?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
In Wi-Fi technology "only one thing at a time can transmit" (including the AP's,) The more "things" there are, the more data they want to transmit, the more competition (it's anything but "fair") there is for some "air time." Just like a formal meeting where only one person at a time is permitted to speak and there are "rules" about how one gains use of the air waves.

Matty Boy50

Novice Member
In Wi-Fi technology "only one thing at a time can transmit" (including the AP's,) The more "things" there are, the more data they want to transmit, the more competition (it's anything but "fair") there is for some "air time." Just like a formal meeting where only one person at a time is permitted to speak and there are "rules" about how one gains use of the air waves.
So if it gets 'shared out' then how can I stop my son drawing so much? It's prioritising isn't correct. My TV downstairs (internet) just keeps stuttering etc.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
There are some Wi-Fi AP's that implement functions such as bandwidth allocation/metering/prioritisation, so it's a matter of choosing some technology that fits your needs - it's not universally provided.

There are also routing devices that can apply allocation/metering/prioritisation on the Internet link thereby effecting similar results albeit not on the Wi-FI throughput per se.

So it's a case of shopping for the "right" kit.

Personally, I've found such tech. a bit hit and miss. Due to the way IP based distributed data networks function, it'a somewhat "hard" to meter out bandwidth reliably, so you end up putting the controls in place but need to be a bit "zen" about the fact that it isn't 100% reliable. In much the same way that we might ascribe "bus lane" on a highway which certainly gives priority to buses, but doesn't guarantee that our buses won't get delayed in a traffic jam.

Matty Boy50

Novice Member
Thanks. So there's nothing I can implement on my Tenda Nova network to achieve this? There's a toggle for QoS, which if enabled gives priority to smooth gaming and web browsing. Should I switch that off?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I guess you could just try it and see if you notice any difference - it shouldn't "damage" anything and I doubt the network will fall apart if you disable it.

I would need to dig into the details of how that system works to see how it's doing it, but the tenor of the language you've used to describe it suggest it's possibly prioritising traffic on particular TCP/IP ports, such as port 80 for web traffic though I'm at a loss to know how they would identify what is "gaming" traffic and what isn't.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom