Tenda Nova MW3

sharonsa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I Have 3 nods of the Tenda Nova MW3.
One is connected to the main modem. A strange thing happens when I connect another node far from the main node - the internet speed decreases significantly when I am near the secondary node. If I unplug the secondary node, then the internet speed increases again (even though I'm far from the main unit).
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

If you are using them in wireless extender mode rather than wired a wired ethernet connection as the backhaul then you will get a significant drop in speed due to wifi/wireless extenders work - a wireless extenders effectively halves the bandwidth of the link. More expensive system add a dedicated third radio for the wireless link between modes to avoid this impact.

So the only improvement you can make when using as wireless extenders is to ensure that there is a very good 5GHz signal link at each mesh node to keep link speeds up. If you have the units placed so the signal/link rate is low then it will only seem very much slower when the rate is halved once the mesh is established.

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. I though that the whole point of this system is to extend the range wirelessly.
How do I ensure that there is a very good 5GHz signal link at each mesh node?
Thanks again

It does what is says, but performance is very different depending on whether you connect the mesh nodes via wired ethernet or link them wirelessly. There’s no realistic difference between different brands unless you upgrade to tri-band systems.

I’ve not used the agenda system before, but expect that there setup/management app should allow you to check the signal between nodes to aid with best placement.

It does what is says, but performance is very different depending on whether you connect the mesh nodes via wired ethernet or link them wirelessly. There’s no realistic difference between different brands unless you upgrade to tri-band systems.

I’ve not used the agenda system before, but expect that there setup/management app should allow you to check the signal between nodes to aid with best placement.
Thank you very much for your help

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. I though that the whole point of this system is to extend the range wirelessly.

Of course, it has, but at the penalty of performance. They just don't tell you that on the tin!

In Wi-Fi networking "only one thing at a time can transmit" - which includes the node-to-node tranmissions in so-called "mesh" systems. So if a packet (message) is being relayed N1---N2---C the N1---N2 and N2---C cannot occur at the same time, which doubles the apparent end-to-end journey time which manifests as a halving in throughput (speed.) The more mesh nodes you add, the worse this effect gets.

If you then compound the effect because (for example) the signalling conditions between N1---N2 are not very good, it can lead to a further reduction in speed (or increase in transmissions time) and performance drops again.

For this reason, when large system builders are deploying Wi-Fi solutions, we always avoid using "mesh" if we possibly can and use wired ethernet backhauls between the AP's and the rest of the (wired) network.

The transmissions over the wires can occur concurrency with the Wi-Fi transmissions and in a "cellular" network of multiple Wi-FI hotspots we tune the radio channels used so that neighbouring cells use different frequencies so that they can transmit/receive concurrently with their neighbours. Mesh systems, particularly the cheap ones, often cannot do this.

Last edited:
Hi, I recently bought the MW3 AC1200 mesh wifi system to improve the coverage of my virgin media hub throughout my home. I have set up the system and it is working well distributing throughout my home with one node connected directly to the WM hub by an ethernet cable and 2 other nodes connect wirelessly. The only issue I have is that at my virgin hub I have speed of around 350-400 mbps but at my primary node I am only getting up to 80 mbps even with no wireless nodes connected. I have tried this using a variety of ethernet cables, so the cable is not the issue. This means I am not getting the benefit of the high-speed connection throughout the house. Can you please help? thanks.

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I assume you checked the device specifications?

The ethernet ports are 10/100 & as such you are around their maximum performance.

thanks for your help.
I didn't realize that with this product the spec details that the speed drop will occur as I'm a complete novice when it comes to items like this. Would the Mw5G be a better option than the MW3 as the attached web page seems to detail that there will be no drop from hub to primary node?

thanks for your help.
I didn't realize that with this product the spec details that the speed drop will occur as I'm a complete novice when it comes to items like this. Would the Mw5G be a better option than the MW3 as the attached web page seems to detail that there will be no drop from hub to primary node?

this is the specification. thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom