Tenda ac15 AC 1900 blocking Disney+

IAmJacksDraw

Novice Member
I am using a Tenda AC15 AC1900 router as a wireless repeater for my Netgear R6300 v2 (the Wi-Fi connection to the end of the house containing the Tenda router didn't have good strength to my devices.) It worked wonderfully until about a month ago. Now the Tenda router is blocking access to Disney+ from the browser, or the apps on my Xbox and mobile. I have tried it on all platforms via the Wi-Fi on the R6300 (I even tried the browser on a laptop jacked into the ethernet on the R6300) and it worked fine. I didn't find any relevant settings on the device to change, and I even did a device reset on both routers (grasping at straws.) Any suggestions?

And I did attempt contacting Tenda support via e-mail, but have yet to receive a reply.
 

mickevh

Distinguished Member
How have you connected the two routers together...?

If you've created a "router behind a router" you may be getting issues with multiple NAT translation. This sort of thing can trip up when the target web site changes something about how it operates rather than the hardware you are using.

You may care to have a read of the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum.
 

IAmJacksDraw

Novice Member
I'll give that a try. It's just odd since previously it worked normally (for years) and the second router is configured in wireless repeater mode and technically is no longer a router.

Thanks for the advice!
 

mickevh

Distinguished Member
If router2 is functioning as a Wi-Fi Repeater, then it shouldn't be getting in the way as it won't (shouldn't) be routing, NAT translating or firewalling. True Wi-Fi Repeaters simply relay the Wi-Fi packets from one device to another without even bothering to decompose them to extract the IP datagrams within (routers/NAT/firewall acts on IP packets, Wi-Fi Repeaters act on everything.)

That being the case, I think it is unlikely you Repeater is causing the problem because it would have to "go out of it's way" to act differently on one type of traffic versus another and repeaters just don't discriminate between one type of traffic or another.

That said, I cannot offer any ideas as to what is going wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that I've got a Wi-Fi Repeater that screws up the client IP addressing - essentially it proxies the MAC Address of any client devices that roam to it, the upshot being that the client devices IP addresses change when using the Repeater and that messes up a few of my applications and explains why they "work" when clients connect to my router and fail when connected to my Repeater. However, these tend to be local apps (like backup) that I have keyed on IP addresses rather than anything I access over the Internet.

Maybe have a look see if yours is doing something similar - ie, do your clients get different IP addresses when they roam between router and repeater.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom