1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tempting the girlfriend to watch Band of Brothers?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stinja, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    Bit of quandary; the girlfriend claims she dosent like war movies (like WW2 stuff) yet i've gotten vague interest from mentioning how good Band of Brothers is. I'll probably get one, or at most two, shots at getting her into it.

So should i start from episode one, or pick a specific "good" episode and try with that? Has anyone had similar woman problems? and if they have gotten their Significant Other/GF/wife to watch, which episode did they like the best?

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'd say without doubt to start with the Documentary "We All Stand Together" - it is (IMHO) ideal, gets the ideal introduction to the characters, is "real", and also also very moving and even funny at the same time. My wife watched this as both of our introductions to BoB, and it led ultimately to us both trekking across Europe for an unforgettable trip to visit many of the places as shown in the series itself, right down to the little church where they sit and reflect after Bastogne. I can therefore testify that it worked for me big style. :thumbsup: Good luck!

3. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had no chance of getting my wife interested in BoB so opted to watch the lot by myslef when the house was empty at about -18 volume and enjoyed it very much.

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    its one of my wifes fav programmes :smashin: but i'm wife seems to be the exception to the rule!! (her fav TV show is the Shield! - quickly followed by "the wire")

Gary

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’m in a similar situation, every time I even mention watching BoB I get nothing but tuts :(

I think part of the problem is that it’s not a film that’s over in 2 hours. If that was the case she may be able to handle it, but given it is over 10 hours it just scares her off!

6. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    After I had watched the first 2 DVDs I tried to get her interested telling her it was based on fact ect but I think its war topic in general that she has no interest in.

I must say its very very good and worth watching

7. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    Yeah i've watched it already myself, but unlike The Gooner it's sort of hard to get the 10+ hours needed to watch them to myself. It's not the length, she's watch B5 series 1-4, more worried about the "manlyness" and general theme - i think shes been burnt by stuff like the Iwo Jima which has put her off WW2 stuff.

Well glad to know its not just me, i might try "We stand together", then the one with the medic and female nurse might be worth a crack if that hasnt grabbed her...

8. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    HEHE the good thing of shift work, the days off when kids at school and misses at work, :thumbsup: