1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tempted by the Pioneer FDE over the Hitachi 7200 - am I mad?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Max Payne, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Was ready to get the Hitachi 7200, but now have been offered the chance of buying the Pioneer FDE for the same price.

I absolutely love the look of the pioneer and have always wanted one but they were always over the price I had to pay -so what do I do as the Hitachi is the bee's knees at the moment

Is the FDE still good enough and comparible to the hitachi or the hitachi newer/better technology?

****, confused now?

Anyone have any help/advice?

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Does the price include a stand and speakers with the pioneer.....???
    If it does then go for the pioneer.....
    The screen is an inch bigger, so you get more for your money.
    Plus if you are buying from a works dealer ( what ever that means), you get a pioneer 2 year warranty.

3. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for that

I am still to hear back on whether it includes the stand etc.

I was concerned after flicking through some of my magazines and some of them gave the Fde only 3 stars - so im a bit concerned I will end up with the "crappy" pioneer?

Is there a HUGE difference between the XDE and the FDE? And is the differenc enought to warrant going for the Hitachi instead?

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I cannot remember what the difference's are........i know the xde has freeview and the fde does not, but what else there is between them, i'm not sure.
    It's the same panel, just a different tuner/media box.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Well I don't like the Pioneer range of plasmas, I had an XDE but got rid of it after a week, but having said that I have just spent a couple of hours with a 7200 today and I personally think it is awful, it looks very digital and the blacks are terrible, to be fair they are not as bad as some screens as they don't look milky grey all the time but by the time you get them looking dark enough you are crushing all the detail. There is a black enhancer section in the menu but this does more damage than good and you need to turn this off, play a black test pattern and adjust this and you see it does bugger all, so all it is doing is making grey darker than it should be, giving perceived blacker blacks.
    There was a couple of other things in the menu too, one was called LTI and all it seemed to do was add noise, can someone tell me what this is meant for?
    And the other one was CTI which did something to the colour I think but couldn't see any benefit at all, so turned that off along with YCR and CNR.
    There was also far too much green in the image, you didn't need any tools to see this, just a disc you know well.
    All in all, not impressed with it at all, only good point is the connections really, can't think of anything else positive to say.

First impression of this screen was good as well, I saw it running in the same shop as a Panny PV50 and it looked nearly as good, just goes to show you should never decide based on set ups in a shop and why it is worth going to somewhere like av-sales etc. to see them properly.

This is only my opinion, and I know I am fussier than alot of people, all I can do is compare it with screens I know well and have owned which include, pw6, 435xde, nec 42XM3 and the panny HD6 and give an opinion versus them.

I think the Pioneer would be the better buy out of the two if you have to have one of those.

Edit: what is the contrast ratio of the 7200? I thought it was advertised at 3000:1? but looking at it I would say it is nearer 800:1 as it is not much better than my iiyama lcd monitor

6. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can compare the two here (if the link works)

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_compare.jsp

The XDE looks better specced.

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Why can you not buy the XDE then......??
    Most place's i was looking at, were advertising the XDE for less than the FDE.
    AV-sales are doing a good price on the XDE at the moment and most good shop's will price match it.
    After you take out the price for 2 return flights to New York and an extra years warranty, the price is around £1900 for the screen, media box, stand and speakers.... :clap: , seems a good deal to me.

8. Anderzander

Anderzander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an FDE and love it :-D

You'll hear both sides to any argument on most panels here - best thing is to think what you want from it, then go and look it.

The only difference between the f and x is freeview and a couple of connections on the front.

9. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for the replies,

I have been reading here that you can't connect a pc to the FDE - is that correct?

If thats the case, then it will have to be the hitachi.

Can you someone confirm that a PC/LAPTOP CANNOT be connected to the FDE?

Thanks!

10. T69

T69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello max,

before i bought my 42pd7200 i did test this 3 plasma's:

pio 435fde
    pana 500
    and
    hitachi 42pd7200

why I choose the hitachi:

- imho the best design with mot. stand
    - commes with speaker and mot. stand
    - bests connections (hdmi and dvi)
    - great 4:3 picture with the panoramic mode
    - natural colors

all 3 plasma's are great, the pana have the best black, but for me the hitachi has the best colors. before you buy a plasma go and test them, make your own opinion... then only you will be happy with your new plasma.

sorry for my bad english...

:) T69

11. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go here
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/support/support/manuals.html
    You can download the manual and check