1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Temporary" PJ practicality ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Noger, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have been lurking for quite a few week, lots of information to absorb ! But have come to a bit of quandry, and wonder if you could offer some advice.

The trigger for looking at PJ's is twofold, firstly I have been offered a s/h Epson EMP-70 (think that is model no) for £600 plus spare bulb - it's from a collegue so I know the history. Secondly we currently have a 24" (don't laugh) widescreen tv, with DVD, but no speakers other than the TV ones. I am told that the Helms Deep scene in LOTR : Two Towers is one of the most breathtaking ever .... not on our telly it wasn't. Definately felt we were missing out on something, but it is fine for Corrie !

We are lucky in having two main "living" rooms, a kitchen / family room which has the TV in, and sitting room with hifi. Sadly permission was not given for a screen in the kitchen , it is quite big and has beams that are just perfect for mounting, but the oracle said "NO". Permission was however granted for something in the other room. The vision being something for watching DVD's only (so a dark room), that could be packed away when not in use. PJ likely to be on a coffee table, about 12-15 foot away from the wall.

So a couple of questions. Should I be considering the Epson ? Review say it is quite noisy, and perhaps is not the most modern thing, perhaps a few more hundred spent on a newer model would be better ? And is this "pack away" idea viable ? Not after the ultimate "cinema" experience, but just something that is more involving that a postage stamp at the other end of the room !

Many thanks,

N.

2. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    coffee table PJ is reasonably common . however pjs like to be fixed .. makes them last longer and have less problems

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Specs for the Epson are:-
    Resolution XGA
    Weight 3.1 kg
    Brightness 700 lumens
    Display type LCD
    Lamp Life 2000 hours
    Contrast Ratio 400:1
    Fan Noise 42 dB

Which is okay for PC use but not much cop for DVD playback.

You can pick up a Panasonic AE100 for 600 quid and it will give you better contrast/colour and it has a native widescreen LCD panels so the actual screen resolution will be higher. It is also much quieter.

Also consider the Sanyo PLV-Z1 or Infocus X1. Both will give you outstanding picture quality for less then a grand.

And this whole pack it away idea is what I have to do. I have a roll down (blackout blind) and set the Panny on a coffee table. 5 mins of set up and your ready to go. Keeps it very wife friendly.

Also, don't understand Mirablo comments. These devices are designed to be moved and transported to different locations. I even took mine on holiday with me (sad git that I am) so my father could see it.

Anyway, gots to go. I'm about to put on StarTrek Nemesis on my lovely home cinema. Go for it. You'll never regret it.

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think Mirablo meant that less jolts to the machine would mean less likely hood of the panels coming misalligned etc. Its like laptop computers, most had the harddrive go because of the needle wacking down on the drive when the uni was used on the move, not like a desktop pc where the base unit stays in one place all the time. my sanyo pj had a panel misallignment as i was always moving it to square up the image on the screen when it was placed on a shelf and constantly got moved due to vibration around the house. now the pj is ceiling mounted.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi N, welcome to the forums.

I'd echo previous comments............. you should think about an entry level projector (well under £1000) - AE200, Z1... native widescreen, better contrast ratio and colour fidelity than an older model business projector (and a hell of a lot quieter too...).

I lived with the "coffee table" experience of a couple of months before dedicating a room for movies - it's perfectly viable, PJ never got bumped/knocked/whatever, 8 year old and teenager (and their friends) were suitably wowed by the 7 - 8 ft image on the wall to understand that this was something to be careful about !

If you yearn for the "big image" to go with your dvd viewing, I'd say go for it - you'll never look back.

Sean G.

6. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice... have said no to the Epson.

Understand the point about the constant moving though, although the amount of abuse I have given my employers pj's over the years (wait for it to cool down before moving ... sh'yeah right !) it amazes me they worked as well as they did.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I use my ae100 on a tripod at the moment as I'll be moving my home cinema downstairs shortly.

It takes me about 5 mins to set it up and than includes cabling it up to an HTPC and hooking that up to a decoder .

Its fine to move around as long as you let it cool down before dismantling and avoid any sharp knocks.

8. MrTaylor

MrTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the New hitachi Tx10 and its price is £785 + vat, blows the socks off the Z1 (bit grainy) and as the PT100 has died now i would say its a great choice, fantastic for DVD's really pleased.

9. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i ment was that PJs are perfectly mobile but moving and storing them "can" cause problems that you may not get if they are fixed. not saying that it will break in five minutes but in my experience setting it up and leaving it set is best but not always possible in which case carefull storage is whats needed (also make sure your cables have strong ends) ;)

10. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Helm's Deep (and the rest of the movie) sounds cr*p without a decent sound system and subwoofer too. I was watching it for the first time on DVD yesterday and practically every scene had some serious low frequency effects. The room was literally shaking to the wings of the Wraith's dragon when they were in the Dead Marches scene. :D

I enjoyed itmore than the 2 outings to see TTT at the flics last December! Can't wait for the Extended Edition.

IMO, sound first, picture second!
    I'm saving for a CRT proj. (no idea where to put it tho!)

my 2 cents,
    Owen

11. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, thats what I feared. I have a pretty good (Roksan / Linn) audio set up already, and was hoping that by adding a couple of rears (I have a spare set of JBL monitors) and a sub this will do the trick.

12. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I have a Z1 I move into the middle of the room when I want to use it. Your wife does realise the room is going to be filled with speakers doesn't she :D

Are you sure your Linn does 5.1? I can't imagine watching a 7/8ft image with sterio sound... especially with a film like LOTR.

Maybe you should start a shopping list :)

1) five speaker set-up + sub

2) amp to do 5.1

3) projector.

4) 10 miles of various cables

:D

13. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: I am going to have to re-mortgage !

Shopping list

1) Projector
    2) Screen
    3) DSP processor to drive rears
    4) Sub
    5) Cables

Re-use : Stereo Amp, DVD player, Front Speaker Pair, JBL monitors

DVD players is likely to be the first to change, as it will be used in both rooms, and doesn't do Prog Scan.

That is just a first stab, need to ask lots of questions in other forums ;)