1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary FP Setup

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dBa, Sep 9, 2003.

1. dBa

dBa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about going the front projector route, but it's all new to me (sort of Not the 9'o'clock News "do you want a bag on your head ?").

Read through quite a few really helpful posts here (inc the FAQ) but have a few more specific questions .....

1. The only way 'er indoors will agree to a projector is if it is a temp setup that is pulled out just to view DVD's at night and then put away afterwards. Is this a good ideal or is it too much of a pain in the neck. (e.g. Is using a portable tripod screen too much of a botch-up). The long term plan would be to move to a 'proper setup' in the future but first things first ......

2. Thinking about the Sanyo Z1 but waiting to see how good the Z2 and other projectors are first. Is it OK to mount this projector on a small table 1.7m from the screen and a few centimetres under the bottom of the screen. Viewing distance from screen would be around 2.8 meters. I'm only looking for a 1-1.4m image (40"- 55") aiming for 1.5 to 2 X screen diagonal to audience. Don't want to pay 5000 Euro on a Plasma but am also considering the RP route. Is 45"-55" too small a screen size for a front projector? will the screen be brighter/better or too intense?

Thanks in advance

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, yes. Too small :(

If you can't stretch to a plasma, maybe a nice RP TV would be more suitable/affordable.

:smoke:

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    I agree with Kramer 100%

40-55" way too small to be worth the hassle of front-projecting.

Is there a reason for this size limitation?

Steve

4. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my moneys on

:lesson:

5. dBa

dBa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all, I'm the boss in our house (but only because she says so) :rolleyes:

We (I) need to come up with a plan here ............. but it ain't over till the fat lady sings (or the wife says !!!!%####).

6. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    afaik the Z1 needs to be in the middle of the screen to avoid keystone so if its below the bottom of the screne its going to need rarther alot of keystone .. which is never ideal

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

This is not true. The Z1 with maximum lens shift has the bottom (or top) of the image slight above (or below) the centre of the lens. (brackets show ceiling mount)

Steve

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    dBa

looking at your viewing distance of 2.8m I'd say this is a bit too close to the screen for comfortable viewing of a large screen image. Is there any way you could move your chair back? I'd say 3-4m would be better.

That way you can take more advantage of the bigger screen area a PJ offers from a more comfortable distance. Sitting too close with a big screen area and you will see the pixel structure of the projector's LCD panel.

If your viewing distance and estimated screen size are fixed I'd say that a projector may not be ideal.

An RP TV will gve you a good screen size at a reasonable cost and will be brighter in daylight conditions. But think of the size of one of these things. I can't think of anything less room friendly than a RP TV (assuming that's what you meant by RP).

A ceiling mounted PJ would give you a great image and can be more or less invisible given the size of current PJs. The keystone correction (IMO) is worth the slight loss of picture quality for an invisible set up. And with a ceiling mounted screen you'd be in business. I have my screen placed over a window area with a housing around it to hide it. My brother-in-law has his in a similar position but hidden behing a curtain pelmet. You'd never now it was there. And it's less hassle than a pop up screen in the middle of the room.

Cheers

Chris

9. dBa

dBa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses .......

Would go rear projection but the prices are ridiculous here (Austria). 2300 Euros for a Tosh 43PW23 when they are only 1550 in Germany - get away even Dick Turpin wore a mask.

The room is pretty big (8 x 5 m) and by replacing a TV cabinet (and moving the couch a bit) 4m from a wall mounted screen to the audience can be achieved. I think this should be OK if I move up to a 6 or 7ft screen. (but 7 ft /2.15m would be the limit.) 'er indoors gets a new TV stand so this is no problem and already agreed.

The biggest problem is the positioning of the projector. The floor above is wood parquet (and I dont dare pull that up), the ceiling has a rather nice textured effect and chasing in or surface mounting wires would seriousley damage my health (not to mention my sex life). This is why the small table in front of the viewers would be good if it would work (would the Sanyo Z2 or something else work better than the Z1 in this respect?).

Running wires round the side of the room is a posibility and perhaps mounting a projector on a taller stand/piece of furniture is the way to go. I might need a projector with different throw ratios so I can mount the projector behind the viewers at a higher level. Would this work?

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    dBa

I moved to a new house recently with a room dimension similar to yours. At the moment my screen is on the short wall and I have my PJ about 4m back from the wall. It's sat on a (don't laugh) piece of furniture from Ikea. It's about 0.5m high, squarish but has a shelf in the middle. This is where the Pj sits. I have this sat on a rug in front of the sofa and the cable runs under a rug. At the moment it's sat there permanently. I would't want to be having to wire it up every time i wanted to watch it. Once you get hooked on the big screen their aint no going back. :D

The cables are pretty discreet as the rug extends to the wall and the they then runs along the skirting boar to plug sockets and DVD player.

But you could just as easily have the PJ sat on a stand or something behind your viewing position. Depends how creative you want to be I guess. The big thing to watch though is throw distance. My AE100 has to sit where it is because if it was any further away from the screen the image would not fit my screen.

But having the keystone on honestly doesn't seem to make that much difference to the image (IMO). At my last house I had the PJ set square on to the screen and the image from ithe PJs new position only 30cm of the floor looks ok to me with the keystone switched on.

Cheers

Chris