• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Temperatures

GrumpyOldGamer

My PC was purchased from scan in 2014, at the time it was classed as high end obviously now it isn't but I've upgraded bits over the years current spec is...

Motherboard: Asus Z97K
CPU: Intel i5 4690k overclocked
GPU: Nvidia GTX1060 6gb
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Now the case is an old Corsair case with an enclosed front panel bringing in little air and a 120mm rear exhaust fan which in 2014 was fine, now with more demanding games I've changed those fans to Corsair high airflow fans and added two extra 140mm fans to the top that draw air into the case, my CPU and GPU hit over 70 degrees when gaming, my GTX1060 hits 81 degrees on occasion so new case needed? Is the airflow wrong?

Attachments

• 20190302_184914.jpg
    20190302_184914.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
  • 20190302_135901.jpg
    20190302_135901.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Is they any fans at the front of the case bring cold air in ?
can that front drive bay be removed ?

Change the top fans so that it's extracting the air , looks to me that theirs too much air coming in and not enough going out with only having 1 fan as an exhaust at the rear so it's trapping the hot air inside , thus having the higher temps .

it will result in having negative air pressure but it should help in removing the hot air .

Ftorek

normally in case it would pull in cold air from front and exhaust towards back and top... since hot air raises this setup follows natural order of things :)

in relation to GPU itself however - google says it will start throttling at around 83deg - so you still have a bit of breathing space

i'd install some software to monitor fans speeds and keep an eye on what happening with them and when... do they kick in at good times - do they speed-up properly?

i don't think you need new case - it looks pretty tidy inside :)
maybe update fans? bigger in front to pull in more cold air? See what you can squeeze in

m.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Theres a corsair high airflow fan at the front, didnt want to remove the drive bay covers because more dust will get in, I dont think this case if efficient anymore now I have newer components, I'd love to case swap but wouldn't have a clue where to start.
A case swap is easy , just the same as building a PC , but with out having to seat the CPU and RAM , you have already done the GPU so you know how to do that ,
the only part where you might get stuck is the front panel cables ( little cables for power, reset and HDD indicators - but there all labelled you'll just need to know where they go from you mobo manual )
and routing the cables - just need to make sure their clean and tidy for a decent cable management .
if you live up north Co.Durham i'd be happy to help you out in doing it .

HRL

Is they any fans at the front of the case bring cold air in ?
can that front drive bay be removed ?

Change the top fans so that it's extracting the air , looks to me that theirs too much air coming in and not enough going out with only having 1 fan as an exhaust at the rear so it's trapping the hot air inside , thus having the higher temps .

it will result in having negative air pressure but it should help in removing the hot air .

Exactly this. You want hot air being sucked out the top, not forcing cool air downwards.

I’d remove anything surplus to requirements from inside the case too. Any drive caddies not being used, etc.

Might also be worth pulling the PC another inch away from the rear wall if you can. :)

messenger

I totally agree with everyone's opinions above on fan placement etc, but honestly CPU and GPU temps hitting over 70c while gaming with an air cooler is completely normal. GTX 1060 ramping as high as 81c under heavy load is nothing to worry about either as these a fitted with thermal cut out perhaps resulting as a hitch on screen to the gamer but I'd say your temps are fine.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Maybe worth changing the thermal paste if it has been in for 5 years.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom