Temperature sensor and LED display required

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Nimiq1, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Nimiq1

Nimiq1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys,

Not sure where to post this or even if it's ok to ask in here but here we go.

Pre-amble

I have a problem with the temperature sensor/display on my car. Now trust me, I have done just about everything I can think of to fix this little 'glitch' with no joy at all. New Sensor, Coolant changed, Thermostat changed etc. What happens is this. I can use the car every day for weeks and it is just perfect, temperature gauge is in the middle, only dropping very slightly, if I am on the Motorway at speed, then it goes back to the middle after slowing down.

Then, for reasons only known to the car or its ECU, once every blue moon, I see the Check Engine light come on, then 10 seconds later the temp Gauge rises to the top, Red Light comes on and it stays there. First few times, I pulled over, checked under the Bonnet but all was fine, it was not overheating, it did not smell hot, if that makes any sense.

Get back in the car, ignition on, temp gauge is back to normal. Check Engine light goes off after a few normal driving cycles. Drive for weeks or even months before it happens again. Ignition off, for 30 seconds, it clears and away I go.

Question

So I want to monitor the temperature because on the one occasion I decide to ignore it, the darned thing might just be overheating....lol

Was thinking of a temp sensor, taped, using self amalgamating tape to top hose, then feed the cable into the car, somehow and use a small LED display to show me a constant temperature of the outside of the Top Hose.

Power would be from 12v supply or even a USB if needed.

Does anything exist or do I need to build something?

Thanks in advance.

2. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    if you have an android phone or tablet with blue tooth you could take this route

buy yourself one of these from any one of the hundreds of suppliers on ebay or amazon
    XTRONS Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 Car Auto Scanner Tool Switch OBDII CAN BUS Android | eBay

install an app on your android device called torque lite ( found in the play store ) or torque pro
    Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car) – Android Apps on Google Play

pair the elm327 obd device to your phone / tablet and away you go

for the cost it does quite a lot including real time monitoring of most engine sensors

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,173
    I think i would be having the codes read first. There is obviously a fault with the ECU or a sensor.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,343
    I think I would have the codes read and a check at a reliable barge as well. The overheating and check engine light coming on together is 'normal' I. The sense the check engine light comes on as well as the high coolant temperature light. This is a Link to a US site but indicates the various issues that may be occurring

Know when to stop! Overheated coolant triggers "check engine" light

A make and model of your car might help a little bit but the generic information linked above should apply.

5. Nimiq1

Nimiq1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had the codes read, all it shows is overheating/high coolant temperatures but obviously there is no overheating at all. Putting in a new sensor did not cure the issue so that was not the problem.

I have had the car, a Jaguar 2.5 litre V6 into the Jag Dealer as well as a trusted independent garage and all I get is the same thing, overheating/high coolant temperature.

So, I had to accept that it is just a 'glitch' and which is why I wanted to ask about monitoring the temps at the Top Hose. I am looking for a way to do this, as I am not throwing more money chasing an issue that does not appear to exist.

6. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Probably would not work. As the temperature reading will be the same one causing the gauge to rise and possibly the engine warning light to come on. It will read from the ECU which is probably wrong

7. Hpi_matrix

Hpi_matrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
  8. Nimiq1

Nimiq1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,771
  10. Nimiq1

Nimiq1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes IronGiant, that is much more like it. Thanks, at that price it is certainly worth a try. Cheers.

11. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    but it would show what the fault code is when the engine management light comes on and it would show any abnormal spikes from the temp sensor
    other things that can be looked at such as if the coolant fans kick in at the right temps which could be why the engine management throws an error up at a particular threshold

used this method on my daughters vw polo when her temp sensor started to play up

12. Nimiq1

Nimiq1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So, do error codes change ? I have read the codes, on several occasions, always the same.

It is a Brand New Sensor, I also tried another from a friends X Type, I have same issues, his temps are perfect, therefore in my book ruling out the sensor.

I am 99.9% sure it is NOT overheating at all, I am just looking to verify and monitor water temps in another way, which I will do when the LED thingy arrives from PRC.

13. Nimiq1

Nimiq1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK, try not to laugh too much but this is what I had added to my X-Type i order to verify that is was NOT overheating;

[​IMG]

It is a cheap LED display/Thermometer, as suggested by IronGiant, attached to a sensor at the end of a 1m long tail. I tested it with the standard 1m tail and it appeared pretty accurate. As 1m was not long enough, I spliced in a 3m length of CAT5 cable, using 2 pairs for the job. This had the effect of reducing the displayed temperature, due to the added resistance of the extra cable.

As all I wanted to have was a display that would show if the temperature rose when the temperature gauge goes through the roof, accuracy was NOT a priority at all.

Anyway, taped the sensor to the top hose using self amalgamating tape, followed by 2 layers of normal electrical tape. Ran the cable into the cabin and power was drawn from a USB port that replaced the Cigar Lighter.

While I was experiencing temperature gauge problems but before the gauge spiked, the temperature displayed was 40 - 45 when on a Motorway doing 70mph. Oddly, after carrying out the Thermostat and Coolant swap, it is now 70 - 72 at the same 70 mph. In town, on a run I do every day, it would fluctuate wildly, from 40 - 65, in heavy. Tonight, in the same ridiculous traffic it was 70 - 75.

So, temperatures have risen but the gauge does not move one jot.

I will leave this connected for a few more days just to see what it does but I think that if the old thermostat was never really closing, it might also account for the pretty poor fuel mileage figures I have been getting around town. It is about 160 miles to a full tank of unleaded, but on a Motorway run, I did 2 weeks ago, I got over 300 miles and with fuel to spare.