Question Temperature jump after startup

IceStation

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have a question and can't find an obvious answer. That said I am new to system build / management so could be missing a really basic thing. Grateful for any thoughts.

I have a pc that I bought from Overclockers in early 2011, OC did the build for me as I wouldn't have had a clue where to start. The PC was going great but recently I started to get inquisitive and wanted to learn how it works more and see if I could improve anything. The temps when idle were typically at low 40's, however after becoming inquisitive I made some changes!

A cable from the fan controller on the case had come loose and wasn't working, this is now connected again and fans spinning slower on start up, changing as needed. I also decided to move the HDD cages, down to a single cage and set back nearer to the PSU to let more air through. The bands on the BeQuiet cooler had also perished, BeQuiet sent me more (after nearly 5 years, great service I think).

When I boot up the temps are in the high 20's now, then after about 5 mins they go back up to low 40's. I've tried to find a reason for this but can't see any processes / services starting up or running. Is this normal? I guess low 40's are ok but they seem high compared to others here with similar builds.

Current spec:
Corsair 650D case
Intel i7 2600K (running at stock though 3.4GHz), 8Gb memory
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3 board
Radeon HD6950 GPU
Corsair TX750 PSU
Samsung 840 pro SSD and 1TB HDD
BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced cooler
Windows 7

My next project, after reading Theydon Bois's post with interest is to change the 200mm top fan to 2x120mm (thinking of Akasa Apache Black) and now I have more space changing the front fan to a BitFenix spectre pro 200mm. Hopefully this will help quiet the fans a little and help with cooling further.

Grateful for any thoughts on why the temps increase after a few minutes and also if the new fans selected strike the balance between low noise and low temps (low noise the priority).

Thanks.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Low 40's are pretty normal on air cooling when it is running windows. Intel rate your i7 to be able to run safely at 72 degrees on the internal heat spreader (Tcase), which will generally be lower than what your temperature monitor will be measuring (Tjunction). You could probably be up around 80-90 on the external measurements, although it is not recommended!

On boot up, the CPU is going to be near room temperature, it will quickly heat up and then settle.

Anyway, INTEL have had thermal protection throttling now for donkeys years, so even if you did go up to ridiculous temperatures then your chip would not blow (unlike an AMD back in the day, that go up in smoke).

My next project, after reading Theydon Bois's post with interest is to change the 200mm top fan to 2x120mm (thinking of Akasa Apache Black) and now I have more space changing the front fan to a BitFenix spectre pro 200mm. Hopefully this will help quiet the fans a little and help with cooling further.

The fan controller on the 650D case is a bit rubbish to be honest. Did you get the little pack from Corsair to make it better? It was still a bit crap so I never bothered with it.

I changed my Be Rock for a Thermaltake AIO in the end, to lower temps etc when I went SLI - a quick check shows I am at around 33 degrees as I type this.

I currently have a Bitfenix in the front, with two Noiseblockers on top. As I added a Hard drive caddy to my case, that also has a Noiseblocker inside it. I chose the Gigabyte board as at the time, it was the only black board and find its lack of fan control annoying. Mine however was the revision that does not have a UEFI so that version may be better.

How do you have the fans set up in the bios? On a silent profile?

IceStation

Standard Member
Hi Theydon,

The fan controller on the 650D case is a bit rubbish to be honest. Did you get the little pack from Corsair to make it better? It was still a bit crap so I never bothered with it.

I bought this just as the mod was released and OC'ers fitted to the case before dispatch so cant compare.

I currently have a Bitfenix in the front, with two Noiseblockers on top. As I added a Hard drive caddy to my case, that also has a Noiseblocker inside it. I chose the Gigabyte board as at the time, it was the only black board and find its lack of fan control annoying. Mine however was the revision that does not have a UEFI so that version may be better.

How do you have the fans set up in the bios? On a silent profile?

The fans are set up as normal profile at the min, I changed but didnt notice a great deal of difference. I re-read your post and am now looking at the Bitfenix pro and 3 NB Blacksilent Pro fans (PL1 900RPM). I was thinking 3 exhaust fans at the lower rate should be fine and more equal to the air intake of the Bitfenix 200mm, or should I look at the PL2 with a higher spin rate?

I also need to read your post again as the cable mgt is shocking. Cant be seen from the clear window as all hidden behind but I remember your set up looking very tidy indeed!

thanks.

How are you setting them up? Front Bitfenix in, two top exhaust, one back exhaust?

I got my clips from here - a recommendation from @Razor - dont bother with the really tiny ones unless you have a lot of fan cables as they are the only ones that fit in them. Do you have cable extenders like I do (the white cables) as they are what add the huge bulk to my 'backside' if you have normal cables, you should be able to get it all fitted with ease.

16mm, 25mm, 28mm Self Adhesive Cable Clips, Choice of Black or White, Free P&P

To be honest, I am stil not entirely happy with my setup, and will get round to having a clear up shortly. The Gigabyte fan control from the board is not good enough, so I may grab a fan controller, or to be cheap, use some of the Noctua PWM that I have.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
How's your OC? Does it use offsets or absolute values? If you've disabled the power saving options then the CPU won't throttle back under light load. I believe you can check this with CPU-Z, if it's running full steam all the time then temps will be higher.

IceStation

Standard Member
How are you setting them up? Front Bitfenix in, two top exhaust, one back exhaust?

Yes thats the plan, unless there's a flaw to it but seems in keeping with the original set up and others too.

I got my clips from here - a recommendation from @Razor - dont bother with the really tiny ones unless you have a lot of fan cables as they are the only ones that fit in them. Do you have cable extenders like I do (the white cables) as they are what add the huge bulk to my 'backside' if you have normal cables, you should be able to get it all fitted with ease.

Thanks for the link, I'll get some of them on order. I dont have extenders, just cables straight from PSU. I was going to say that your 'backside' looks a lot cleaner than mine, but that just sounds really weird and wrong! :)

I can see this becomming a bit addictive so will get this set up and then start looking at fan controllers.

Hopefully I'll get good temps on minesweeper after this! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom