Temperamental Wake-on-lan but used to be fine

anticlaus105

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I used to use WOL with Win 7 64 ultimate. It worked flawlessly. It would wake my pc over lan and wan with the first magic packet sent.

I installed Win 7 64bit enterprise. I also forgot the password to my router so had to reset it but I set it back up as before. Currently a packet sniffer shows all magic packets are getting to my Pc fine. However when shutdown or in sleep it can be hit and miss whether it will wake. Usually multiple packets are required to get it to wake. Sometimes it won’t wake at all.

When installing Windows the drivers for the NIC did not allow for wake from shutdown to be selected. I downloaded marvell Yukon drivers which did but then had the above problem. I uninstalled the marvell drivers and let windows find the drivers again. After this I told windows to find updated drivers which the brought back the wake from shutdown function.

ARP on router is set up permanent. BIOS and windows are configured. As I say it works sometimes so all the settings seem to be there.

This problem also occurs over lan or wan.

Anyone have any idea why it is so temperamental? Is it a windows problem e.g. some kind of sleep mode where the nic is turned off even though I have it set not to? It used to work perfectly. I was away on holiday for over 2 weeks and the PC never failed to wake at first attempt even once. Now it’s probably less the 50% chance it will wake and it still needs me to send multiple packets if it does work.

Anyone have any idea about this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom