1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temp inside sky+ box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mouth on Legs, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to measure max/min temp indise my box pre and post 120GBHDD upgrade, using a digital thermomoter. will post the results

any suggestions where to put the sensor probe on the hdd? in the middle?

2. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well, no replies, done it now anyhow.

I think the metal cage around the HDD is designed to aid airflow over the HDD. The hottest spot anywhere in the box (apart from the HDD itself) was where the air exits from this cage.

The temp was usually around 50 deg with a range of 45-55 deg. After turning it on the temp would climb to 55deg over about 3-4 hours before settling back, I assume this is when the cooling fan cut’s in. during this time I recorded continuously and also used live pause to add a 10min delay.

There was no difference at all after fitting the 120mb HDD. A Maxtor maxdiamond 9 7200rpm UIDE 133. Also no problems with spin up time after a “power cut”

Looking generally at computer component specs this seems to be an acceptable air temp for it (manufacturer says max operating temp is 60 deg)

3. a1bert

a1bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    120GB HDD - Which one are you using.......I need to upgrade my HDD and am looking at the Maxtor 120GB....but it spins at 7200rpm.
    I've heard it needs to be 5400rpm!

Cheers

4. a1bert

a1bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm...should have read whole post! :blush:

I guess 7200rpm works fine!

5. airw_lk

airw_lk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mouth on legs i c u have now got a 120gb hdd in youre sky+ box how easy is this to do is it simular to changing a hdd in tivo ie does sky+ also wrk on a linux based program or not pls could u give me any advice u can as i would like 2 put a bigger hdd in my sky+ box thnx in advance

airw_lk:clap:

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    changing a HD in sky+ is a piece of p**s compared to tivo ... with sky+ the OS is ROM based so there is no need to format/install anything on the HD ....

Just take the top off, remove the old hd from its connector, plug in the new and restart, go to the housekeeping option in the installers menu, run it and off you go :)

You'll find the % disk full indiicator won't display accurately, but the bar should be OK ...

remember guys that the airflow in the sky+ is designed using the side vents too so don't have it tight inside a cabinet ... allow 4-6 " each side and it should stay nice and (relatively) cool ...

rgds

Jon

7. airw_lk

airw_lk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jont where is the housekeeping/installers menu in a sky+ box dont seem to have one pls let me know as i'm in the process of fitting a 120gb hdd is there anything else i would need to do ie: more fan if possible

airwlk

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Take a look here for full instructions.

9. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the HDD's I've had in my Sky+, both the original 40GB and the MAXTOR 7200rpm replacement 120GB are so hot with the case closed that I cannot touch them with bare hands.
    The 120 was fitted WITHOUT the upper part of the HDD holder being refitted but it was running way to hot inside with the case closed.

As a result I've had several problems (see other posts / threads by Steve1138) with recording and playback which I know think I confirmed as being due to the (even) higher temp o the 120 GB / 7200 rpm HDD. I have a small 32mm diam fan fitted below the disk and the top cover open by 6" and have since had no more probs and the temp is low enough that I can hold the edges of the HDD (so it must be in the low 50's °C). Am looking for a better, more permanent & quiter cooling fan option.

its currently about 90 - 95% full and clicks smthg rotten while recording.

I have never noticed the original fitted fan operating, it's diametrically opposite to where the HDD is sited. The unit is sat out in the open (not in a cupboard) on top of a VCR.

Steve

10. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone tried using a Peltier heat pump? Slightly more expensive than a fan but totally silent in operation.

The only problem I can see with these is that an external power supply may be required.

Derek

11. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the HDD holder is designed to draw air accross the HDD. The left edge opens (almost) to the outside of the box and the Right edge exits into the box itself. When I was playing around measuring the temp in different parts of the box the hottest part was where the air exits from the HDD holder. Just an Idea but I fully reasembled the box and holder and have had no problems, disk approx 30% full now

Has anybody got any ideas what the %indicator is up to, I assume there is a software bug but it goes up and down in no particular order but is consistent so there must be some logic to it (even if incorrect logic)