telus hd box cis430 bypass initialisation

MarkG87

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i've brought my cis430 hd pvr from canada. it was a rental and connected to the tv cable service i used to have overthere. But now at start up it gets stuck in search for signal, and i was thinking if there is a way to bypass that and use the device just as a hard drive to store movies and other media files. Is there a way to do it? Thanks

What are you connecting this device to? The nature of cable signals is probably somewhat different in the UK fom Canada and the equipment will not pick up anything from our cable system (which you should not be using anyway without payment and the appropriate interface card) or from an aerial. Few PVRs can be used independantly to record from other sources other than the cable,satellite or Freeview signals they are designed for. Most machines have no other inputs other than the cable source and this applies to the Cisco 430.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your reply, i thought i could have connected it to my virginmedia tv service to link the tv in my bedroom, but i found out that is quite of a mission with passing the cable etc.
So i have two question:
1. Can i use this device at last as a simple freeview box with an aerial?
2. Or can i use it as a hard disk storage where i can put movies in or music?
The device is Cisco cis430 hd 320gb.
Thanks

Last edited:
Looking at http://www.homepna.org/products/member_products/docs/Cisco_CIS430_datasheet.pdf I very much doubt it.
The TV input is for ATSC not the DVB-T system that we use in Europe so it wouldn't work with Freeview.
It doesn't appear to have baseband video and audio inputs either.
The network and HPNA side of it isn't compatible with anything in UK.
You might be able to reuse the hard disk elsewhere.

My verdict : doorstop :thumbsdow

Thanks for the answer,as soon as the device is on it starts looking for signal by saying initialisation, and it gets stuck looking for it, do u think there is a way to bypass that so that i can use the menu interface to see if i can watch dvix movies directly from my usb drive plugged in the front of the box?
Thank you very much for your help.

Your device is not likely to find a suitable signal for initialisation. Although Virgin Media use similar boxes you should not be plugging any other equipment than their own into their cable system. It is illegal to do so. In any case it will not work as you have found. I re-inforce what Chris says that you are unlikely to achieve anything from this box.

The hard drive could be removed and utilised elsewhere. Bypassing the initialising proceedures and associated menu would probably involve major modifications to the circuitry and firmware. I can only suggest you contact the manufacturers for their opinion. At the end of the day it is a device for working with a TV cable service. Without it being connected to an appropriate subscribed service any facilities it offers, such as reading USB drives, are simply inoperable.

Last edited:
Well I was thinking abou
t the , firmware too, I guess its up to the company to release it but I haven't seen anything on the web about it. So i reckon i will keep the hard drive and bin the rest.
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom