• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Telphone connection

MARIGOLD52

Standard Member
Hello everyone. I have had a new house phone on order for some time and it has arrived today. It has one of those jack things at the end of the line which should go into a bt wall socket. I only have one of these and it is where my sky is plugged in. I want this new phone to go in the kitchen and the one that is there at the moment is the main phone extension so just plugs in to a 3 pin wall socket. What I need is - does anyone know if I can be a 3 pin plugthat would accept the phone jack on the other side. Like atoothbrush adaptar say but for a phone jack instead. Please help if y0u can.

Phil57

Hello everyone. I have had a new house phone on order for some time and it has arrived today. It has one of those jack things at the end of the line which should go into a bt wall socket. I only have one of these and it is where my sky is plugged in. I want this new phone to go in the kitchen and the one that is there at the moment is the main phone extension so just plugs in to a 3 pin wall socket. What I need is - does anyone know if I can be a 3 pin plugthat would accept the phone jack on the other side. Like atoothbrush adaptar say but for a phone jack instead. Please help if y0u can.

I've re-read this four times and I dont understand what you are asking!

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Right i think i get it you need a phone socket in your kitechen but your current socket is in another room (lounge?) and too far from new phone? But you have handy mains power sockets in the kitchen near where you want the new phone?

I think you need is this Wireless Phone Jacks. Wireless Phone Jack OEM products used them a few tiems and work quite well. You need to lug one in near phone socket and the other in kitchen (where you want the phone point)

Last edited:

MARIGOLD52

Standard Member
ok i'll try to explain better. Got a new phone with a jack on the end of the wire (thats what its called in the literature) . I haven't got a phone socket where I want to put it but I have got a plug socket. Is there an adapter that is a three pin plug? (every day plug you get on kettles etc) on one side and that would accept a jack from the phone on the other? p.s. I am blonde after all. chrissy

IronGiant

You either need a longer wire to plug in next to the BT point your next to your skybox or a device such as Hornydragon suggested. Could you also explain what you mean by "I want this new phone to go in the kitchen and the one that is there at the moment is the main phone extension so just plugs in to a 3 pin wall socket"

Does this mean you already have a phone in the kitchen and if so what make/model is it. What is the make and model of your new phone. Is the phone in the kitchen the only one in the house and if not what are make/model of any other phones.

Dave

Yandros

ok i'll try to explain better. Got a new phone with a jack on the end of the wire (thats what its called in the literature) . I haven't got a phone socket where I want to put it but I have got a plug socket. Is there an adapter that is a three pin plug? (every day plug you get on kettles etc) on one side and that would accept a jack from the phone on the other? p.s. I am blonde after all. chrissy

I don't recall any adapter yet to pass a phone signal over home power wires (it's actually not such a blonde question as it IS possible.

You either need something like hornydragon's suggestion, or an phone extension cable. If it's not too far, that's the traditional route (if it's just the next room or something - you just tack the cable to the skirting board). Hornydragon's wireless thingy looks cool though - if it's not too expensive I'd get one of them :thumbsup:

MARIGOLD52

Standard Member
Hi thanks for replying. I think you are right that the thing Hornydragon suggested will be my best option. I have confused things a bit - the phone that I currently have in my kitchen is an extension to the main phone (which Is upstairs next to my computer) so this extension just plugs in and does not have a jack. The phone socket in the lounge uses the line jack coming from the sky box. Both my phones are Panasonic KX-A141ES. The new phone just looks nice and is called a Princess Phone and is a copy of a 1950's design. (its a girl thing! ) It better work after waiting for it since Feb. chrissy

MARIGOLD52

Standard Member
Thank you for replying. Think it is too far for extension cable. Have looked on internet and those wireless thingies seem to be about £42 ish. Do you think it would be cheaper and/or possible to have a new bt socket fitted in the kitchen ?? chrissy

Grrrrrowler

Would it not be cheaper to buy a cordless phone with 2 handsets for £20?

Simply put the 'master' phone in the room with the phone socket and plug the other into the power socket in the other room?

Or am I being thick? :rotfl:

IronGiant

She's got that already( I think), she's bought a replica corded phone which she wants to put in the Kitchen in place of the 2nd handset in there now.

Dave

MARIGOLD52

Standard Member
Dear Growler, I have already got two phones (one main one extension) . I know that is the simple explanation but I wanted this unusual one in my kitchen cos I like it.

smallclanger

Are you confusing the power lead for the phone with the telephone cable?

The 3 pin kettle plug is for power. Your phone needs to plug into a phone socket so you will need to run an extension from another phone socket in your house to the kitchen.

Hitby

You can buy really long phone extensions from somewhere like maplins. Buy a double adaptor as well then run an extension around the corners of your room (under the edge of the carpet or something) into the kitchen. The double adaptor will allow you to have your sky box plugged in as well as your new phone.

hth
Dan

hornydragon

Distinguished Member

BT charge something like £115 to fit additional sockets (phone and check) it can be done with decent DIY skills but the phone over mains boxes are the easisest way no drills, cables required just a pair of boxes that plug into the wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom