1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telly Licence. Do you need one?????

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Stevie-boy, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevie-boy

Stevie-boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a question for the Law abiding out there. If your plasma does not have a RF input, and as such, is unable to pick up terrestrial tv, (even though you may do), would you need a license!!. As its stands I believe the law states that all tvs that can pick up BBC need one. As your Tv cannot, and as such is really only a monitor, (similar to cctv monitors), do you need one. Anyone out there know as I could save myself over £100 a year.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    If ANY of your equipment can receive a TV signal then you have to buy a licence. (£126/year)
    So even if your plasma panel has not got a RF input, if you have a freeview box or a video recorder then that would be classed as receiving the signals. The only way to get around it is to get rid of your VCR's, set top boxes, PC tuners cards etc.

3. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  4. Stevie-boy

Stevie-boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But could the vans detect a video/freeview box/tv card. As it stands you only receive a card through the post asking for your TV license. They have no authority to enter you house to check. If you can prove in court that your TV was bought without a RF input card, I don`t think they would be anyway they could procescute. You are still innocent until proven guilty. If you can prove that you have no input on your TV for an aerial, I don`t think some 60+ magistrate would have the foggiest if the TV people started going on about tv cards and scart leads, do you. I wonder if MR Lawyer from Tiny complaints could give his view. If push come to shove you could always bring your plasma to court as evidence!!!!!. Tell the magistrate to plug an Aerial in, and if he can, youll gladly pay the fine.!!!!!!!!!!!

5. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think of it as the licence goes with the tuner (even a cable box is a tuner) which by their definition becomes the 'receiver'. That also includes TV tuner cards. When you buy these mail order new, I thought they passed on your post code address. Don't know what they'll do about TV or Ttext on phones or pda's or some creatives using PC wireless though. Some interesting multimedia situations ahead to test definitions that haven't changed much in years.

6. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'But could the vans detect a video/freeview box/tv card'

Like most things now in life, they don't do things the hard way anymore it's too costly for the return on fines. They'll use laws to force retailers to disclose addresses and targetting - say multiple occupation accomodations, and 'conscience' campaigns.

I suspect both Freeview and Sky boxes leak RF like a sieve both from the box and back up any aerial, they'll know what the rf signature is.

There isn't a problem with plasma panels per se, and if you have one permanently setup showing DvD's there's no issue. Hang on a media box with aerial input or set top receiver and you're out of line. Borrow a dvd recording of Corrie from a mate and it starts getting complicated.

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mal600908 - that is incorrect (and believe me I know and I have checked with the TVL).

The TVL literature states that if "you use equipment to recieve or record television programmes" you need a licence. Therefore it does not matter what equipment you have it matters how you use it. It would be up to the TVL to prove you were watching TV so as long as you are not you have nothing to worry about.

Personally I currently have NO equipment that can receive or record TV programmes, but even when I had a normal TV I quite legally had no TV licence (as I dont have TV/sky etc). Yeah the TVL people send you warning letters - if you state there is "no set in use" then they say they will send someone around to confirm, but personally I have never been in when any TVL people have been around, besides I would not let them in anyhow.

to quote from the TVL site:
    "If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one."

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You don't need to let them in. The detector vans can log which channel a tuner is receiving, and the time, and this is admissable evidence in court. They even have portable equipment for use in apartment blocks. There are various ways to detect whether a receiver is in use, and which channel it is receiving.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    we're talking about less than £10 a month here...not worth losing too much sleep over either way is it?

10. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not a particularly useful post - someone asked a legitimate question about how they stood regarding the law and TV licencing. Why should people pay for something they don't use regardless of if its a "significant amount" or not.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    lighten up..he didn't say he didn't use it ...just that he didn't want to pay for it....it's perfectly legitimate to state my own opinion that £9 a month is peanuts.......if you have a problem paying money to big corporations then that's another issue.

12. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    in my opionion if you subsribe to SKY then you are already paying a part of subs to the BBC for the channels on Satellite so why should we have to pay a licence fee aswell, just because something is capable of receiving a signal doesnt mean we have to use it, they dont make tvs without a RF for that very reason so BBC can claim we have the ability, I got fined £45 14 yrs ago they called first thing Sat morning before Post office had opened and I had picked a b/w tv up from my Bro's at around 11pm Friday night, stuck the TV in the corner on the floor, the thing wasn't even plugged in, but they said I had the means of recieving a signal.

Taz

13. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe detector vans could only detect CRT type technologies anyway so plasma and LCD would not be detected.
    Thats why a few years ago they just target the addresses without a licence ,Its cheaper than detector vans.
    I used to work in retail. we used to have to fill in a form for every set we sold and send it off.
    I dont think (maybe wrong)you have to do that anymore because they now are under the assumption that every one will have a TV of some sort.
    The Beeb is good value for all you get ,if you take in to account radio and the bbc websites and the TV channels but it's hardley Free in the freeview sense.

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    TAz, I don't think it works like that though....you are paying sky for an alternate to RF delivery, it's not part of your license bill. Personally I reckon £9 or £10 a month just for Dr Who is worth it :)

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And Codlord, do excuse me here, I don't want to come over wrong. You are the moderator, and you are appearing to be condoning evasion of the license fee. I thought it was part of your remit to remind members that discussion of evading the law is forbidden, like talking about piracy. The law may be an ass, but it's still the law.

16. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No not at all - I would certainly not condone evading the licence fee - if you watch tv (any TV, BBC, sky, freeview or whatever) pay your fee.

What I have said is that is perfectly legal to avoid paying a licence fee if you do not watch TV - regardless of what equipment you posess. If you do not watch any tv then there is no reason to pay and this is perfectly legal.

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    that's pretty obvious if you don''t have a tv or reciever of any kind .....but it wasn't what the OP asked.....

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fair do's then. The licensing enforcers do not hold this view unfortunately. If the stuff is there, they fine you, just like happened to the guy earlier in the thread. You've got to be a fighter to get off that, I reckon they'd take it all the way as a test case.

19. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks to the BBC this country has the best quality TV in the world. I therefore regard the licence fee as a bargain and it saddens me that there are short-sighted, ignorant people around who are unable or unwilling to appreciate this.

20. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All I know is that I have called the TV Licencing people in the past to check my position (when I had a CRT TV capable of recieving TV) and it went something like this:

Me: "I have a TV set but I do not watch TV, I only use it to watch DVD's - do I need a TV licence?"
    TVL: "No"

21. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    It doesnt matter if you watch TV or not so long as the TV has and RF tuner you have to pay the licence fee. Same goes for a video player etc. At my work (University) we have all the tuners deactivated in our classroom TVs and VCRs to avoid paying licence fees.

There is also no such thing as a detector van these days. The vans contain nothing more elaborate then a laptop with a list of addresses that dont own a TV licence. When we were renovating our flat the licence police appeared. As we didn't have any of our belongings, or walls or ceilings, we invited them in for an inspection. I asked the guy why his equipment had detected a signal when we dont have a TV and he just laughed and said its impossible to do it.

22. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So what is the situation where we have a STB (sky/telewest/ntl) and only watch TV through that or DVD/games. Do we need a licence then? Surely we are paying Sky etc a fee, some of which is passed on to each of the listed channels to fund them, if we are paying the licence too we are surley paying twice for the BBC but only once for ITV/MTV etc.....

So why cant we detune our TV's (I live in a high reception area and TV would get a signal with no coax plugged in), remove the coaxial lead and arial from the loft and not pay the licence fee?

Steve

23. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    My brother used to be a TV engineer, this is what he told me.

If your equipment can be modified in ANY WAY to recieve broadcasts you MUST have a license. this DOES unfortunately include plasma tv's as they CAN be modified to watch tv via an ADD-ON freeview box or via a PC TV card, even if you dont own these your plasma is capable of being modified to recieve it.

As for TV Licensing people not being able to come into your property that is false, They ARE legally allowed into your property without the owners consent if they have reasonable suspicion that you are acting illegally, and you could face further prosecution if you fail to comply.

Also dont believe what the people on the TV licensing helpline say, because they told a friend of mine once that she didnt need a tv license when she told them she only had a radio. this is false, you need atleast a black and white TV license to have radio broadcast recieving equipment in your home, this includes mobile phones.

Hope this helps

24. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The fact of the matter is, even if you have equipment capable of receiving/recording a TV signal the TVL must be able to prove that you are indeed doing so. Simply being in possesion of such equipment without a licence isn't an offence in itself. The likely scenario would be that they would initially write to you to ask why you haven't got a licence. They could then turn up unannounced for an inspection but if you deny the equipment is in use they would still have to obtain prove by using detecting equipmet, yes Da Rude they do have them, particularly handheld detectors.

25. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    The first part of your statement is WRONG, you do not have to be using it, just to own such equipment is the offence. they make it this way so it covers all situations, if you are caught with equipment you get fined and using the excuse "i dont watch it tho" doesnt cut it,I repeat, the offence is for having the equipment NOT using it

26. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Try looking at the the TVL website, they're quite specific about the use of such equipment.

27. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Yes they do say "USE" but the fact of the matter is, if you have any equipment that can be modified to watch TV Broadcasts, even if your only tv is in the attic under a ton of boxes, they can and will fine you for it. tho normally they will just look in your living room and thats it, sometimes your bedroom too.

28. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm sorry to keep disagreeing with you but below is a link to a letter which I just dug up on the net to customer who enquired about using TV equipment so that it wouldn't recieve UK broadcasts.

http://www.jifvik.org/tv/samletter2.jpg

29. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    LOL Yea I was just reading here too
    http://www.jifvik.org/tv/

Its about as clear as mud, seems like alot changed mid last year and im not that upto date anymore, I was quoting old legislation. oh well id rather not risk it as I know how it used to be. kinda odd that they changed it, it used to be cut and shut, now you can wangle your way out of it.

oh well soz for that

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    I totally agree. If I ever have the misfortune to come across a criminal who is evading the TV licence I shall take great pleasure in informing the relevant authorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.