1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell you who the real victors were down under

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, Jul 10, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Not the Lions and not the ABs, but the lions supporters . They were awesome simply awesome and should have come home with the trophy . 25 thousand fans travelled down there all in good cheer win or lose always in good cheer. They made me feel proud and humble because they knew what it was all about : not winning or losing , but being there and taking part and mingling with the opposition and singing their hearts out. Did you hear at the end when the cause hads been lost? Cheering "Lions lions lions" These are the reasons I shall always be more of a rugby fan than a footy fan. Just the ethics pure and simple.You dont hate your opponent, you dont jeer their anthem, you dont pile abuse on them.You do enjoy a drink with them before and aftyer the event and you do wish them well.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Yes it sounds as though they had a great time, I'd love to be able to have the time off to go on one of those tours, even though I don't like rugby, it would be an excellent way to spend a few weeks :beer:

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    So would I and if can afford to I will. I must admit this thread was partly in respopnse to some of the triumphalist nonsense I've seen spouted by Kiwis but then as my father once said " son let them gloat for they have little else" so I need to be magnanimous and accept they were the better side.Then again the world cup is coming up and England will be strong again and we will deal a severe blow to those antipodean upstarts :devil:

4. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woodwards halo has fallen!

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    With a great big thud! mind you hte advatngaes were all with NZ :
    Home soil,
    playing against a team cobbled together from 4 different unions,
    all 3 of their coaches coached in the NH therefore had an good knowledge of all our players.

Read this interesting piece from Stephen Jones:

"Yet perhaps the most vital matter in hand is to not make it all even
    worse. There will be siren calls for rugby in the home unions to become a
    clone of New Zealand rugby - the same helter-skelter stuff, the same harping
    on about attack. This is the time to stand firm and to count the blessings
    of rugby in Britain and Ireland - the commercial power, the rising
    attendances, the balance between life and sport, the balance between power
    and pace, and the sheer passions of those who love our rugby. Not one New
    Zealand crowd came close to exhibiting anything like the sideline passions
    of, say, a Worcester Warriors crowd in a Premiership match at Sixways. The
    Kiwis sit and jeer the opposition, chew their pies in what is, by European
    standards, relative silence. "

and

And to become obsessed would also be to lose focus. For the first time, and
    despite my own lifetime affection for the game, I've never come so close to
    finding the sport oppressive as in the past six weeks, albeit in a warmly
    hospitable country. The All Blacks are the new political correctness, and
    nobody is allowed not to harp on endlessly. Your granny keeps a wool shop?
    She'd better have a sign up saying Go Blacks! Last week, New Zealand aired
    their bid to host the 2011 World Cup. I found the bid navel-contemplating,
    self-obsessed, smug and downright poor. The integral weaknesses in terms of
    their rugby stadiums (small and possibly dangerous) and lack of hotel beds
    were blithely glossed over. So was the shortfall in finance caused by the
    lack of appeal to European broadcasters.

Yet there was something more than that. At the start of the
    presentation, we were told that the 2011 World Cup must come to New Zealand
    because of the sheer love of the sport in the country - the presentation
    told us that "the spirit of the country is boosted by an All Black victory".
    It also said that "the entire nation mourns an All Black Test-match loss".
    It said that production dips if the All Blacks lose, that the All Blacks
    captain is regarded as holding the highest office in the land and so on.

It is not just that all this tripe came in the week of the
    London bombings and the desperate perspective they afforded. This testimony
    to New Zealand obsession should actually banish the World Cup from coming to
    New Zealand. It should have the effect of making every New Zealander who is
    keen on literature and discourse and natural glories and other sports and
    the whole vast panoply of non-rugby life to realise that their obsession has
    become a wounding nonsense.

Their rugby team, at present, is probably the best in the world.
    It makes people happy. But it does not make people live or die."

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    We had a marvellous time. Just got back yesterday afternoon. Terrible weather, lousy beer and got absolutely thrashed by an infinitely better team.

Yet, still a fantastic trip. Very hard work. :beer: The drinking is relentless. :beer: But it is all so good-humoured out there. Total strangers happily chatting to one another and best mates before the nights over.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of Lions fans who tour. You went into the centre of Christchurch, Wellington and then down onto Prince's and Queen's Wharf in Auckland and you cannot move for red shirts. You arrive at the ground and it was pretty much 50/50 Lions/AB supporters (apart from in Auckland which is a much bigger ground). When they start roaring "Lions, Lions, Lions!" - it is incredible. Tears in your eyes, hairs on the back of the neck, goosebumps, shivers down your spine. Everything.

You'll even see the Lions players wandering around the towns quite happily on their own. I bumped into Jonny Wilkinson (literally) walking down Queen Street in Auckland.

New Zealand was incredibly welcoming (Tana Umaga apart!) and so friendly. A wonderful place to go. I'd highly recommend it. And for anyone interested in rugby, a Lions Tour is a different class. South Africa 2009 anyone? :clap:

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    I must admit I do feel tinge of envy

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i feel more than a tinge....i'm downright jealous!! :)

9. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It was a fantastic trip (nearly as good as Australia!) - apart from the rugby!

It'll be a lot easier to get there in South Africa with the flights being much shorter (and cheaper). I'd recommend doing the trip yourself rather than a package. It's very off-putting to see the figures quoted in the tour companies brochures for a trip to the Lions. You were really looking at £4k+ this time with the main tour companies.

A friend and I did it for £2k less than that this time and we could have saved more by not paying for hospitality at the games to ensure we got the tickets. I won't buy any match tickets for South Africa next time as you can always get hold of tickets there.

We gave away a couple of tickets to the first and last tests from friends who decided not to travel at the last minute. All three towns were awash with spare match tickets that were going pretty much for face value. South Africa should be a lot cheaper to do as there's so many more hotel rooms, flights, trains etc.

Get saving boys and girls. It's an amazing experience!

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Will do, will do

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    I think I need to win the lottery first ;)
    You get a similar feeling when following England to major tournaments (football). For the game against France in Lisbon there were over 50,000 England supporters in the stadium and the behaviour was good as well :)

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    that was a first wasnt it? I though it was the jocks who always behaved themselves :D No flying chairs or bottles?

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Did he go down injured? :devil:

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Not quite a first, but nearly a first ! It was the same in Japan as well, very well behaved and good humour. It helps when the host country welcomes everyone with open arms and treats everyone the same, the Japanese were brilliant (my mate went but I couldn't afford to go sadly) and the Portuguese were amazing. In Portugal we had evening meals in 2 different houses, people just invite you round to their houses for food :) The travelling setup with England football is much better now that the Englandfans membership is in place, but I do fear for the World Cup in Germany as it's so easy for all the nutters to travel there without tickets.
    Sorry to hijack this rugby thread with football :)

15. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No but I nearly did. He's a lot bigger than you think! :D

16. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well said !

I should have gone on this tour, I don´t think the next one to SA will be quite as relaxed, having been to South Africa recently there are safety issues for anyone travelling around that beautifull country.

Shame about the results though, poor Lions squad, and great All Blacks team. Also Woodward lost the plot when he took Alistair Campbell on the tour - a spin too far...

17. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    True. Unless you're Tana Umaga. :mad: Then you don't half cop some stick off the Lions fans!

18. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Not his fault. As chard says, it was Alistair Campbell who had a fit about Umaga's (unfortunate, but not intentionally dangerous) tackle on O'Driscall.

Ran to all the newspapers and tried to get everyone riled up. Hoping to put the All Balcks off their stride, you snivelling toady? Unlucky! :thumbsdow

19. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Even the Kiwi's over there thought he has lucky to get away with it! And just what were Mealamu's fingers doing in Danny Grewcock's mouth in the first place?

True. The whole Lions PR was a disaster and embarassing for the fans out there. Why not just say we were beaten by a better team? It's very simple and would have made a lot more friends. There were no excuses. Losing O'Driscoll and Dallaglio and others would have made no difference to the results. We'd have lost by less that's all.

20. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Trying to shut him up? :D Seriiously, I don't know. IMO it was actually a very clean Test series, with only a couple of handbags in the front row in the first test. O'Driscalls injury was unfortunate, but the Lions brought that onto themselves. If Sir Woodwally hadn't shot his mouth off about the All bLacks "not being good at cleaning out the rucks", Umaga and Kev wouldn't have tried to prove him wrong in the first minute! ;) :lesson:

Woodwally was pathetic tactically and absolute disgrace when interviewed! :mad:

21. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    All Black Captain Tana Umaga has redeemed himself from a week of controversy by phoning crocked Lions rugby captain Brian O'Driscoll to apologise for the 'spear tackle' that ended his tour, and revealed to O'Driscoll he would have called sooner but his mobile was 'out of credit'.

Umaga said he was 'real sorry' about O'Driscoll's injury, but reminded his opposite that rugby was a contact sport and that accidents happen, and if he didn't like it he shouldn't go trying to get the ball when the All Blacks want it.

O'Driscoll expressed his forgiveness to Umaga, explaining he thought the game was supposed to be played under touch rugby rules. *He said it was 'swell' of Umaga to call.

The apology has started a flood of similar calls between former rugby foes. Rua Tipoki of NZ Maori has revealed his relief at receiving a call from Lion Gordon D'Arcy to apologise for the late spear tackle he executed on the centre during the Lions match against NZ Maori earlier in the month.

A tearful Tipoki said "Bro, it's about bl00dy time, eh. *I've been sat by the phone for weeks waiting for that neho to call. *He could have bloody killed me, the barstard!".

Maori coach Matt Te Pou said he had intended to take a tape of the D'Arcy incident to the press after the Lions v Maori match to protest at the incident, but chose not to "cos only a real f*ckin whinging loser would do that sort of **** eh".

Wayne Shelford has confirmed a call from French Rugby Federation officials, apologising for the impromptu removal of his left testicle by the French forward pack in 1989. *Johan Le Roux and Sean Fitzpatrick were seen today holding hands in an Auckland park, the pair apparently having made up for their differences from 1994 when Le Roux bit Fitzpatrick's left ear.

Le Roux endorsed the new trend of apologising for every single physical act in a game of rugby. *The former Springbok prop said that bottling up all that guilt over the years had made him feel all bad inside and it was good to get it out and reveal his true feelings for Fitzpatrick, who he described as his hero.

Danny Grewcock admitted he "had a bit of ringing round to do". *Richard Loe's phone has been engaged all day.

22. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'd agree. It was nice to see a bit of fisticuffs. Adds a bit of spice to a game! Although, I wouldn't like to see the size of your handbag if you thought the one that Tuitupo threw at Ben Kay was a handbag! :D

He was poor when interviewed and it's no wonder that everyone who isn't English hates him. But then they hated him before and I'm sure he's not bothered.

I thought he cocked up tactically in the first game. I couldn't see much wrong with his selections after that. I thought that the players let him and the coaching team down too as there were some appaling individual lapses of concentration and errors which you can't blame the coaches for. We just weren't good enough. It's that simple.

Having said that, I also think that the AB's would have thrashed any team in the world with the way they played in Wellington. That was breathtaking and a joy :)suicide: ) to watch. Much as it pained me. I couldn't help but applaud the AB's skill. That pass that Mauger threw between his legs whilst being dumped on his back was just unbelievable. They are a very good side indeed. But I can't help feeling that we've been here before. What's the point of playing your best rugby two years before the World Cup!

23. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :clap:

Corne' Krige and Martin Johnson are also topping up their mobiles in preparation for a lot of calls they will be making tonight. :D

24. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Martin Johnson? Never. The man's a saint!

25. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    How to get into the Lions Test Team!

Attached Files: