1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me to do it

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, Aug 4, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Sony 940 which I am happy with. I am planning to upgrade to a top line system (Tag, Arcam, Lexicon etc. ) in about 12 months time by which time they will hopefully have sorted out the digital link problems with SACD and DVD-A.

In the meantime I want DPL2 for TV viewing. The problems are 1. This is a temporary solution so I don't want to spend a lot of cash and 2. I really want something that sounds at least as good with CD audio as my Sony.

So what do you suggest? It must be silver. I'm looking at about £350 given that I can get a couple hundred for the 940. I like the look of the new Pioneer 811, the Yam 630 or maybe an Onkyo. I could possibly put up with the gold of a Denon or Marantz.

Suggestions pleez. I'm currently swaying toward the Pioneer at about £310 from QED. Or, should I forget DPL2 and stick with my 940?

S

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stick with the Sony I rekon and save the money. Don't think you will get a "couple of hundred" for the 940 ... that said if you sell on Ebay - maybe you actually do. ;)

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, put it this way. I got £230 on Ebay for my year old Sony 735 DVD which was more than enough to get a brand spanking version with SACD to boot. I'm watching a Sony amp on there now thats making loads of money. Mental.

Is DPL2 not worth the bother then? I do like the look of the new Pioneers coming out.

S

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isntt the question "Is DPL2 worth £150 for one year?". In fact it will be more as in a years time whatever you buy will have depreciated

And the answer depends on what you listen to. If you listen mainly to 5.1 DVDs then the answer is no or films with Sky+.

If on the other hand you watch a lot of VCRs/Films on TV/Music then the answer is yes, its quantifiably (rather than subjectively) better than pro logic 1.

But IMHO not worth £150 for a year. Plus if you leave it you will get a bigger leap and be more impressed with yoiur new system.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have Sky+ but I do watch DVD's in 5.1. Mainly, I want it for watching Sky and the odd Vid. We do watch quite a lot of Box Office movies and there are some great ones on Sci-Fi.

I'm thinking now of the Denon 1802 which Unbeatable have for £340. I think this may be a step up from my 940 anyway so I'm going to demo one in seven oaks. The main thing I don't want to lose is music playback quality which I feel my 940 does reasonably well.

I think I'll stick the 940 on Ebay with a £250 reserve and see what happens. You must also remember that my Sony is out of warranty and I'll be getting another 12 months by upgrading. I wish I had upgraded my TV sooner as it's just cost me £140 to fix!

S

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Consider the Marantz 4200 and 5200 as well as denon. They should be going for a song soon as there will be a new crop out.

I bought mine because of its musical abilities.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Off to demo 1802, 5200 and Yam 630 today.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'm just reading up on the 5200 and must say it looks good value. Not too worried about movie performance and I'm sure it's adequate. I must have good stereo performance and I note the Yam 630 appears to have no analogue direct mode for stereo. Hmmm.

S

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No it doesnt but its still very good.

If you like bass rather than control then the Yamaha sounds better at the cost of detail (IMO - the usual get out clause!!!).

I prefer control and clarity so the Marantz bagged it.

It was very close so Im sure its down to personnal tastes

11. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I noticed the 1802 for £249.95 in Richersounds.

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, demo'd 1802, 2802, 5200, 6200 and Yam 630. The Yam was first out on pure stereo performance although it was impressive and dynamic for DTS. The Marantz both sounded great and I coudn't choose between them so the 5300 was the preffered option. The 1802 could not touch them for stereo reproduction but again, was great for DD/DTS. The 2802 was better for music but I felt, still not as easy on the ears and also more pricey.

So, the 5200 is the easy winner of my affections. May wait until the 5300 is nearer so I can get a cheap one somewhere.

S