Tell me the bad new - Loewe TV has blown up

azzo

Established Member
Reaction score
Not exactly blown, but my 5 yr old Loewe Planus has suddenly lost its image and in its place are two rather shaky white glows on the top left and right of the display. (The sould is OK, but obviously no on screen display etc) Is it the tube and is it worth replacing?
Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Azzo.

take it to a tv workshop for a free quote the tube should be ok
what if you press text is it still no picture?

Yep text doesn't do anything either.
Problem with taking it to a workshop is that the TV is a bit of a monster (Like all large screens) and I just wanted to know if it's even worth taking it there.
Knd Rgds
Azzo.

is the hole screen lit black?(check in a dark room)
if not tube still sould be ok
if the screen is blank but glowing black this is good as the tube is working but has no signal to the frame chip looking like i.f can and/or e-prom/main micro i.c your may find a tv shop who will pick up your tv for free + give you a free quote( well thats what our shop dose in devon) £80-£200 max ! hope this helps:)

Thanks for the advice, I guess the whole tube is 'lit' as you say, I am presuming if it was the tube then there would be nothing or if there was a problem with one of the guns then I would get some sort of distored image. All I get is what look likes two torches shining on the left and right top corners of the screen. I will check out my local dealers this weekend.
Many thanx.
Azzo.

:mad:
OK, now I am mad, got a quote for repairs and it turns out to be the tube. 400 notes to repair.
Loewe said they will help with a small amount for the price of the parts, but I am not impressed.
I thought these TVs were suppose to be THE best.
I was at least expecting 10 years worth of average viewing.
Just goes to show that you don't always get what you pay for. Don't think I will be recommended these TVs again.
Anyway, rant and rave over with.
Azzo.

azzo said:
:mad:
OK, now I am mad, got a quote for repairs and it turns out to be the tube. 400 notes to repair.
WAIT!
I DON'T THINK THAY ARE TELLING THE TRUTH :thumbsdow
IF IT WAS THE TUBE IT WOULD COST THEM £350+ [£500-£700 TOTAL REPAIR FOR YOU] :eek:
SO IF I WAS YOU I WOULD TAKE TO SOMEONE ELSE
WHAT YOU COULD DO IS MAKE A SMALL SCRATCH THE BACK OF TUBE WHERE YOU WOULDNOT SEE IT THEN TAKE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE! ;)
SO IF YOU PAY £400 AND STILL GET YOUR OLD TUBE BACK :rolleyes: THEN YOUR ON THE CASE AND COULD SUE THEM! :censored: :devil: :censored:

Mmm I have thought of the same thing. (They actually have the TV in the work shop at the mo)
The actual cost was something like
30 Carriage
57 Labour
27 some other electrical component
225 Tube
All excluding VAT. I thought the labour charge would be way more than that.
I contacted LLoewe and they said they could provide the tube at 75 less than the quoted price. So I guess it could be True. The shop also said they could source the tube from Philips for 125 + vat.
I'm not sure who to believe. The problem I have was that the tube was perfect one day and gone the next. It is also a 28" curved screen so it could be a cheap item?
Any more advice would be appreciated.
Azzo

if you had a philips tube from the start then this could be true as i've seen more of these go duff than any other make
but if you do get the tube replace get them to give you the old tube
and all parts from your tv :rolleyes:

then see if the tube thay give you back is the same one as the new one in your tv
if thay can't give you the old one then don't have it fixed by them :nono: !!!

Thanks for the advice, I will mull over it this weekend.
I was hoping for another years use before I upgraded to a plasma or lcd.
Knd Rgds.
Azzo.

Thanks for the link, Loewe customer services are really bad, the guy at the other end really wound me up when he said that he had a 'fault with his car and he didn't expect the manufacturers to pay for it'
I tried explaining that I exepcted the TV to last at least 8 years and he said that some TVs break down in 3 months and some 10 years. He kept saying that they were the distributer and there was nothing they could do.
I will be writing trying to find the address in Germany and writing to them directly.
WLYK how I get on.
Knd Rgds
Azzo.

Azzo. Who did you buy it off. They are probably the first people to start making a stink with, especially if they have a good reputation. Tell them under the Sale of Goods Act, the TV should last for a "reasonable time". A reasonable time for TV's is stated by the manufacturers to be 8 to 10 years. You know your statutory rights and would like a full refund but you may consider having the TV repaired free of charge. Tell them you cannot afford to have the TV repaired and you have no alternative but to take them to a small claims court. A five year old TV should not need a new tube, particularly if its been kept in the guest bedroom and hardly ever used....Keep negotiating, asking to speak to someone senior, get the name of the MD, write and visit the shop until you are happy with the outcome or decide it isn't worth any more aggro. If I had a five year old TV with the tube gone I would certainly kick up a fuss. That said, the repair bill doesnt seem too bad.

If the chap at Lowe bought a new car and the engine exploded outside the warranty period I am sure he would expect the manufacturer to pay for it.

I read somewhere that an old lady took a washing machine manufacturer to court and the judge considered eight years a reasonable time to expect it to work.

Good luck anyway.

Digiman, thanks again for your advice, I did buy it from a reputable shop, so I will be calling on them shortly (They also may have better luck with Loewe.)
The problem is that I am terrible at complaining on the phone. I will also be writing to someone senior in Loewe Germany when I can find out wwho.
Thanx.

Hey,

Does anyone know where I can get a flyback transformer (27625048) for a Loewe Planus 4572z? I live in Adelaide and can't find a part here. International shipping is ok. Does anyone know what they are worth?

Thanks

Dan405 - CPC sell a vary large range of LOPTs, go to their website and check it out www.CPC.co.uk.

azzo - I sympathise with your situation, I repair tvs day in/day out. If you've had 5 years out of your tv then you haven't done too bad. It could have lasted longer (my previous Ferguson lasted 15yrs and was still going strong when we replaced it) or it could have broken after just a couple of years - its a bit of a Lottery. After 5 yrs I think a manufacturer might take the line that you've had good use out of it and it's not unreasonable to expect you to pay for the cost of repairs (I see they have offered to supply the parts to you at a reduced cost ?) so to some extent they are offering you some good will. The costs you have been quoted for the crt for example, £125 +vat is a very good one and there is not much labour in changing a crt hence why the labour cost seems reasonable.(and yes I'm afraid crts can be fine one day and duff the next). If you are still unhappy and want to continue down the 'complain' route then the only advice I can give you is to be firm but POLITE. 5 years is a bit short for a domestic tv so I think you have a good case - I wouldn't personally start quoting this regulation or that consumer law in the first instance, - all the main manufactures know exactly what your rights are - remember, be firm but polite. Good luck, regards, yt.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom