1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me honestly

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paiger, Jun 13, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm setting up a 5.1 system in my (big new) office which is basically the loft of my house. I should be completing the deal on a Marantz 5200 reciever shortly and will be using a spare PC as jukebox and DVD/ Games machine.

Now, speakers. When I got my main set downstairs I had a Ruark/ B+W sized budget and ended up with Ruark Reference series, which I love to bits. I didn't demo anything cheaper. Now I want to buy a 5.1 package for around £500 but wonder how it will compare.

I did have a set of Kef Cresta 1's as rears for a bit and can only say that they were appalling compared to Ruark Epilogues, albiet a quarter of the price.

So, if I buy, say the Mission 74 pack (M74,M7C1i, M7DS) will I be equally dissapointed? They look nice but are they worth demoing? Should I look for some better spealers secondhand?

It's just so easy to go and order such a package and wait for it to turn up. I really don't want to go around demoing lots of £500 speaker packages although I will demo anything that anyone thinks can match my Ruarks for £500.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Honestly? Is a Marantz 5200 and any £500 speaker package going to fill a large loft? I think you might need to spend that on a sub alone. Basically mate, you are always likely to be less than delighted moving further down the output/quality stakes from the Ruarks (you don't mention what amp you use downstairs?). If you are only using the loft for games and not critical DVD listening, you maight be ok.

Me? I'd try a powerful sub and then some good second-hand bookshelf models for the rest.

A test for you: perhaps move your Ruark kit (nightmare, I know!) upstairs to see how easily it fills the space and then you know what you are up against?

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could go for a high quality sub/sat system, rather than a all in one system.

Something like the Ruark Vita's. Although not as good as the reference line (duh!) will be better than Sony DAV system.

You can get away with cheaper gear for a AV system.

Only you can decide whether or not the Diva's are satisfactory compared to your reference line.

I couldn't use a cheap system- I'm too used to my reference speakers too.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If you like Ruark then Stone audio are doing the Vita 50 system discounted to £500.

I've only had a very quick listen to them in the past but they sounded pretty good. Might be worth asking them if they will work in your room.

Other than that I'd agree with Nobber, spend more money new or go secondhand.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I think I'll go second-hand. It's just tempting to order up a package all in one go and nice shiny boxes.

Most it will be 2 channel stereo listening with the odd movie or game chucked in. As for amplification, the 5200 may struggle but with the amount of space I will have, I'll pick up a cheap Rotel 5 channel at some point.

As for a sub, I'd rather have some good floorstanders. I'll leave the boombastics to the living room. A good Floorstander will do fine.

I think I'll sniff around for some good mains first and then see if I can find the rest to match.

I'm not really that fussed about this being as good as my (now incomplete) system downstairs but I don't want the feeling that I have bought cheap gear and I'm missing out.