Tell me about Zoe/Leaf

Some dealers are doing good offers already!!

£249 deposit, £249/month for 3 years, and free home charger - This is a buy-buy price so no extra battery rental on top. That's on the new 30kWh car, so your see 110-120 miles real life range summer and 80-90 miles in winter.

For Sale - Nissan LEAF 30kWh PCP Offer with free PodPoint install

Looks good, I'll see what my local branch can offer me.

Had an interesting email from UK PowerNetworks today, I had assumed that using my neighbours supply 'officially' was a big no no, but it seems not...

" If you wanted to run off your neighbours' supply, that connection will need to be carried out privately by a qualified electrician."

I've asked for clarification on how this would be setup so I can be properly billed for using it, but this might be the answer as I'd probably have the work done to make it 'official' either way.

^^ What's the issue with your powe supply? I was under the impression a home 7KW 32amp charger draws no more power than an electric oven or a tumble dryer.

It took one man in a van about 1hr to fit our home charger. But we do live in a new build so clearly the electrics age bang up to date. The car charge point has its own meter, so you can see exactly how much electricity your using to charge the car.

^^ What's the issue with your powe supply? I was under the impression a home 7KW 32amp charger draws no more power than an electric oven or a tumble dryer.

It took one man in a van about 1hr to fit our home charger. But we do live in a new build so clearly the electrics age bang up to date. The car charge point has its own meter, so you can see exactly how much electricity your using to charge the car.
...As for my situation at home, its kind of...odd.

I bought the house 2 years ago, my garage is not directly attached to my house, instead it's attached to next door's garage, so between my house and my garage is next doors house and their garage.

Apparently my next door neighbour and previous owner of my house came to an agreement and put electric into my garage, but fed from the neighbours supply (they already had electric in theirs) with an energy meter which the previous owner used to work out how much he owes my neighbour (told you it was odd).

Anyway, it all amounts to a few quid a year as the only thing he was using electric for was the motorised garage door he had put on.

At the time I had no issue with this, and agreed to carry on this arrangement, but I wonder how this would impact my getting an electric car. I guess I would need to agree with the neighbour first.

I have contacted Chargematser to see if they would be able to run electric across his property to my garage (with his permission) but the email I got back simply said to call them, which I'm yet to do. I might at some point try and find out why my garage never had electric in the first place and if anything can be done 'officially'...

Paul.

Just an update on my conversation with UK Power Networks...

"Thank you for contacting UK Power Networks. You can a run sub-main cable from your neighbours existing supply provided your agree with him. You may be able to get a separate meter for this but you will need to confirm this with the supplier. As I mentioned this is private work carried out by an electrician, perhaps you are better off consulting one on the best way forward."

So it sounds like they don't actually have any problem with this, I might talk to an electrician and get their opinion.

I'm still confused about the legal situation with all this though.

Could you have the charger on the side of your house? Ours is on the outside of the garage, as I can’t be bothered with putting the car inside every night.

@paul cliff -
You can ring an electrician to confirm but I don't think they'll be able to help you with supply side work.

Unless your neighbours supply enters his property at the garage i.e. that's where his meter is then you're going to need to run a hefty cable from his meter cupboard to your garage which is probably more trouble that it's worth when you consider your garage is connected to the road which is where the supply is (probably) routed. Surely the same rules apply to running a cable from his meter to your garage as would running a cable from yours across his land i.e. he might be OK with it but a new owner could ask you to remove it all?

When we had our work done I contacted my electricity supplier who opened a case with EDF who contacted me for the survey and did the works (along with a road contractor to dig the holes and another to put out the traffic lights!).
My electrician was not allowed to touch anything on the supply side of the meter and I was forbidden by the EDF contractors from even digging the trench obetween my front wall and the pavement as this is technically highway and only licenced contractors are allowed to do work there.

Are your meter cupboards internal or external - might make it easier to work out where the supplies are and what you might be looking at in groundworks.

His electric meter is on the side of his house, next to his garage, mines by my front door (outside).

UK power networks have told me that I have to fill out an application form for installing a new supply to the garage, but looking online the info seems to suggest this can cost several thousands (up to 10k!)

I think the simplest option will be to see how my neighbour feels about me buying an electric car and just using the current setup, the only impact to him would be a few extra quid a month bill (and payment from me).

But long term, if we sell or he sells, it might cause a problem.

His electric meter is on the side of his house, next to his garage, mines by my front door (outside).

UK power networks have told me that I have to fill out an application form for installing a new supply to the garage, but looking online the info seems to suggest this can cost several thousands (up to 10k!)

I think the simplest option will be to see how my neighbour feels about me buying an electric car and just using the current setup, the only impact to him would be a few extra quid a month bill (and payment from me).

But long term, if we sell or he sells, it might cause a problem.

I suppose it depends on how long you want to stay at that house for. For me EVs are 100% the future, I cannot see my self living in a house without access to a dedicated EV charging port. If your planning on living there for a while might as well poney up the money and get it sorted one thing for all.....Trust me, once you've owned an EV you wouldn't want to be going back to a combustion car :).

I suppose it depends on how long you want to stay at that house for. For me EVs are 100% the future, I cannot see my self living in a house without access to a dedicated EV charging port. If your planning on living there for a while might as well poney up the money and get it sorted one thing for all.....Trust me, once you've owned an EV you wouldn't want to be going back to a combustion car :).

It's not me that needs convincing it's worth doing :laugh:

As long as my neighbour is OK with it, then I know I can get one, I'll work on convincing the mrs at a later date to get the electrics done

Yup, the work was expensive but I had no choice so I went ahead. If the supply runs right past your garage and you can do the digging on your property it should be hundreds not thousands but it will cost.

If you're going to use your neighbours supply make sure you get an extended test drive and do a full charge at home. The last thing you want is to sign up to a long lease agreement and the first time you plug in you trip his lights out because the socket hasn't been wired up to deal with the load. I can only imagine the hassles of an insurance claim if there was a fire caused by your EV charging and his supply being faulty ... :eek:

Yup, the work was expensive but I had no choice so I went ahead. If the supply runs right past your garage and you can do the digging on your property it should be hundreds not thousands but it will cost.

If you're going to use your neighbours supply make sure you get an extended test drive and do a full charge at home. The last thing you want is to sign up to a long lease agreement and the first time you plug in you trip his lights out because the socket hasn't been wired up to deal with the load. I can only imagine the hassles of an insurance claim if there was a fire caused by your EV charging and his supply being faulty ... :eek:

Yeah :confused:

I do know an electrician that I would probably get to come and have a look first.

I'm not sure if it was installed by an electrician to begin with or if it was a DIY job...I have found evidence of some rather interesting DIY jobs from the previous owner.

In other news, apparently work have installed a charging point at one of our other premises for someone, so that sounds positive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom