Telewests new PVR

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by gerbilly, May 10, 2005.

1. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Posted on another website from someone who contacted Telewest. Makes very interesting reading. Like a souped up cross between Sky+ and TIVO.

I mailed Telewest and asked for information on their own 'Sky+'..............below seems to be a standard response letter, which was I stress answered very very quickly!

Thank you for your e-mail dated 9 May 2005.

I refer to your enquiry regarding services similar to Sky+.

Our Personal Video Recorder (PVR) is scheduled for release in the third quarter of 2005.

Similar to Sky+, this is a Hard Disc Recorder and shares many of the same characteristics, such as the ability to timeshift ?live?
    programming with DVD functionality. However, our PVR has been specifically developed to address some of the shortcomings of existing similar systems and has many improvements.

Firstly, the PVR will record up to around 80 hours of programming, and will record three channels simultaneously, or two with a third being watched. These figures represent significant advancement in this field.

Due to our fibre-optic technology we can also other several features that other providers cannot. For example, programming PVR recording will be quick and easy using the existing electronic programming guide, which will be extended to 8 days to coincide with PVR release. You will be able to set the PVR to automatically record all episodes of a certain series, or even all programming starring a certain actor, or by your favourite actor. This will operate within a set time period or on an open-ended basis.

You will also be able to transfer stored programming to hard copy, via connection to your existing VCR or recordable DVD. This will occur in real time to preserve recording quality, but thanks to two Digital decoders, you will be able to continue to operate your PVR normally whilst transfer takes place.

The PVR will also facilitate delivery of Dolby Digital sound and, shortly in the future, High Definition TV (currently unavailable in the UK).

The cost of PVR is, as yet, unconfirmed. However, we will release further details to all our customers when these become available.

If you have further queries regarding this matter or any other issue, please use the link provided below:

www.telewest.co.uk/forms/servicefeedback

Please note if you reply directly to this e-mail your response will not be received.

Yours sincerely

Ian Moore
    E-Contact Team
    Telewest Broadband

Will at least be something to hit sky over the head with to get a better deal. :devil:

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hmm....as much as I llike the sound of this (I can't get Sky+) it just sounds too good to be true. With NTL currently taking over Telewest, I wouldn't be surprised if their appalling customer service and outdated technology would also take over and this PVR idea scrapped. I have been thinking to move house only to be able to get Sky+ but that would be a bit sad...

3. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh no!!

Surley the trouble that NTL have been in over the past few years it should be Telewest taking over NTL. If NTL do take over then Ill be away like a flash. The NTL service is pish poor compared to Telewest, menu's etc are slow, customer service is rubbish...... so so dire.

Steve

4. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry we are not being taken over by NTL the products and services should remain the same if we do go for the merger. To be honest we haven't heard much about it for a while now but I'm always keeping an eye on the internal messageboards :)

5. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, the reason it hasn't happened yet is exactly that one. They couldn't agree on who owns whom, the relative valuation and who will run the company. Unfortunately, NTL is bigger than Telewest and even though they only mention the term "merger" it would clearly be a takeover of Telewest by NTL.

Here one of the many reports: http://www.brandrepublic.com/bullet...west-merger-back-cable-firms-head-55bn-tieup/

I fully agree that it should be the other way around and if NTL management will be in charge I will move house only :( so I can finally get Sky+

Sarah: Do you have any news regarding the PVR? Q3 is not too far away, so the project should be fully up an running by now. Or will it be Q4....?