Telewest Tvdrive

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Windtalker, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Windtalker

Windtalker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    :thumbsdow

2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Windtalker have you any further information about this product. I have been waiting for this for years. Is it noisy? What are the startup times like from standby. Do you have any pricing information (per month/cost of box etc)
    It's hdtv ready so does it have HDMI or component. Is there any HD material being broadcast?
    Many thanks
    azzo

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This sounds excellent. Ethernet port... Hmmm... I wonder if you will be able to stream any of the stuff off the HD. Can't wait, so longer as the pricing is good.
    azzo

4. stevengray2005

stevengray2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am so excited now I really want this!! Do you know roughly when it will be released? Will it be before the end of the year?

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can we have some more info on the user front end. Is it easy to pick a programme to record? Can you select to record a whole series? If you've used a TiVo, how does it compare? Can you sort the list of recorded programmes? Can you add padding to the start and end of recordings. Does padding prevent a subsequent programme from recording? I've got a million questions but what I really want to know is whether it's better than my TiVo software wise. I already know that the hardware is much better.

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    Very interesting - thanks for making some pictures available.
    Any idea who actually made /designed it for them ?

(Pace, Samsung, Scientific Atlanta etc.)

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

7. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think I read somewhere that Scientific Atlanta is making them.
    azzo

8. bob123

bob123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Windtalker thank you for the information on the tvdrive. Do you think that it will be relesed to customers for chirstmas.

9. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Windtalker
    :thumbsup: Great info :smashin:

With regards to photos ,any possibility of taking pictures of the rear and posting them so we all could have a look at the connections available.

Del :smoke:

10. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thank you very much for answering my questions, Windtalker. I'm starting to get excited about this box.

I'd also like to know if you can see a list of all upcoming episodes in a series and see which ones are being recorded. Hopefully with multiple tuners there should be very few clashes, but it would be useful to be able to check that there aren't going to be any episodes missed. Mind you, the EPG isn't as long as TiVo's so this feature probably wouldn't be as useful.

It's probably too soon to tell, but do series links stay after the series has finished so that when the series returns it will be picked up atomatically. Can you give series links priority for recording when there are clashes?

Do all recordings stay permanently until you delete them or do they time out like on TiVo so there is room for future episodes on series links? Does it insist on there being enough space available for each recording as you set it. TiVo assumes that by the time future recordings happen, you'll have watched and deleted some of the programmes already recorded. On TiVo recordings are kept for a default number of days and then automatically deleted when space is needed for more recordings, but there is an option to keep recordings until they are deleted.

11. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I've been waiting for something like this too, but became frustrated with the delays and signed up to Sky+. However it's not yet installed, so I may just cancel and wait a bit longer ... I guess the 2 most important questions are, when & how much?

12. malah

malah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you watch 2 different channels in 2 rooms at the same time

13. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Windtalker

OK, you've removed (edited) the contents of your initial post.

I'm curious; what happened?

Del :smoke:

14. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    windtalker why did you delete your initial post :mad:

15. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Windtalker???

16. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I guess the Telewest authorities wont allow pre-release photos published on a public site.

I am guessing the TVdrive will be a great product , but will fall far short of the flexibility of TiVo due to:
    a) metatdata and 4 week EPG that TiVo uniquely has
    b) TiVo is basically a Linux box and has 7 years worth of great hacks and additions by 10,000+ Linux TiVo users/hackers

But if you want a simple one box solution the TVdrive appears great on paper.

17. Ian_

Ian_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Telewest PVR is based on the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDMR but with a unique, custom facia.

The only known facts about the new TW PVR are as follows:

* 160gig hard drive
    * HDTV Compatible
    * Multiroom Capable
    * Three Tuners & Two Decoders

Anything else is purely speculation! Telewest have named this device "TVDrive" but this is unconfirmed as yet.

http://www.telewestinfo.co.uk/TWPVR.shtml

PS There is a free VOD service, Teleport

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/television/teleport/whatis.htm

18. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  19. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Interesting...

Lets see how things develop in the new year

20. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    This seems very interesting, no charge for the box as far as I can tell (Obviously they take it back if you diconnect). But this combined with the Teleport service and the 10mb broadband they are offering make this very tempting.
    Telewest forums are down so I will wait to see some reports of performance and see what connectivity it has (It mentions HDMI on the site)
    Now if Sky could come up with a Good HiDef/PVR Package as reports suggests there will be costly!

21. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it only me or does this Box sound fantastic?

I can't wait and especially since TW is thinking of having HDTV available too.

Tommy

22. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Tommy,

do youhave the new TVdrive STB then?

If so, what connections doe sit have on the back apart from HDMI?

Does it have compnment?

Adrian

23. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a marketing call from Telewest, the chap said they were currently piloting a HD service in 100 homes, with a view to a launch date in February.

I enquired about cost, and he said not definite yet, but looking at free box supply (although you would not own it), £50 installation and £10 on top of premium rate services PM.

I was a bit sceptical, but he did have some quite detailed information on box, in that he said it would provide 80hrs at high def recording (he believed sky would only do 40 hrs), and that box has the facility to record 2 channels and view a 3rd.

Anyone else heard similar?

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

According to reports the first boxes are in 400 homes but I suppose what is important is that it is in the field even if only for employees I suspect:)

As with all cable hardware it will be loaned for the duration of the sub with an install fee with the extra sub being £10 or £15 depending upon the service level, of course figures have to be regarded as speculation until the real domestic service is rolled out in a few months.

The TW DVR has a 160gig drive which will give around 80 hours of SD storage, HD will require triple the bitrate (based on a mpeg2 codec) so you are looking at around 25 hours of HD recording. Figures will vary since recording will be a mixture of both HD and SD.
    The latest SKY+ hardware (PVR3) has an average of 40 hours of SD recording, there has no official word of the capacity of the SKY+ HD hard drive but we know SKY and other Dsat broadcasters will use mpeg4 which requires much less HDD capacity.

The TW DVR does have three tuners which is a major advantage over SKY hardware and allows you more flexibility in viewing and recording in fact as I understand it you can watch two channels at the same time via independent video outputs.

No doubt that the TW and upcoming NTL DVR's are serious pieces of kit I just wonder if now cable has caught up and surpassed SKY if content will once again prove it is king.

25. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Sapper...don't have it no....read about it on TW site

Tommy

26. Andy500

Andy500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anyone know if the TV Drive will include component connections? I am looking to buy the Panasonic PE50 but may have to change my mind if I won't be able to hook the TV Drive up through component.

If it does not have component is there likely to be an adaptor that would allow me to connect the PE50 to the TV Drive?

27. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As I understand it the box will have component connections and HDMI as well as RGB. This creates a quandry for me as I only have component in and RGB in on my TV. However my DVD player is currently connected to the component. A component switching box is very expensive so I'm not sure which is the best way to go!

28. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This was released on Wednesday for general use. No install fee (if you keep your existing box - another room) and only £10 monthly fee on top of my fees now.

Just ordered one one these TV Drives. They have given me almost a month from now for an install date.

It has Scart and HDMI I am told and they will link it to my HDTV.
    Forgot to ask if it had output whihc I can then take stuff of disk onto my DVD Recorder :-(

Will let you know what it is like when it turns up...in a month or so !

TommyT

29. NickN

NickN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can transfer anything except protected HDTV content to a DVD recorder, through one of the SCARTs. There is a special function for transferring in this way, which can send the signal while you're watching or recording other content.

Of course, if your DVD recorder has component inputs, then you can just play the content from the TVDrive onto it. Mine doesn't, so I have to use SCART.

30. NickN

NickN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had a TVDrive for about 3 weeks now, so here are some general impressions for people who are thinking of getting one. Bear in mind that I have no other PVR experience, so features I love may be completely obvious for Sky+ or Tivo users.

Connections. It has two SCARTs, component, HDMI, digital audio out, USB, Ethernet, and SATA that I can remember right now. The last three of these have no obvious current function. If you set resolution to high def, then the SCARTs seem to be disabled, except when transferring content to a VCR/DVD recorder. Even having the HDMI lead plugged in seems to disable one of SCARTs.

PVR. There are three tuners, so you can record two programs and watch a third. There's an 8-day EPG, which is very much like the usual Telewest one, but with an extra option to see future days' programmes. Select a programme in the PVR, press the record button, and it records. Easy. Recorded programs are presented in exactly the same format as Teleport content, and watchable in just the same way, with the usual pause, fast forward etc. You can also pause and rewind live TV at any time.

HDTV. I have a Philips 37PF9830, and HDTV is fantastic. not quite as good as the display content in shops, but still great. However there is very little content right now - a couple of BBC series and that's it. High def movies are promised but not there yet. I'm currently not using high def for several reasons: HDTV loses Teletext, which is a pain; there's almost no content; 4x3 channels display on the screen with black bars down the side, and the Philips doesn't allow you to stretch HDMI inputs, so lots of screen space is wasted; and my receiver can do the same upscaling as the TVDrive so there's no picture quality advantage.

Stability. It is pretty buggy: freezes several times per week, sometimes refuses to notice key inputs, sometimes doesn't show the TV guide properly, randomly requires your PIN to watch recorded content. That sort of thing.

Overall I wouldn't be without it now that we have one, mostly for the PVR functionality. It's too early to say how worthwhile HDTV is, and it needs a good few bug fixes. Sadly Telewest seem to have no way to report these bug fixes to get them sorted quickly.