Telewest TVDrive- Any good?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Muratcan, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Muratcan

Muratcan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Seeing as Sky HD has Sky high prices I think Im going to go with Telewests TVDrive service. It offers HD content on demand so it would be ideal. Also the HDD recorder sounds fantastic as well. Plus will I recieve the HDTV Trials? (From BBC & ITV)

Onto my point, who here has tried or has the product? I would love to here your views before I go out and order it.

EDIT: Very sorry, I just noticed the Telewest sub-thread :(:oops:

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Edit, no worries, thread moved :smashin:

3. miltsharman

miltsharman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    its good but idosyncratic- sometimes it dont do what you want and you have to re boot. Unlike others never had a problem with recording stufff... the hard disc is now full!

sometimes when you start up in the evening the menu is frozen and you have to reboot. when it happens its usually because of a software upgrade

4. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    well im glad i got the tv drive...

just brill....... easy to record stuff and watch later.
    ( before i would of had to record it to a dvdr or dvdrw on a separate player/recorder )

record series option is great !

record 2 different programs and watch a 3rd is brill too...

had no probs recording anything...

but last night i had to re boot the box as it froze.....

but if i remember right the old digital box ( that it now upstairs ) used to lock up too.

wot i did was cut my broadband down from 10mb to 4mb.... saving £10pm
    as i dont really download a lot these days..
    that £10pm paid for the tvdrive..

and im glad i did too.

:clap:

5. Muratcan

Muratcan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Damn it. I guess the rebooting deletes recordings right? Oh well still sounds the shizzle:D

Im getting the 2mb broadband, with starter TV and TVDrive. Will come to just less than £40 a month. But with AOL 2mb and Sky full subscription it was a bloody crazy price! Glad Ill save some quid and have HD:)

6. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,052

no rebooting doesnt delete wot u have recorded onto the hdd.

it would stop something that is currently recording. so u would only have partly recorded it.

7. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello

I switched from Sky, one to get HD in time for the World Cup and two to pay a single charge for Broadband, TV and phone. (I will probably take up their mobile offer when the Virgin rebranding sinks in) I have been very happy with it. Admittedly it’s my first PVR so a lot of what I like is not unique to Telewest but added extras include

Teleport Replay which is brilliant, my wife tends to use this a lot.

Teleport Life is a great idea as well. Lots of old series available, including several in HD.

The Teleport Movies is good as well as it has loads of older films from a £1. The extra tuner over Sky is great when you go on a recording frenzy. I actually make better use of the movies package than I did with Sky because every few weeks I record a raft of films.

This may sound silly but a back button to make it easy to flip between two channels.

It has a few issues but nothing which would make me want to give it up.

Occasional freeze requiring a reboot.
    HD can fill up before you know it.
    Channel switching can be a bit slow sometimes.
    No Sky Sports HD / Sky Movies HD (This will arrive at some point)

I am really really delighted with it and would hate to have to give it up and I am hoping the Broadband aspect of the package will drop down in price a bit in the light of Sky’s free Broad band offer. From what I gather most people are also happy except people who receive a faulty box. I can imagine faulty box would cause immense frustration but Telewest appear to be good at replacing them.

Subject to you not getting a faulty box I would be surprised if you don’t love it.

8. def

def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm the other side of the coin. When it works it's great, but it hardly ever works for me. Causes more problems and stress than it's worth, I've had 5 engineers out to solve the problems and they can't do it.

Look lower down this forum for my thread on the problems I've had. As it stands I'd not recommend the TVDrive to anyone until these problems are fixed.

9. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    I think its great . There is always something to watch , whether it be on Teleport TV or , more likely, something that I have recorded . Have never been one to record to video ,and never owned a DVD recorder ,but the PVR side of the TVDrive is fantastic . Had to reboot a few times ,but nothing major . Never had any issue with the recording side .Only gripe, just for something to moan about , is the amount of time you have to wait between pressing Channel + and it actually turning over.