telewest tv capture (newbie)

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by maff2002, Jul 26, 2005.

1. maff2002

maff2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the best way to capture telewest tv?, i have read too much and now have no idea!
    the main thing i want is good quality recording with stereo sound, onto the computer.
    have been looking at tuner cards like hauppage pvr250 and dv capture cards like dazzle dvc150.

any advice would be great, thanks.

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It might just be easier to buy a dvd recorder that has (scart) RGB input!

I looked at various methods of doing exactly what you want to do, but found it to be too expensive, awkward to use and time consuming.

I know it sounds like I'm being very negative, but it's not that I'm trying to discourage you, it's just to save you time and money.

From what I have heard, the panasonic dvd recorders are very good, but basically any with RGB input and that record in a format that can be read by a PC, which is most if not all I believe (some software can even read the 'VR' type of files) would be the easiest solution.

It's possible that there are now some networked HDD recorders available, which is what I was looking for several months ago, this would mean the best of both worlds: doddle to use/access files from PC.

3. maff2002

maff2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a network hdd tv recorder would probably be a pretty good idea. hadn't thought about that.
    there are loads of options to look at, but your right good stuff normally means spending a lot of money!

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Do you have a vivo capable graphics card? Either that or a cheap tuner card with video capture will do. Then making attended recordings is easy enough.

5. maff2002

maff2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'v got a hauppage pci card (the cheapest one) at the moment and although it works, if i put it on full screen it looks poor. recording off it can be done but small res only else it drops loads of frames.

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    I do this in MCe via a RGB to Svideo convertor (£35 from Maplins) works great

7. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I use a scart to s-video adaptor connected from the VCR scart on the Telewest box to a PVR250 tv card. I'm using Hauppauge WinTV to record ATM, but MeedioTV is due for release today, and now supports s-video in, so i'll be giving that a go soon.

8. maff2002

maff2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    willsy2, how do you like the pvr250? does it give good quality capture?
    cheers

9. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    maff2002
    If you're watching and recording the lip synch looks out a touch, for instance if you wanted to make use of time shifting, but when you play the mpeg it's fine. I have mine set on DVD standard play, which generates approx a 2 gig file per hour recorded. I compress the files with AutoGK at approx 4:1 ratio and the quality is still great, though it's not as good as the Hauppauge DEC 2000T which gives much better quality recordings.