1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telewest t*****s

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Matt F, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any other Telewest digital sufferers out there?

Two or three weeks ago they "upgraded" their menu system and it all looks wonderful and informative but how SLOW? You're on BBC1 (channel 101 on Telewest's digibox, for some reason), you wanna switch to Sky Sports 1 (channel 511) so you type in 511 on the handset - a little light flashes on the digibox each time you hit a key, then you wait and nothing happens, then about 5 seconds later "511" appears on the screen and on the digibox and then another 5 seconds later the box finally switches to Sky Sports 1.

As if that wan't bad enough, it's no better if you use the "channel +/-" button to flick up and down channels - you're on 101 and want to go to ITV (103) so you hit "channel up" twice - nothing happens for 5 seconds or more, so you try it again - 5 seconds later it goes to 103 and then, after another 5 seconds, it goes on to 105 (Channel 5)!

It's enough to drive a man insane or, at the very least, make him switch to Sky Digital.

Is it just me or is anyone else suffering?

Matt.

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, but it felt like the speed did pick up a bit after cold booted it.

Still no digital text I notice :mad:

3. buckyball

buckyball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that was a great update by Telewest. My box is now really slow changing channels.

I also noticed that after the original update when you pressed up/down channel it went to the next channel regardless of whether you had subscribed to it or not. If you changed to a channel you did not subscibe to you got a message saying 'phone this number to subscibe to this channel'. A real pain if like me you used the up/down channel to 'surf'.

Anyway, they seem have updated that now so I can't really moan about it!

Big Jim is right though it does seem slightly faster after a hard reset.

Also, interactive on E4 (big brother) seems to have stopped in the last few days - anyone else had this?

4. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My interactive stuff (BBC for the football and Big Brother on E4) are working correctly but a few other bugs exist that would be good to know if others are getting them.

After about 48 hours of being on when you move up or down a channel you lose sound on the channel.

Every now and again on the EPG you can scroll up and down to get to the chanel you want but then the OK key doesn't work.

A cold reboot solves these but I am now tuning the box off overnight and on again the next day just to avoid the problems.

Although my girlfriend has had no problems with her update at all.

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'm having to reboot mine daily otherwise it becomes painfully slow and mutes after a channel change. 'kin annoying if you ask me.

6. buckyball

buckyball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent an email to Telewest and they replied that the slow channels changing 'is a temporary fault which will be rectified shortly'.

Mind you they have been saying the digital text will be 'available soon' since I've had my box!

Interactive seems to be OK now though.