Telewest STB + AV gear in a cupboard advice please!!

Pebble

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, :hiya:

I am looking for a learning remote + RF / IR extender which will control my Telewest STB (pace 4000T), Amp, DVD,PS2 which are now in a wooden cupboard/cabinet with the door approx. 1cm thick.

I understand I would need a red-eye http://redremote.co.uk to change the IRDA signals to RF signals on the STB

A few questions

1. Will the Hotlink extender http://www.letsautomate.com/10230.cfm work with the Red-eye http://redremote.co.uk/ and Telewest STB together?? - This would be my , sorry the wife's prefered option. :blush:

2. will a Harmony learning remote work on the Telewest STB e.g. 885 if using red-eye??

3. If the Hotlink/red-eye/Harmony remote can't work together, what is the smallest rf extender out there (WAF factor) that will work with the STB/red-eye??

4. Is there a IR learning remote that is powerful enough to transmit through a wooden cupboard to the AV gear to save money on the Hotlink??

5. Is there any other alternative (no drilling holes in the cupboard or glass/mesh panels aloud I'm afraid)

Thanks

pebble

Anyone??? :lease:

Since you haven't had any response I'll have a go, but I'm not an expert by any means!

1. Should do. According to the redeye website it will allow the STB to work via an IR repeater, so the repeater would "fire" in to the redeye and other components at the same time.

2. Should be fine. The Harmony will learn pretty much anything you fire at it.(except IRDA)

4. No. IR needs line of sight.

5. According to posts on Remotecentral the Harmony 885 CAN transmit IRDA signals, but it cannot learn them. The user there sent his original remote to Harmony and they were able to add its commands to the database. If you were prepared to do this you would be able to get away with an IRDA compatable IR extender only(won't need the redeye). Another option would be an RF remote, but that would be quite a bit more expensive than the Harmony, and you would still need the redeye.
I would suggest contacting Harmony tech support to confirm this before you buy one however.

czzer,

Thanks for your quick reply at this time in the morning. :thumbsup:

Good to know the hotlink/red-eye combo will probably work - will go for that one I think

Thanks
again czzer

pebble

Yes, that would work fine, but you'd still need the redeye as you said.

Not as powerful or as easy to use as the Harmony, but it all comes down to budget. It would also be a neater installation without the Hotlink.

Good luck!

I don't think you need a red-eye with the Kameleon 10 as it is compatiable with IrDA.

GreenBars said:
I don't think you need a red-eye with the Kameleon 10 as it is compatiable with IrDA.

I can't see on any website that the Kameleon 10 is compatible with irda

Have you a link?

Ta

Thanks Greenbars, youv've saved me some cash there. :thumbsup:
Have a :beer: on me.

I take it your cable box works ok with your remote without the red-eye?

I don't have the type of cable box that uses IrDA.

I have ordered the Kameleon 10. Hopefully it should do the trick.

Thanks guys for your info

pebble

Pebble,

I was about to go down exactly the same route as you first thought, have the same demand to move the gear and the same setup with Telewest.

Did the Kameleon work?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom